Vanette Cooker and Hob

GSer

Featured Posts

Hi Paul

Hope you are well

I heard that the vanette range was now unavailable, but then subsequently heard that you can sometimes get replacement parts, so it depends on who you ask!

We have a vanette hob and oven, still going strong, but recently replaced the vanette sink with something bigger from B&Q. I have bought replacement parts for the vanette hob off the internet, so you could try googling!!!

Cheers

Jo

We looked for the Vannette gear too, but couldn't find any, but......

SpinFlo Midi Prima Oven & Grill [seperate compartments] £325, and the Argent [spinflo] recessed Hob with lid £235 both from Denham Yatch Marina in Uxbridge.

We are about to fit these, so can't comment on performance yet, but build quality appears to be very good and they look OK too.

Edited by johnjo

We looked for the Vannette gear too, but couldn't find any, but......

SpinFlo Midi Prima Oven & Grill [seperate compartments] £325, and the Argent [spinflo] recessed Hob with lid £235 both from Denham Yatch Marina in Uxbridge.

We are about to fit these, so can't comment on performance yet, but build quality appears to be very good and they look OK too.

Are you using these to replace old Vanette stuff (ie using the same apertures)?

My galley is a lovely pro built solid wood affair & i'm not that keen on attacking it, if I can get away with a direct replacement.

Paul

Are you using these to replace old Vanette stuff (ie using the same apertures)?

My galley is a lovely pro built solid wood affair & i'm not that keen on attacking it, if I can get away with a direct replacement.

Paul

Can only give you the dimensions of what we are fitting [plus the Spinflo alternative offerings] I'm afraid, but hope they'll help.

The 3/4 Grill/Oven/Bottom drawer .......H 844 x W 444 x D 450

The 1/2 Grill/Oven ................................H 644 x W 444 x D 450

The Grill only ........................................H 283 x W 444 x D 450

All need a minimum air space on 80 down the back plus an air gap of 10 at the top and need a [gas] vent at the lowest point.

Fits in a hole :-

[3/4] W 445 x H 846

[1/2] W 445 x H 646

[Grill] W 445 x H 288

John

Can only give you the dimensions of what we are fitting [plus the Spinflo alternative offerings] I'm afraid, but hope they'll help.

The 3/4 Grill/Oven/Bottom drawer .......H 844 x W 444 x D 450

The 1/2 Grill/Oven ................................H 644 x W 444 x D 450

The Grill only ........................................H 283 x W 444 x D 450

All need a minimum air space on 80 down the back plus an air gap of 10 at the top and need a [gas] vent at the lowest point.

Fits in a hole :-

[3/4] W 445 x H 846

[1/2] W 445 x H 646

[Grill] W 445 x H 288

John

Thats a great help, thanks!

Just a couple of other questions, sorry :lol:

How big is the hole for the hob?

And where does the gas vent need to vent to?

Paul

I have these fitted in the galley at the moment, a Vanette 4000 hob and a Super 4 oven, both are getting tired and tatty so I was thinking of a replacement.

Is Vanette stuff still made???

Paul

Hi

It seems that Vanette is marketed as Stoves now

See Midland Chandlers

Alex

That's a good question: I'm thinking of installing one of these too and have downloaded the manual. The relevant bit is this:

This appliance is suitable for installation into Holiday Homes, Touring Caravans and Boats.

In all cases the national standards with regard to ventilation for the particular vehicle into

which the appliance is to be installed must be adhered to.

The appliance MUST have a gas escape hole (min size 50mm Ø; max 70mm Ø; or

shaped hole of equivalent area – 1965 to 3850mm2 ) in the floor, directly beneath the

appliance and positioned at the rear as shown in Fig. 3. The hole MUST vent to the

outside and should be baffled to prevent direct draught to the appliance.

Which makes perfect sense for a caravan, but no sense at all for a boat.

Manual download here.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Thats a great help, thanks!

Just a couple of other questions, sorry :lol:

How big is the hole for the hob?

Paul

Hob size is W 570 x D 470, not sure of the hole size required, the controls are along the left or right side. Sits about 10mm above the worktop.

Gas vent must be to the outside, not much point having one otherwise, usually via a slotted vent in the side of the boat, ours is immediately below the top running strake just below the gunnel.

John

I have these fitted in the galley at the moment, a Vanette 4000 hob and a Super 4 oven, both are getting tired and tatty so I was thinking of a replacement.

Paul

No and the parts are running out too so they aren't really the way to go even if you can find a new old stock one.

Gas vent must be to the outside, not much point having one otherwise, usually via a slotted vent in the side of the boat, ours is immediately below the top running strake just below the gunnel.

That might work for the hob (just) but would be near useless for the oven or grill in the event of escaped gas. I'm going to guess that as long as the carcas has holes to let leaked gas out to disipate(ish) in the bilges and allow proper ventillation back in, that will be enough. As long as the gas isn't trapped in the oven and its box next time it's lit.

Paul

I tried to source a top opening red replacement door for a Vanette stove via a local chandler but they didnt succeed. Trying on line the best I can see is:

ESpares

So they may have some things for you

I get all my oven and hob bits from www.kitcheneconomy.co.uk

They're very knowledable and helpful.

Mike

That might work for the hob (just) but would be near useless for the oven or grill in the event of escaped gas. I'm going to guess that as long as the carcas has holes to let leaked gas out to disipate(ish) in the bilges and allow proper ventillation back in, that will be enough. As long as the gas isn't trapped in the oven and its box next time it's lit.

Paul

We are mounting the oven & grill above worktop height, so the system we have, vent just below gunnel works in our case, but obviously if floor mounted would need to be vented another way.

I would have thought that venting into the bilges would not be best as it could become trapped there and build up to a dangerous level.

It might be better to seek the advice of a boat examiner who can actually look at your installation.

John

GSer.

The idea of gas vents applies to motorhomes and caravans etc, as I believe the rules allow actually allow for a permissable drop during gas tightness testing (eg a leak) which we are not allowed on boats. As others correctly point out this is because there is nowhere for the gas to escape to. There is nothng in the BSS regulations that mentions this specifically as private craft do not fall under the scope of the GSIUR regualtions.

Johnjo,

"We are mounting the oven & grill above worktop height, so the system we have, vent just below gunnel works in our case, but obviously if floor mounted would need to be vented another way"

Are you referring to a vent to the outside of the craft? LPG is heavier than air and will likely sink to the bilge if leaking so I can't see your vent being effective as any leaking gas will likely travel past your vent. The answer is to have your gas installed by a competent installer and to not have leaks in the first place. Consider installing a bubble tester so you can test gas tighness regularly. Far more use than a hole in the side of the boat!

Someone also said they bought a replacement from B & Q (sorry can't find post at this moment) - I was just going to point out that you need to ensure any replacement LPG appliance fitted since 3rd Jan 2000 must have FSD/FFD or it will fail it's BSS examination.

Hope this helps, it's not always easy to find reason/answers in gas matters.

Tom

• 3 months later...

Paul

No and the parts are running out too so they aren't really the way to go even if you can find a new old stock one.

Is this definitely correct ?

At the moment both Midland Chandlers and our local marina are offering a hob which although now sold as Stoves still actually says Vanette 4000/2 on it.

Is the claim that this is actually an obsoleted product where you would find difficulty buying spares ? (Or not?).

Is this definitely correct ?

At the moment both Midland Chandlers and our local marina are offering a hob which although now sold as Stoves still actually says Vanette 4000/2 on it.

Is the claim that this is actually an obsoleted product where you would find difficulty buying spares ? (Or not?).

I found the spares for mine in the end, some parts were Vanette and others were just generic gas parts.

Paul

Yes.

Bu88er!

So best to avoid ones being sold as "new" then, I guess ?

Given that I'm restricted on depth of the works-urface into which mine needs to go, it looks like I'm restricted to a Spinflo then ?

Which in some ways looks an even less appealing offering.....

Unless anyone knows of any other alternative not much over 400mm front to back ?

• 2 years later...

We would like to replace our vanette oven and hob.

Did any of the members in this thread discover a good replacement model?

I am not near the boat at the moment so can't measure the aperture size that it fits into (the boatyard currently working on the boat should call me this afternoon with the dimensions), but I do know that I don't have much lee-way in cutting a bigger aperture, so any replacement is going to have to fit into the same space as the vanette.

Help much appreciated.

Joshua

Can't help on the oven front, but IIRC the "Spinflo" hob should go in in place of a Vanette. It is possible you might need to trim a few bits back, slightly more, but unlikely there would be issues with the Spinflo not fully covering the "hole" the other one came out of.

IMO the Spinflo is in no way a better or clasier product - possibly even the opposite. It's only advantage over the Vaneette appears to be that you can still buy one, (and spares).

We would like to replace our vanette oven and hob.

Did any of the members in this thread discover a good replacement model?

Ooo! This is a dusty old thread. I didn't find a replacement in the end and the boat sold with the Vanette stuff still in it, i just got a good service done on it before it sold.

Paul

Can't help on the oven front, but IIRC the "Spinflo" hob should go in in place of a Vanette. It is possible you might need to trim a few bits back, slightly more, but unlikely there would be issues with the Spinflo not fully covering the "hole" the other one came out of.

IMO the Spinflo is in no way a better or clasier product - possibly even the opposite. It's only advantage over the Vaneette appears to be that you can still buy one, (and spares).

Thanks, our Internet research corroborates your view.

It appears that we might just have to live with the Vanette for now and then before it dies of old age, redesign the whole galley to take a more standard size oven.

The level of sophistication of gas ovens in general seems very poor.

Joshua