HELP BOAT SINKING!!!!!

boatbot

Featured Posts

Not as late as me! But nice one Carl, got it sorted and no messin',

But surely all this gushing approbation is a little dangerous for the head?

I'm sure if any of you had the kit and the ability and a sinking boat down the cut you would have done the same?

Wouldn't you if you could?

That's the people of the cut for you..... :lol:

wowiee! I've only just got home, not had tinternet for a couple of days, but I've missed all the excitement! Carl, top job bloke, full marks :lol: I'm glad everything's under control, you must have sighed a massive breath of relief boatbot!

tb4.jpg

Is this carl on his way to another rescue? We seem to have our own Canal World International Rescue going on!

wowiee! I've only just got home, not had tinternet for a couple of days, but I've missed all the excitement! Carl, top job bloke, full marks :lol: I'm glad everything's under control, you must have sighed a massive breath of relief boatbot!

tb4.jpg

Is this carl on his way to another rescue? We seem to have our own Canal World International Rescue going on!

I think he is needed down the puddle banks at Braunston, The last two times that we have passed there is a cruiser that looks like its sitting on the bottom. I very surprised that it was still like it on our second visit, I thought someone would have pumped it by then. I can't remember the name of the boat but its from Leith.

There's a chap on those moorings who I gave my petrol pumps to, when I left the cut, so I imagine he will refloat it, if necessary.

If it's the old sea boat, though, I imagine, at some stage, it will be dragged out and burnt.

Iirc, it was pretty far gone, below the waterline.

Winter solstice is usually a popular boat pyre time.

Edited by carlt

For taking the trouble and having the expertise and equipment to deal with a potential sinking, thank you Carl.

Your speedy actions have gone a long way to help keep the trust and hope that we less experienced boaters place in the 'Canal Community' :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Came past it yesterday, it's name is Odessa, BW No 53971. It is taxed 'till 01/10.

We came passed today and the boat has gone, I don't know if she was refloated or craned out and taken away. She looked a nice boat above the waterline.

We are now at Hillmorton and heading towards the Ashby

We came passed today and the boat has gone, I don't know if she was refloated or craned out and taken away. She looked a nice boat above the waterline.

We are now at Hillmorton and heading towards the Ashby

Sorry we missed you. Catch you next time hopefully

Sue

Definately!

For the people in Rugby does anyone remember "The Saxon"-? That s why I was sooo worried as that boat sank or nearly did-What about Vincent-anyone know him? The Saxon was a complete write off -the water came in via the stern tube-as Vincent didn't know-

last time I saw him he was still on his normal visitor moorings that was a good few months ago though...

Bearded scruffy fella if I remember right? I had a right go at him once and offered to teach him to swim on the spot for emptying his oily bilges in the cut a few years ago.

(note - I too am a scruffy bearded boater - thats no fluffin excuse)

Boatbot contacted me, by PM, to ask me to empty the bilges for him but, as the water was filthy and the boat was not in any danger, I felt it was too much to ask me to get myself and my pumps covered in oil. I would have had to drain the water into butts and dispose of it, too.

I said I'd keep an eye on it but that would seem unnecessary, too, now.

Edited to remove DC's quote as it is about a different boat.

Edited by carlt

Boatbot contacted me, by PM, to ask me to empty the bilges for him but, as the water was filthy and the boat was not in any danger, I felt it was too much to ask me to get myself and my pumps covered in oil. I would have had to drain the water into butts and dispose of it, too.

I said I'd keep an eye on it but that would seem unnecessary, too, now.

Edited to remove DC's quote as it is about a different boat.

Ok Carl fair enough -as long its not going to get worse? Believe me if i wasn't 11,000 miles away I would do it myself!! I will get back to the boat but I am not sure when-what do u advise to get the water out?-u mentioned pumps-would that be a hand pump?

Ok Carl fair enough -as long its not going to get worse? Believe me if i wasn't 11,000 miles away I would do it myself!! I will get back to the boat but I am not sure when-what do u advise to get the water out?-u mentioned pumps-would that be a hand pump?

you need to, carefully, pump out the water from underneath the oil - it should be fairly clean and can be pumped onto the bank, not into the canal, where the soil will clean it, until just the oil is left

Next, pump the oil into a container until you can't get any more out .

Then use absorbent materials to absorb the rest.

Needless to say the waste oil and the absorbent materials must be disposed of at a council dump that has facilities for such waste.

I would generally advise a hand pump as it will avoid mixing the oil and water but if there is a sufficient quantity of water you could use a bilge pump until the water starts to get oily.

Edited by Chris Pink

you need to, carefully, pump out the water from underneath the oil - it should be fairly clean and can be pumped onto the bank, not into the canal, where the soil will clean it, until just the oil is left

Next, pump the oil into a container until you can't get any more out .

Then use absorbent materials to absorb the rest.

Needless to say the waste oil and the absorbent materials must be disposed of at a council dump that has facilities for such waste.

I would generally advise a hand pump as it will avoid mixing the oil and water but if there is a sufficient quantity of water you could use a bilge pump until the water starts to get oily.

Thanks Chris-The pump-where can u acquire one?

Thanks Chris-The pump-where can u acquire one?

I have been following this for some time, it strikes me that following Carls selfless act and boatbots geographicals............ahhh duck it..... run out of words....