Lambordini 4cyl engine

Featured Posts

A small number boats I've clocked on the net are fitted with Lambordini 4cyl engines.

This is not a name I'm fully familiar with any body on here got good or bad info. about them.

Done a forum search an un-earthed little if any thing.

Thanks in advance

A small number boats I've clocked on the net are fitted with Lambordini 4cyl engines.

This is not a name I'm fully familiar with any body on here got good or bad info. about them.

Thanks in advance

I think you will find it is LOMBARDINI and I think they are Italian. Thats all I know, I think...........

I think you will find it is LOMBARDINI and I think they are Italian. Thats all I know, I think...........

Cheers,

That might explain the lack of info. via search. :lol:

(Spelling was copy 'n' paste from a listing on that rocket duck thingy.....)

Edited by MJG

Mine's fitted with the Lombardini LDW 1404 (yes it is Italian), 1700 hrs done and it hasn't let me down yet. Fuel consumption averages 1.2 litres/hr which seems to compare favourably with some other makes. Haven't heard any bad reports. Be interesting to hear other opinions.

Mine's fitted with the Lombardini LDW 1404 (yes it is Italian), 1700 hrs done and it hasn't let me down yet. Fuel consumption averages 1.2 litres/hr which seems to compare favourably with some other makes. Haven't heard any bad reports. Be interesting to hear other opinions.

May I ask what gearbox Lombardini tend to fit?

PRM 120 on mine but don't know if actually fitted by Lombardini or at build

Cheers, just wondered if it had a Technodrive being Italian, but obviously not. That has to be an advantage.

I'd be interested in hearing as well. A friend is currently considering a boat with a Lombordini LDW 1204 and technodrive TMC60 gearbox arrangement.

The engine has 1800 hours on it and appears to be very tidy

recently had to try and get one of these repaired and to quote from a reputable gearbox repair company"Tie some rope round it and use it as an anchor"

Thanks in advance

They make a range of engines and certainly some of them use a cam timing belt. Nothing would induce me to fit a boat with a belt time engine. I can do without the four figure bill when it snaps.

They also tend to use an internal, mechanical, proprietary fuel injection system (camshaft operate unit injectors). When I worked at TVU I set up a course for BT engineers covering generator engines and some for the smaller exchanges used Lombardini engines. At this point I must state that whenever we asked for information from dealers or manufacturers once they had established who we were we always got the help we needed. Now, recognising I had to keep the BT engineers away from injection equipment I phoned the Lombardini UK

and asked for a general instructions on how the system worked (the sort of thing that is often in workshop manuals) so I could use that information to explain why the engineers had better not touch it. I was astounded when all they would say is - I quote "tell them to contact our approved service engineers". In the marine situation that tells me that you should expect costly service bills if you use Lomabadini.

Finally an engineer of many years experience that I respect who probably attends many hundreds of boats a year implied that once a Lombardini has suffered a major problem the owner would be best advised not to throw good money after bad in getting it repaired.

I too have issues with Vetus but they are no way related to the basic (Mitsubishi) engineering. My problems wit Lombardini are.

They make a range of engines and certainly some of them use a cam timing belt. Nothing would induce me to fit a boat with a belt time engine. I can do without the four figure bill when it snaps.

They also tend to use an internal, mechanical, proprietary fuel injection system (camshaft operate unit injectors). When I worked at TVU I set up a course for BT engineers covering generator engines and some for the smaller exchanges used Lombardini engines. At this point I must state that whenever we asked for information from dealers or manufacturers once they had established who we were we always got the help we needed. Now, recognising I had to keep the BT engineers away from injection equipment I phoned the Lombardini UK

and asked for a general instructions on how the system worked (the sort of thing that is often in workshop manuals) so I could use that information to explain why the engineers had better not touch it. I was astounded when all they would say is - I quote "tell them to contact our approved service engineers". In the marine situation that tells me that you should expect costly service bills if you use Lomabadini.

Finally an engineer of many years experience that I respect who probably attends many hundreds of boats a year implied that once a Lombardini has suffered a major problem the owner would be best advised not to throw good money after bad in getting it repaired.

I too have issues with Vetus but they are no way related to the basic (Mitsubishi) engineering. My problems wit Lombardini are.

We have a Lombardini 1404 in our boat and very pleased with it. (Had said engine now 5yrs). We have been told in the past 'if you ever have any major probs consider having another make/engine replacement'. Strangely, have just asked the Lombardini service agents what the cost would be for a cambelt service to be done. awaiting their reply.

Hi Tony thanks for the info. I take it then they are all 'interference engines' ie when the cam-belt snaps the valves meet the pistons....just checking as not all engines that drive the valves via cam belts get trashed when the belt snaps, some just grind to a halt...... :lol:

Edited by MJG

We have a Lombardini 1404 in our boat and very pleased with it. (Had said engine now 5yrs). We have been told in the past 'if you ever have any major probs consider having another make/engine replacement'. Strangely, have just asked the Lombardini service agents what the cost would be for a cambelt service to be done. awaiting their reply.

Yes the service manual states that the cambelt should be changed every 2500 hrs. Be interesting to know cost of this when you find out.

Hi Tony thanks for the info. I take it then they are all 'interference engines' ie when the cam-belt snaps the valves meet the pistons....just checking as not all engines that drive the valves via cam belts get trashed when the belt snaps, some just grind to a halt...... :lol:

I think simple physics dictaes any diesel will be an interference engine otherwise they will not get the compression needed to fire the fuel. For instance the air cooled Listers have a bump clearance (the gap between the piston and cylinder head) of between 0.020" and 0.038" depending upon model and valves open a lot more than that.

You are unlikely to find the bump clearance for a modern engine because there is no facility to adjust it. You just have to trust the manufacturer but it will be similar and possibly less on engines with heater plugs.

I know my Montego had a safe engine because the belt snapped well before it's due replacement time and it had not been contaminated by oily bilge water. However always assume a diesel will definitely be unsafe until you see anything different in writing.

Also consider how easy access is to the front of the engine, often there is an immovable bulkhead just in front of it. When you replace cam belts you need very good visual access to triple check the valve timing is correct. I would expect one tooth out on a diesel to cause extensive damage if the engine is run or forced to turn over. There are methods of changing cam belts without needing to check the timing but I shudder when I have seen them employed. Many seem to involve a Stanley knife to halve the width of the belt on a running engine, cutting the front half away and the forcing the new belt onto the front half of the sprockets. Then cutting the other half of the old belt free, again with the engine running using a hammer shaft to push the new belt into position.

I know I am seen by some as a Luddite but belts are fine in cars and vans, big chains and better still hefty gears are far better and require virtually no regular servicing.

Thanks in advance

My experience with a Lombardini 1204 fitted to our previous Canal Boat:

The engine is well made, light and responsive, ideal for small plant, diggers etc and generator sets.

NOT ideal for canal boats.

1:- Cam belt to be changed every 2500 hrs. As it's at the front of the engine (no room at all on our installation) it was a case of either removing the engine, or as I did, cutting an access hole in the bulkhead and making up a bolted watertight strong sealed panel.

2:- At about 4000 hrs the engine began to run roughly and have black smoke from the exhaust, indicating that the injectors needed serviceing. So sent away for serviceing.

To refit the injectors required EXPENSIVE setting and test equipment, to get the injector timing correct, and balancing to get all injectors to deliver a balanced fuel flow at 1500rpm.

I have quite a lot of experience with Truck/Car and Aircraft engines which helped.

I have the very comprehensive workshop manual from Lombardini which covers various models. I also purchased some, and made up some, of the necessary equipment.

Quite a procedure to set the engine up correctly.

If anyone would like to borrow the equipment or chat about how to go about it please contact me.

Thanks for all the input so far,

Just how do these engines compare to -

Beta Marine,

Vetus.

Barris Shrire

and any other makes...

Apols for any spelling mistakes.

Edited by MJG

Beta Marine,

Vetus.

Barris Shrire

and any other makes...

I am very impressed with the Vetus (Mitsubishi) 415 engine. It is a simple engine with no cam belts and things. It is very easy to service, however genuine filters are a bit expensive. I did have to do a modification to the cooling system.to get it to work efficiently.

The gearbox on my Vetus is a Technodrive. I am not impressed with this in any way. It is very noisy when engaging gear. to be fair it has been reliable for over 1000 Hrs, but I wouldn't want another. If it fails I shall replace with a PRM.

Overall a good engine spoiled by the gearbox.

Beta Marine,

Vetus.

Barris Shrire

and any other makes...

The only thing that I have heard about Lombardini is that they are noisier than some.

I only have experience of one of your selection and that is the Beta 75 (in a wide beam) based on the Kubota industrial engine and it was superb. It was quiet, started instantly, did everything required and kept its oil remarkably clean between scheduled changes. I've got no hesitation in having the Beta 90 (again, Kubota based) for my new barge. I'm not sure whether Beta's smaller range is Kubota based or not, perhaps someone else can advise.

Roger