Isuzu engine stop solenoid

stuart

Featured Posts

My Isuzu 4LB1 (35hp) engine has recently stopped "stopping" !!

Thought it was a faulty stop switch but turns out the solenoid had seized. I've managed to get it running again with plenty of WD40 and a few taps of a hammer !

If it goes again soon then I'm going to have to replace it. The Isuzu dealers (Alvechurch) want £177 +VAT for a new one - ouch!!

The original part is made by Hitachi and has "MV1" on it - its a bit smaller than a coke can.

Any alternatives/similar makes that fit?

My Isuzu 4LB1 (35hp) engine has recently stopped "stopping" !!

Thought it was a faulty stop switch but turns out the solenoid had seized. I've managed to get it running again with plenty of WD40 and a few taps of a hammer !

If it goes again soon then I'm going to have to replace it. The Isuzu dealers (Alvechurch) want £177 +VAT for a new one - ouch!!

The original part is made by Hitachi and has "MV1" on it - its a bit smaller than a coke can.

Any alternatives/similar makes that fit?

Anything useful on this Ebay advert?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stop-Solenoids-For-m...id=p3286.c0.m14

This sort of thing?

Bosch_Type_Stop_Solenoid_Valves.jpg

PC

How about here: link

Richard

I am not sure what the 'stop solenoid' actually does. The only sure way to stop a proper diesel engine is to cut off it supply of fuel and, in my book, a simple manual system is bound to be more reliable than anything electrical - after all when you need it, you need it to work first time without fail!

I am not sure what the 'stop solenoid' actually does. The only sure way to stop a proper diesel engine is to cut off it supply of fuel and, in my book, a simple manual system is bound to be more reliable than anything electrical - after all when you need it, you need it to work first time without fail!

... bent control rod on a manual stop gave problems once ... solenoids are a fly-by-wire means of cutting off the fuel, little solenoid-activated plunger IIRC, if a road vehicle equivalent can be found I'd be off the the nearest independant motor spares factors for a replacement (not the main dealers ! ) :lol:

Ours was a fail safe i.e. solenoid energises to switch fuel on. I assume they are all the same

Thanks for the replies folks, still looking though as none of them are very similar to what I have on the Isuzu.

I'll try and get some pictures.

Isn't there a manual stop on your injector pump? There is on ours... It looks like a handle with a hole at the top. When our stop switch started playing up we just used the manual stop until the nice chappie fixed it.

they have been in use on ford 1.6/1.8 diesels (and many many others) since 1984, i had one that had done 220k miles, the stop solenoid was changed once. normally very reliable, but when it does pack up they are cheap to replace, unless you use it in a marine application.....

get you home trick with a road going vehicle is to remove solenoid and throw away plunger, refit and stall to stop. bit harder on a boat though :lol:

edited to add, they do indeed cut of the fuel supply, just like proper diesels :lol:

Edited by gazza

they have been in use on ford 1.6/1.8 diesels (and many many others) since 1984, i had one that had done 220k miles, the stop solenoid was changed once. normally very reliable, but when it does pack up they are cheap to replace, unless you use it in a marine application.....

get you home trick with a road going vehicle is to remove solenoid and throw away plunger, refit and stall to stop. bit harder on a boat though :lol:

edited to add, they do indeed cut of the fuel supply, just like proper diesels :lol:

The Peugeot 205 that I used to own had such a solenoid in the fuel pump, but it wasn't as big as described earlier. I don't know if a solenoid nearly as big as a coke can actually works on a mechanical shut off.

Richard

Ours was a fail safe i.e. solenoid energises to switch fuel on. I assume they are all the same

No.

Several years ago, we were moored at Fools Nook on the Macc, and a hire boater pulled up, tied up, and kept the engine running.

After 15 minutes, they came over and asked if we could help as they couldn't stop the engine.

Sure enough the engine stop didn't work, and after scratching my head for a few minutes I saw the problem.

They had turned off the ignition before operating the stop button, so there was no power to the stop solenoid. Turned the ignition back on, and the stop button worked.

Given that engine stop on ours works by turning the key anti-clock from "off", I believe that it must be energise to stop (otherwise the solenoid would be energised when the key is in the "off" position)

Correct, on the Isuzu engine, the solenoid is energised to stop engine.

I've been using the manual engine stop lever for a few weeks now - works fine but a pain to keep lifting deck boards on a cruiser stern.

Still havent found a cheaper supplier (yet)!

• 7 years later...

You could replace with a manual stop, that's what I did on our L/Petter.

That's what I did too on my Isuzu. The solenoid still works but I got a bit of a shock once when a wire in the back of the panel came loose and the engine wouldn't stop. I installed a "pull to stop" cable so if the solenoid ever really stops working I can still stop the engine quickly without having to get the deckboards up. Could be useful in an emergency, although for a runaway engine the only thing that stops it is smothering the air intake.

Edited by blackrose

Seriously spoke to a isuzu dealer today who said a new solenoid was £404 !! Anyone able to shed any light on this matter, this seems outrageous for a stop switch... any advice much apreciated. Thanks

That looks like a mistake or a pisstake.

Try forktruck firms. Some trucks have similar bace engines and some firms have salvaged parts.

Seriously spoke to a isuzu dealer today who said a new solenoid was £404 !! Anyone able to shed any light on this matter, this seems outrageous for a stop switch... any advice much apreciated. Thanks

It certainly would be outrageous for a stop switch, but that's not what a solenoid is. I don't think it's cheap for a solenoid either, but its only really fair to compare against similar units from other manufacturers.