Building at the foot of Hurleston Junction?

Boatgypsy

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me anything about this building. It is no longer there, but I spotted it in an old photo and sure enough, when I checked, the vague outlines of the foundations can still be seen in the undergrowth. What was its use and when/why was it demolished?

I haven't been 'on the ground' thereabouts, but from the satellite pictures there looks to be what might have been foundations of a stable block close by the first lock and near the turnover bridge on the south side of the first lock. Also being a junction between two canals, some control over tolls to be collected might have needed a small building at least.

Only a calculated guess I'm afraid.

Derek

I haven't been 'on the ground' thereabouts, but from the satellite pictures there looks to be what might have been foundations of a stable block close by the first lock and near the turnover bridge on the south side of the first lock. Also being a junction between two canals, some control over tolls to be collected might have needed a small building at least.

Only a calculated guess I'm afraid.

Derek

There used to be a two storey house opposite the bottom of Hurleston Locks for the Shropshire Union Canal Toll keeper . I think it survived up until the 1960's ( it may have gone when a number of the lock cottages on the canal were demolished) - I have seen photos of it ( cant remember where though) and till comparitively recently some of the domestic hedges that formed its boundary were still evident.

There used to be a two storey house opposite the bottom of Hurleston Locks for the Shropshire Union Canal Toll keeper . I think it survived up until the 1960's ( it may have gone when a number of the lock cottages on the canal were demolished) - I have seen photos of it ( cant remember where though) and till comparitively recently some of the domestic hedges that formed its boundary were still evident.

Yes, that's what I had assumed. The hedges are still there, as are the iron railings at the front boundary and the banks around the garden.

Whatever it was, it's a shame it's gone. It would have been a beautiful spot to live.

Yes, that's what I had assumed. The hedges are still there, as are the iron railings at the front boundary and the banks around the garden.

Whatever it was, it's a shame it's gone. It would have been a beautiful spot to live.

http://www.virtualwaterways.co.uk/Aqueducts.html

I knew the building had a history - built by Telford and demolished in the 1960s....The link takes you to a picture of it!

A x

http://www.virtualwaterways.co.uk/Aqueducts.html

I knew the building had a history - built by Telford and demolished in the 1960s....The link takes you to a picture of it!

A x

Although a sad loss, it was the demolition of this house that sufficiently maddened John Smith (a wealthy waterways supporter) that he started The Landmark Trust which has saved many fine buildings around the country including a lock cottage on the Tardebigge flight and Tixhall Gatehouse by Tixhall Wide.

Paul H

Although a sad loss, it was the demolition of this house that sufficiently maddened John Smith (a wealthy waterways supporter) that he started The Landmark Trust which has saved many fine buildings around the country including a lock cottage on the Tardebigge flight and Tixhall Gatehouse by Tixhall Wide.

Paul H

The world of preservation owes a great deal to John Smith who was not only a supporter of saving old buildings and canals but other sectors as well such as fairground history .

Its an interesting thought though if that building had not been demolished the Landmark Trust would not have been formed so they would have not employed a certain Mr R Evans as their Chief Executive in 1986 so who in that case would now be in charge of BW ?.