Mooring

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

God looks after those who look after themselves. Moor up properly and stop wingeing about the occasional passing craft.

mmmm yeh right, you're saying that if moored correctly(?) a boat can pass you at any speed and cause no real disturbance? Well i'm afraid thats not the case in my world even moored with two lines, 2 springs and two standoffs all set in place with double pins, on a narrow shallow canal you are still at the mercy of passing craft hence the need for a little thought and consideration when passing boats

Or perhaps it's only on the K&A that this is an issue? A narrow canal with widebeam locks and very few pilings.

Paul

mmmm yeh right, you're saying that if moored correctly(?) a boat can pass you at any speed and cause no real disturbance?

Boats, canals and moorings will all vary.

- However, ive had emilyanne moored near cowley, with springs at details above, and had a loaded blunt fronted land&water gravel barge pass at a fast walking or slow jogging speed and would happy describe our movements as 'no real disturbance' certainly i did not feel at any risk going about the actions of cooking dinner and making a pot of tea.

Equally, while again im sure all boats behave differently, im confident that i will return to emilyanne to find her as she is and floating level against the mud bank assuming there has been no significant change in the level of the pound. If anything, passing boats help keep her moving should the leval drop a little.

Daniel

Boats, canals and moorings will all vary.

- However, ive had emilyanne moored near cowley, with springs at details above, and had a loaded blunt fronted land&water gravel barge pass at a fast walking or slow jogging speed and would happy describe our movements as 'no real disturbance' certainly i did not feel at any risk going about the actions of cooking dinner and making a pot of tea.

Equally, while again im sure all boats behave differently, im confident that i will return to emilyanne to find her as she is and floating level against the mud bank assuming there has been no significant change in the level of the pound. If anything, passing boats help keep her moving should the leval drop a little.

Daniel

FWIW if i saw your boat moored like that I would take extra, extra care when passing :lol:

It not the moving about of the boat that worries me (after all we CHOSE to live on a boat) but it's the pulling of pins that is a problem, a 'list' can be sorted with 'standoffs' and jury rigged planks. But once in place and moored, passing fast boats can still pull pins with relative ease whereas a nice gently steered boat is unlikely to cause issues.

Paul

Alternatively, appreciate that some years have passed since the 1950's, and that the canals are a different place, with a different pace and different standards.

Boat with consideration, and stop whinging about how much better it was in your day.

Many things have changed since the 1950s, but to the best of my knowledge, the Laws of Physics and in particular the Laws of Hydrodynamics are still the same.

Many things have changed since the 1950s, but to the best of my knowledge, the Laws of Physics and in particular the Laws of Hydrodynamics are still the same.

Indeed so.

However, if you were within 100 miles of the present day, you would realise that the hydrodynamics of the canals that you worked on, and the hydrodynamics of most canals in 2009 are very different, because the profiles are different due to a lack of dredging.

Indeed so.

However, if you were within 100 miles of the present day, you would realise that the hydrodynamics of the canals that you worked on, and the hydrodynamics of most canals in 2009 are very different, because the profiles are different due to a lack of dredging.

100 miles equated to time at latitude n 51.5 (London) is approximately 5hrs 52mins, what is your point ?

If you refer to my original comment it is obvious that I was a merchant seaman reflecting on my observations on how commercial narrowboats were safely moored alongside for working cargo. The canals which I worked on are a non-sequitur as they were ones like the Manchester Ship Canal, the Keil Canal, the Amsterdam-Yjmuiden Canal etc. and I assure you that 10 knots was a normal speed in all of these locations and we didn't cause accidents.

But did you spill anyones tea :lol:

I expect so, but at 10 kts one is going at 337 yards in a minute and it would require an incredibly quick reaction, to hail you before you are out of earshot.

However, having said that, in the 1950s, the commonest drinking implement on British ships was the half pint P.L.A. mug and I don't recall ever seeing an unchipped one, so on that documentary evidence alone it is most likely.

100 miles equated to time at latitude n 51.5 (London) is approximately 5hrs 52mins, what is your point ?

If you refer to my original comment it is obvious that I was a merchant seaman reflecting on my observations on how commercial narrowboats were safely moored alongside for working cargo. The canals which I worked on are a non-sequitur as they were ones like the Manchester Ship Canal, the Keil Canal, the Amsterdam-Yjmuiden Canal etc. and I assure you that 10 knots was a normal speed in all of these locations and we didn't cause accidents.

<sigh>

Do we REALLY have to go through the WHOLE explanation of why the hydrodynamics on shallow, narrow waterways are different again?

FWIW if i saw your boat moored like that I would take extra, extra care when passing

- It not the moving about of the boat that worries me (after all we CHOSE to live on a boat) but it's the pulling of pins that is a problem

Well in the photo, its on goat chains. Full speed ahead surely???

• 6 years later...

The K&A newbury to reading is a river so you need bow stern and a spring ! i normally put spring upstream , to be honest its a waste of time as 90% of the time your in shallow water and grounded 3ft or more out from the bank and on angle !!! welcome to the K&A ,

most of the boats in the past going to fast were hire boats but as of late its 50 50 sadly

to calculate cruising times for the K&A add locks bridges and miles together divide by 3 that is cruising time really is a good guide

most sections are prone to level change so you cant have ropes to tight ,

be prepared if you are thinking of venturing our way