Dog Harness

Pan

Featured Posts

Hi every one. We have just got a large dog & my wife ( and me ) is worried about getting it out of the canal when it jumps in,mainly because it loves water. I've told her it will get out on its own, but will it. Can anyone recommend a harness for a large dog, preferably with a grab handle to lift it out of the canal

Our border collie is pretty agile but when he's fallen in the cut its very unusual for him to be able to drag himself out. Occasionally its shallow enough for him to spring up off the bottom but thats unusual. I normally grab his collar and fur above his hind quarters and gently lift him out but he's heavy when wet and can be a bit of a struggle.

As a slight aside, he fell into an empty lock last winter when we walked down to fill it ready to descend. I looked up from near the bottom gates and he was sitting on the cill looking up at me ! I did consider filling the lock and pulling him out but decided against that option and instead climbed down the lock gate and lifted him up to my mrs who dragged him out.....

he's been a little more careful around locks since !!!

Dog life jackets usually have a grab handle, on the back.

You can also get dedicated dog harnesses for climbing/ Search & rescue work, but they are expensive. Lifejackets can be warm for a dog and (if you're bothered) can look a bit ott for ditch crawling, though I wouldn't use anything else on a river etc.

A good compromise is the ruffwear harness which has a handle, but is open sided

http://www.climbers-shop.com/3597/products...og_Harness.aspx

(Can't vouch for the shop, but the harness is good)

Dog car harnesses are sturdy, and have a loop on the back to fit onto the car seat belt. As they are made of webbing, any part is easily hooked up with the boat hook. I think they are about a tenner in D at H, but I only have medium sized dogs.

I agree - ours wears one of these - just something simple to grap when she falls in now and then. This one is Pets at Home, £12

V00205_t.jpg

Hi every one. We have just got a large dog & my wife ( and me ) is worried about getting it out of the canal when it jumps in,mainly because it loves water. I've told her it will get out on its own, but will it. Can anyone recommend a harness for a large dog, preferably with a grab handle to lift it out of the canal

Hi firstly welcome to the forum.

We have a small dog who as you can see came supplied with a handle to lift (hook) him out of the water. :lol: I understand bigger versions are available. :lol:

DSC00377.jpg

hi,i fixed a loop on the rear bulkhead,and attach the lead to it,some dogs like just to watch the bankside allday.our lurcher saw a hare in the middle of a field by the oxford canal,dived off(not on lead),chased the hare and returned half hour later.but no jugged game this time.

hi,i fixed a loop on the rear bulkhead,and attach the lead to it,some dogs like just to watch the bankside allday.our lurcher saw a hare in the middle of a field by the oxford canal,dived off(not on lead),chased the hare and returned half hour later.but no jugged game this time.

This is sort of what I usually do - we have a rope tied to the steps which allows them enough of a range to get off for a pee (bankside!!), but not enough to get into trouble. Other harnesses etc when they are on the loose!

I cant imagine many dogs need a life'y so i dont really see the point. Just and sort of dog harness should work.

Out last dog (think greyhound/airedale but fluffier) went in about twice, and both times came out by the coller and rear legs. However if your dog really likes the water this might get tiring so a harness might not be stupid.

Daniel

Don't do what one boater did - pulled over at some convenient moorings, but the dog was obviously bursting for a pee, so both doors of the side hatch were thrown open and the dog was immediately chucked out to relieve itself. You've guessed it - wrong side of the boat!

I got these from a nice guy on ebay, keeps the dog afloat and lifting the dog from the grab handle supports it's whole body, there is a wide strap that goes right under the dog between the front and back legs with velco fastening.

Edited by Dyad

I cant imagine many dogs need a life'y so i dont really see the point. Just and sort of dog harness should work.

Out last dog (think greyhound/airedale but fluffier) went in about twice, and both times came out by the coller and rear legs. However if your dog really likes the water this might get tiring so a harness might not be stupid.

Daniel

Dogs do need life jackets because apart from helping to get them out they keep them afloat and visible giving the owner a chance to get to them. Remember a dog like a human will not last very long in water which is just about freezing, I speak from experience as we live aboard on a river with 4 dogs , Our GSD weighs in at 45kilos and getting him out is like trying to get out a large child, not easy.

Dogs do need life jackets because apart from helping to get them out they keep them afloat and visible giving the owner a chance to get to them. Remember a dog like a human will not last very long in water which is just about freezing, I speak from experience as we live aboard on a river with 4 dogs , Our GSD weighs in at 45kilos and getting him out is like trying to get out a large child, not easy.

Very well put, whatever the breed I agree all that can be done to help would be appreciated

German Shepards are a big heavy dog and if they fall in I'm sure would appreciate any help they can get.

Our crew rescued a drowning Collie on the L&L last month, the owner was something less than appreciative, my youngest daughter wanted to chuck the owner in in exchange,,, :lol:

Edited by MJG

Hi there.

We have two rather large dogs and we just bought normal harnesses with a straight bit at the back of the shoulders, so you could get your hand in. They have fallen in a few times over the past few years. But a few weeks ago,I was on the boat on my own and one of my dogs decided to jump from the bank on to the moving boat. She missed and caught her harness on the T on the back side of the boat. ( don't know the proper name for it). I don't know where I got the strenght from, but I stopped the boat and lifted her with one arm on to the boat. I have never seen a dog fly between the water and the deck so fast. ( She is about 25kg)

If she had not got a harness on and she had been in the water I would never had been able to rescue her. They always have their harnesses on when they are around the canal.

Mrs Panda