BCN Moorings

plainsman

Featured Posts

Surely you then have to walk along a tiny ledge and through a locked gate, not BW key, to get off.

Strangely, if you walk round the back of the derelict warehouse there are number of pontoon moorings stacked up. Perhaps we should watch this space

There's a good landing, but as you say it doesn't connect with the rest of the site. Very quiet and very secure

Richard

And as we were setting off at 6 the following morning we were not out for a night of sin in Digbeth

There was no Tawny Owl at Hatton 3 days ago when we left SG Boats. Camp Hill sanitary station very secure but you will have to moor on the water point, unless you are shorter than 45 foot, as there is a boat permanently moored on the visitor mooring. There is a BW man on site during the day but I don't know what he is supposed to do. Everytime we have moored there he has kept to his room drinking tea. He certtainly doesn't clear the rubbish from the locks or sort out the water levels.

The site is fenced but I haven't been able to find a way out except onto the lockside and down the flight to Bordesley.

We left there this morning to go to Cuckoo and then onto Brownhills via the Manor Arms!

The 'permanently moored' boat has a valid paid for mooring at the camp hill site until the end of march. I suggest that you get your facts right before you post slanderous garbage on a public website. If I have the unfortunate opportunity to meet you again we will discuss this matter in person.

The 'permanently moored' boat has a valid paid for mooring at the camp hill site until the end of march. I suggest that you get your facts right before you post slanderous garbage on a public website. If I have the unfortunate opportunity to meet you again we will discuss this matter in person.

Sorry Keith, I've reread my post and I can't see what is slanderous or garbage. Waterscape list Camp Hill as a 24 hr visitor mooring. I'm quite happy to moor on the waterpoint but there has been a few hirecraft around the past week who might think it is not the right thing to do. I'm happy to know that you have paid BW but should they be renting visitor moorings in places where space is restricted? When I passed Camp Hill in September there were two boats moored there and the same two again in November. I understand that they were still there at Christmas. I know not many boats pass that way at this time of the year but with short days Catherine de Barnes to Camphill is a much as I want to do on one cold wet day, the next sensible mooring being either the City Centre or Cuckoo Wharf.

• 2 years later...

Assuming that Netherton Tunnel is open, you can moor free of charge for up to a week at Hawne basin, its on the Dudley no 2 canal , in total it is about one and a half hours from the main line , they have all facilities , it is completely safe , having gone through Netherton tunnel turn left after about 400yds , ,, you go through Gosty tunnel on the way to Hawne Basin , it is as low in the middle of the tunnel as Harecastle is

Ron Mattinson

If coming from or heading to Fazeley there's also the Star City pontoon near Salford Junction, handy for a range of chain eateries. Didn't stop at Cuckoo Wharf, probably ok but a bit desolate. Aston Science Park - lots of graffiti, never a good sign. In the middle, Gas Street, Cambrian, Oozells, ICC, etc.

Bottom of Smethwick? Probably not, as someone else has suggested try the Engine Arm (friendly residents, 48hr mooring and full service block right at the end of the arm). I seem to recall another pontoon somewhere between Summit Tunnel and Brades on the old main line, can't remember exactly where. Black Country Museum is our usual spot, although that now appears to be 24hrs only.

New Main Line, there were boats moored a bit below Factory Locks by Caggy's Yard, probably ok. Never stopped at the top of Wolverhampton; There is an offside mooring, but it's probably quite noisy and I don't think I'd bother unless desperate.

The leaflet mentions moorings S of Coseley Tunnel, I definitely wouldn't stop there, too many kids about whenever we've passed through there.

If you're going the scenic route, Perry Bar top lock was quiet, as was the pontoon at the entrance to the Walsall Arm (terminal basin recommended by others but too open for our tastes). Ocker Hill Tunnel branch should be ok if you can get in, when we stopped there in the summer it was chock full of dredging plant! Sneyd was quiet, and the secure mooring (singular) at the United Kingdom pub looked ok.

• 2 years later...

That's a touch out of date, several of the moorings are no more and new ones have been added, the phone number for BW was when they were at Ocker Hill approx. 2002.

Well, it would be, since it was posted in 2009. Is the link given by Kendal in the post before yours more up to date?

Well, it would be, since it was posted in 2009. Is the link given by Kendal in the post before yours more up to date?

It should be as it links to the current BCNS website. The latest version of the leaflet can be downloaded from there. Here it is:

BCNS%20Moorings%201_zpshulgy7tm.jpg

BCNS%20Moorings%202_zpsgivx4gwt.png