Licence evasion - here's one that really takes the urine

homer2911

Featured Posts

Not far from Brewood, between bridges 11 and 12 on the Shroppie. Moored on the offside is boat No 72466, displaying a 2005 licence but no mooring permit.

It's been there for years, been reported to BW at least a year ago, so I think there's been enough time to go through any legal process and impound the boat. Why is it still there?

Not far from Brewood, between bridges 11 and 12 on the Shroppie. Moored on the offside is boat No 72466, displaying a 2005 licence but no mooring permit.

It's been there for years, been reported to BW at least a year ago, so I think there's been enough time to go through any legal process and impound the boat. Why is it still there?

According to BW's licence checker the boat has licence.

Well, it ain't displaying anything other than a 2005 licence!

I never displayed a licence.

My tax affair are a private matter between myself and the enforcing authority.

I don't display my income tax returns in the window, either.

In fact, I've heard of several people who display an out of date licence purely to wind BW and other boaters up :lol:
Or, perhaps, purely to exercise their right to privacy.

And it's causing you to loose sleep because?????

Not uncommon by any means for an apparently unlicenced boat to have all it's papers in order so to speak. In fact, I've heard of several people who display an out of date licence purely to wind BW and other boaters up :lol:

Andy

Yes then when the licese fees rise to cover more staff and hours the same people start belly aching,should be made an offence the same as displaying road tax in the car.Seems to be a game to some to waste the time of Bw

Mick

I never displayed a licence.

My tax affair are a private matter between myself and the enforcing authority.

I don't display my income tax returns in the window, either.

Or, perhaps, purely to exercise their right to privacy.

I would have put money on you being the next poster.

Picture this:

A totalitarian regime takes over the UK, and decrees that any boater not displaying a valid licence would immediately be shot. You'd absolutely crap yourself in your haste to get it displayed - what price your right to privacy then?

Edited by homer2911

Not uncommon by any means for an apparently unlicenced boat to have all it's papers in order so to speak. In fact, I've heard of several people who display an out of date licence purely to wind BW and other boaters up :lol:

Andy

Yes then when the licese fees rise to cover more staff and hours the same people start belly aching,should be made an offence the same as displaying road tax in the car.Seems to be a game to some to waste the time of Bw

Mick

Seems to be a game to some to waste the time of Bw

Mick

Rubbish!

BW are well aware of who has and hasn't paid their boat tax.

All that needs to be displayed is the index number of a boat and BW can refer to their database, to confirm its status.

Licence discs (and car tax discs) are a redundant sop to busy bodies who have an unhealthy interest in other people's affairs.

The police and DVLA do not refer to tax discs, they use ANPR to automatically flag up evaders, to those who have the authority to act.

A totalitarian regime takes over the UK, and decrees that any boater not displaying a valid licence would immediately be shot. You'd sh*t yourself in your haste to get it displayed - what price your right to privacy then?

On the contrary, I would join a resistance movement and try to overthrow such a regime.

I will go to prison, rather than carry an id card, should one be introduced.

I have never been afraid of affirmative action and did not sh*t myself when the police were beating us with batons, in 1984.

I would have put money on you being the next poster.

It is something I feel strongly about.

Why shouldn't I post, as soon as I see the thread?

Edited by carlt

Rubbish!

BW are well aware of who has and hasn't paid their boat tax.

All that needs to be displayed is the index number of a boat and BW can refer to their database, to confirm its status.

Licence discs (and car tax discs) are a redundant sop to busy bodies who have an unhealthy interest in other people's affairs.

The police and DVLA do not refer to tax discs, they use APNR to automatically flag up evaders, to those who have the authority to act.

And how do you suppose the police decide which car to do an APNR check on?

Plod: Sarge, I'm going to spend all day checking the details of every car I see on the road.

Sergeant: Idiot, start with the ones that have no current road tax disc

Superintendent: Idiots both of you - don't waste time checking up on juvenile plonkers who delight in winding us up, go and catch some drug dealers

On the contrary, I would join a resistance movement and try to overthrow such a regime.

I will go to prison, rather than carry an id card, should one be introduced.

What part of 'would immediately be shot' did you not understand?

In my scenario, you have no time to run crying to a resistance movement - you're already dead!!

I havent displayed a car tax disc for about 18 months now, my car was broken into and the disc stolen so I thought Id keep it in my wallet instead. I havent been stopped in that time. I once returned to it and found a dvla van checking thngs on his computer, he wasnt at all bothered that there was no disc as he could see it was taxed.

Im told the old bill's techno cars check all the vehicals they pass by scanning number plates and checking dvla databases, and only then flag untaxed cars to the police drivers.

And how do you suppose the police decide which car to do an APNR check on?

They have ANPR scanners that scan every registration plate at garages, lay-bys and motorway bridges.

They've kept up with technology, making the tax disc redundant (which is why we are one of the few countries to persist with it).

What part of 'would immediately be shot' did you not understand?

In my scenario, you have no time to run crying to a resistance movement - you're already dead!!

Then, in your ridiculous scenario, I'd be already dead, before the trousers got stained, what's your point, other than attempting to call me a coward?

I havent displayed a car tax disc for about 18 months now, my car was broken into and the disc stolen so I thought Id keep it in my wallet instead. I havent been stopped in that time.

I, too, keep any relevant documentation in my wallet, in case anyone with the authority to enquire wants to see it.

Havent displayed tax disc on motorcycle's for over 20 years,they get nicked,and never been pulled up for it.BW were late sending licence through so went out without licence in window and wasent alowed through a lock till paperwork was shown. I want an easy life so spend the 1 min a year puting the licence in the window.

They have ANPR scanners that scan every registration plate at garages, lay-bys and motorway bridges.

They've kept up with technology, making the tax disc redundant (which is why we are one of the few countries to persist with it).

Then, in your ridiculous scenario, I'd be already dead, before the trousers got stained, what's your point, other than attempting to call me a coward?

I'm just trying to establish how high the penalty has to be before you fall in with the majority of society

Havent displayed tax disc on motorcycle's for over 20 years,they get nicked,and never been pulled up for it.BW were late sending licence through so went out without licence in window and wasent alowed through a lock till paperwork was shown. I want an easy life so spend the 1 min a year puting the licence in the window.

I too have been stopped at a lock and it took me less than a minute to open my wallet and show the BW employee my disc.

It has happened once in 26 years therefore I've saved myself 25 minutes.

When i went away on my recent cruise some road workers wanted my car moved as they would like a bit more room , as i leave my contact number with several people should an emergency occur they got my number and phoned me to move the car, i told them i would be back asap but as i was in uppermill on a narrowboat i would see them in maybe three or four days.

this upset them so they said we are going to report you for not having car tax ,go right ahead i told them knowing it was paid for but not on show and told them to f off , i imagine the police told them the same because they never issued any ticket ,spot penalty charge ect , unlike the petty minded road workers they knew the score.

I'm just trying to establish how high the penalty has to be before you fall in with the majority of society

No you're not because the higher the penalty gets, the tougher my resistance would become.

I also believe the majority of society have better things to do than check strangers' tax affairs.

I too have been stopped at a lock and it took me less than a minute to open my wallet and show the BW employee my disc.

It has happened once in 26 years therefore I've saved myself 25 minutes.

Where's the lock??

BW have repeatedly failed to send my licence "discs" to me this year. I've given up asking. I'd just love the "give me your name, I'll just nip in and email my complaint while you're waiting" conversation...

We've come through 2 manned locks on our recent cruise and I assume the oppo's noticed our BW mooring permits so correctly presumed our licence has gone awry somewhere in the system. Certainly no-one's mentioned it until I have.