Monthly rental costs?

kiffsmiff

Featured Posts

I'm looking to rent a wide beam with no mooring for about 12 months. Does anyone have any ideas on how much this will cost me per month? The owner hasn't given me a rental price and is asking me to suggest a price. I think all that is included is boat and insurance. Any ideas?

I'm looking to rent a wide beam with no mooring for about 12 months. Does anyone have any ideas on how much this will cost me per month? The owner hasn't given me a rental price and is asking me to suggest a price. I think all that is included is boat and insurance. Any ideas?

There are several questions that come to mind. Where are you going to keep the boat? Have you got a mooring? Is the boat insured for hire? Has it got a Boat safety certificate to hire standards? If it is on BW waters have they got BW permission?

Sue

There are several questions that come to mind. Where are you going to keep the boat? Have you got a mooring? Is the boat insured for hire? Has it got a Boat safety certificate to hire standards? If it is on BW waters have they got BW permission?

Sue

Sue - apart from mooring, yes to all your questions. It was planned to be a weekly / fortnightly hire, but circumstances have changed. There is not a residential mooring - I plan to permanently cruise.

Sue - apart from mooring, yes to all your questions. It was planned to be a weekly / fortnightly hire, but circumstances have changed. There is not a residential mooring - I plan to permanently cruise.

Are the owners friends? If not they are taking a risk as there is nothing to stop you keeping it.

Sue

Are the owners friends? If not they are taking a risk as there is nothing to stop you keeping it.

Sue

Other than the OP can take it further away than would be the case had it been used for weekly or fortnightly hire, why will the owners be at greater risk of the boat not coming back than if they were letting it out to multiple people?

Surely they can put a lot more effort into validating that the OP is a good upright citizen, before handing over the keys, than they possibly could if taking on a new set of hirers every week or two.

I would have thought it was a somewhat safer arrangement to enter into, as long as all the legalities are complied with, and paperwork is in place that covers the rental.

The usual question of "is it insured for hire?" and the comments about "but that makes it a commercial operation" always crop up when this subject is raised.

My mate (he's a solicitor) has just mention that if someone has a boat bought on HP then legally it is owned by the finance company and technically they are hiring it to the "owner" so that should come under the same catch.

So the boat also needs that more stringent safety certificate rather than the normal BSS.

I smell a can of worms.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

If the owner doesn't know what price to charge, I would be VERY doubtful that the legalities have actually been attended to.

Sue

not going to go far in a Wide Beam.

If the owner doesn't know what price to charge, I would be VERY doubtful that the legalities have actually been attended to.

Not sure what legalities you are talking about I was asked if I would be interested in renting my boat out while I was away on holiday for 3 months stating January next year so I did think about it phoned insurance company and was told for the 3 months it would cost an extra £125 and when I called BW about the licence was told as it was a private hire and not a comercial operation that my licence would be fine.

But get your point he does need to ensure he gets written ok from BW to rent his boat out and pay the extra insurance.

Not sure what legalities you are talking about I was asked if I would be interested in renting my boat out while I was away on holiday for 3 months stating January next year so I did think about it phoned insurance company and was told for the 3 months it would cost an extra £125 and when I called BW about the licence was told as it was a private hire and not a comercial operation that my licence would be fine.

Whoever told you that at BW was talking out of the wrong end!

I'm sure Dave is correct.

If money is being taken then it is plainly a commercial arrangement.

I feel sure as a minimum that means.

1) Different license.

2) More stringent BSS.

3) Insurance changes.

I think if anyone at BW is saying otherwise, they are wrong.

It you simply leant it to friends or family, taking no reward, it would be different. Even then you would need to ensure your existing insurance covered it's use in such circumstances.

I agree it seems odd that someone was apparently setting up a boat for regular short term hire, but has no idea what to charge if it is instead leant out long term. It seems hard to believe they would not have acquainted themselves with what income you can get off such a boat before acquiring it.

So, I need to double check with BW that there's the lease / hire of the boat to me would be ok by them. I'll double check on the BSS & insurances, and double check with the owner that it's alright within the HP agreement (if there is one) that it be sub-hired as it were. Thanks for all advice. Hopefully my dream to live on the water will come true, I'll update for info as time goes on.

And Sue, to put your mind at ease, I'm a reliable single female, who has a permanent job in a permanent location. I'm looking to permanent cruise due to lack of moorings, but will need to be within a reasonable distance of my work. You won't see a notice here talking of a stolen wide beam. :lol:

Katie.

I think all the usual tedious technicalities have been dealt with by others, but the hire charge must take account of the period of the hire, this arrangement makes potentially excellent business sense for the hirer and hireree, so long as the price reflects the fact you have no permanant mooring and must comply with cc rules. You mention work commitments and 'bridge hopping' discussions aside, it could get tedious chuffing down the same few miles of cut for the next year... Otherwise sounds like a blast!

So, I need to double check with BW that there's the lease / hire of the boat to me would be ok by them. I'll double check on the BSS & insurances, and double check with the owner that it's alright within the HP agreement (if there is one) that it be sub-hired as it were. Thanks for all advice. Hopefully my dream to live on the water will come true, I'll update for info as time goes on.

And Sue, to put your mind at ease, I'm a reliable single female, who has a permanent job in a permanent location. I'm looking to permanent cruise due to lack of moorings, but will need to be within a reasonable distance of my work. You won't see a notice here talking of a stolen wide beam. :lol:

Katie.

Why do you need a wide beam craft? If there's just one of you it's a real pain moving the boat as you have to open all the gates and it will take you twice as long. You also limit your mooring options as you can't breast up with a narrowboat which at visitor moorings is often the only way to get a space.

Finally, be very careful out there regarding who you hire from. See other older threads on this forum and other places on the internet. Use a reputable company.

D