Which loo

carl1963

Featured Posts

:lol::lol: im fitting a 45 foot narrow beem boat out ive got to the loo witch one pump out or cassete?

Flip a coin.

or look at where your going to moor the boat if not CC, if it's a 20hour trip to a pump out but only a 1 min walk to empty a cassette then your choice should be easy.

In a nut shell, both shouldn't smell in normal use, a cassette will smell when emptying, a pump out doesn't apart from an old whiff. You have to empty the cassette more often and you see the results, but it's free to empty. With a pump out it's alot longer between emptying, but you have to move the boat to do so, and it's usually around £10 to empty.

Choose the right one for you.

Flip a coin.

or look at where your going to moor the boat if not CC, if it's a 20hour trip to a pump out but only a 1 min walk to empty a cassette then your choice should be easy.

In a nut shell, both shouldn't smell in normal use, a cassette will smell when emptying, a pump out doesn't apart from an old whiff. You have to empty the cassette more often and you see the results, but it's free to empty. With a pump out it's alot longer between emptying, but you have to move the boat to do so, and it's usually around £10 to empty.

£10 im getting a bucket

Is the macerator type of toilet for transferring the waste to a remote tank, and if so which are best

A macerator's more stuff to break when untrained guests get careless... Down the bog with your rubber gloves on... yum

If you are living on the boat, a dump through is best. Less to go wrong easier to fix when it does.

You can always get a self pumpout kit, but a bucket is the cheapest option

Sue

Running costs aside which is the more user friendly as its difficult to decide on, and also to get a feel for how it will actually be, emptying a cassette regularly, or is it something to which you become desensitised. Hope that makes sense :lol:

Is the macerator type of toilet for transferring the waste to a remote tank, and if so which are best

I have a Sanimarin. Don't know if they are the best but I have no issues with it. With a macerator type loo don't use expensive cotton loo paper or shove blue down it.

When installing a remote tank make sure the pipes leading to the tank can't have any water left standing in them. A tip that I saw here on CW is too use normal solvent type waste pipe instead of the flexible stuff as the flexible stuff isn't long lasting.

Make sure your tank is well ventilated, pref. with two pipes. A macerator loo uses more water than a dump through so you'll need to take this into consideration as well.

I have a Sanimarin. Don't know if they are the best but I have no issues with it. With a macerator type loo don't use expensive cotton loo paper or shove blue down it.

When installing a remote tank make sure the pipes leading to the tank can't have any water left standing in them. A tip that I saw here on CW is too use normal solvent type waste pipe instead of the flexible stuff as the flexible stuff isn't long lasting.

Make sure your tank is well ventilated, pref. with two pipes. A macerator loo uses more water than a dump through so you'll need to take this into consideration as well.

Hello and thanks for that. Ive checked out the website and they claim water savngs, what are you comparing it with and what do you think they will be comparing it with thanks :lol:

Hello and thanks for that. Ive checked out the website and they claim water savngs, what are you comparing it with and what do you think they will be comparing it with thanks :lol:

I'm comparing it too other type's of boat loo's such as dump through and vacuum although I don't have any figures to hand. I'm guessing they will be comparing against other macerator loo's. For a remote tank take a look also at vacuum loos as well. Although I haven't had experience of these I don't think they are as reliable?

All this stuff about different types of loo is too complicated. I'm going to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat and use that instead

Richard

Advantage would be a bidet as well!

I'm comparing it too other type's of boat loo's such as dump through and vacuum although I don't have any figures to hand. I'm guessing they will be comparing against other macerator loo's. For a remote tank take a look also at vacuum loos as well. Although I haven't had experience of these I don't think they are as reliable?

Advantage would be a bidet as well!

you say your tank is 450gall are you on a narrowboat and where do you have the tank positioned

450ltr?*&?$%

Edited by soldthehouse

Flip a coin.

My first post. Having almost just bought our first boat (awaiting survey), equipped with a portapotti, I'm wondering about alternatives. Has anyone experience of a composting loo?

John