what dog?

mucky

Featured Posts

well i have a new job so have more time and can therefore give a dog the time it needs

so who can lead the way and tell me what breeds are great for boat life, and what characteristics of what breeds are good for living on a boat?

your thoughts appreciated

ta

Springer Spaniel / Black Lab cross.

OR

Jack Russell / Corgi cross.

Both cute, small-ish, well-mannered, but still a bit mental.

Alternatively I think Cocker Spaniels are the right size for a boat and they are very mild-mannered. I've never met a grumpy Cocker Spaniel.

what a good question.

I suppose little nipper dogs are more sutable for boat life, such as the springers and russells of the world.

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrior, hes such a good boy, but hes a heck of a lump to pick up etc.

hes been on the boat once and enjoyed it, but i will be buying him a dog life jacket thats for sure.

good luck finding the right dog

I should have introduced you to our Cocker Spaniel... the most grumpiest, bad tempered dog you'd ever meet!

Really? I find that hard to believe, though maybe I've just been lucky.

I did meet a chap on the Bluebell Railway one day. I was doing a firing turn and on the way back from coupling up I met this bloke and his Cocker Spaniel. "Careful," he said, "he's a bit grouchy". But seeing as the dog was flat out with his feet in the air having his belly rubbed by this stage, it seemed a bit harsh.

Plus you'll be needing a big dog to scare off all the criminals on the managerial team at Poolings Lick. :lol:

cute. i do like the sound of black lab/springer has to be said

Friends of mine have a Springer / Black Lab cross, and he is a wonderful dog. Basically a short wheelbase Labrador with ears which go curly when he's excited. Easy going but intelligent nonetheless.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you'll never wear him out by the end of the day until he's at least 3 years old. They are very sturdy dogs. Ideal for canal life, though.

After past experiences I would never go down the route of getting a Pedigree again.

There are that many cross breeds and mongrels in kennels/dogs homes/animal shelters that need rehoming it would be criminal not to go down that route.

We have said 'never again' after loosing the Cocker Spaniel but we now have Mac, the best dog in the world :lol:

mac.png

After past experiences I would never go down the route of getting a Pedigree again.

There are that many cross breeds and mongrels in kennels/dogs homes/animal shelters that need rehoming it would be criminal not to go down that route.

We have said 'never again' after loosing the Cocker Spaniel but we now have Mac, the best dog in the world :lol:

mac.png

Excellent! Loving Denboy's terrier, too.

you can get woofer life jackets from www.ezydog.com. ive got a coller for lilly from them and its a good well made bit of kit.

the jackets come with a handle to lift the wet dog out. I really don't know how id get her out as she's 46kg but ruffles is only 9kg so he's ok lol

Hollyandothers082.jpg

Holly's first adventure on the boat, she caused quite a stir on the canal. several people said, 'Oh we've heard about the puppy on a boat....

Hollyandothers230.jpg

Hollyandothers085.jpg

Easter2008016-1.jpg

Bit more grown up

S1050056.jpg

And Tazzy the Heinz 57, she loves a swim and we have to stop her jumping in as she would be in t' cut all the time

We have said 'never again' after loosing the Cocker Spaniel but we now have...

Dog owners worldwide have been going through that cycle for years :lol:

We said the same over a year ago - now we have TWO pups :lol:

I had always said that if I got a dog then it would be a "proper dog". However, when my wife said that we were getting a Westie I think you'll all be able to guess how much say I had in the matter!

Now, 6 years on, I think she made absolutely the right decision. He is small, around 8kg, but seems to have the relaxed temperament that you normally find in bigger dogs. However, if you want a dog that you can train to obey you implicitly then do not get a terrier.

I've been married for 10 years and have had the dog 6 years. I still haven't worked out who listens to me the least, the wife or the dog!

Edited: The next post reminded me of another advantage of a Westie. They do not moult. We have friends with a Lab and we always seem to leave their house covered in Pippa's hair. Westies need occasional trimming but do not cast like many other breeds. This also makes them better for those with allergies or asthma.

Edited by Matthew Knowles

We found our dog three years ago now. Some think he is a Jack Russel/Collie cross (how does that work :lol: ), others say they can see Staffordshire Bull in him. Not sure but he is a hairy so and so, and we have to clean up hairs constantly. Wouldn't part with him though, a real soft mutt, and yes he has loved the boat from day one.

dog.jpg

well i have a new job so have more time and can therefore give a dog the time it needs

so who can lead the way and tell me what breeds are great for boat life, and what characteristics of what breeds are good for living on a boat?

ta

We have an Airedale terrier, a bigish dog with very big teeth. He has great personality and strength and my wife likes walking in the woods and alone along the towpath and I dont worry the same as if she had a yappy little critter that could easily be launched into outer space on the end of a toerags foot..............Oh and we have never been broken into.

What about a Beagle? You don't see many around nowadays. And "HOUND!" is such an expressive word :lol:

The other thing is, aren't dogs supposed to look like their owners? In which case it's an Irish Wolfhound for you, me lad. :lol:

Errr what are you implying ????

05042007002.jpg

05112007110.jpg

Get a large dog. You walk into them but don't trip over them. They scare people but are usually fine with other dogs. Large so nothing to prove! Alsations about a year old are a good bet. They have chewed their way out of one home and are ready to train.

I agree about spaniels, nasty dogs.

Sue

ta

Have you thought about an Irish Water Spaniel? LOL