Fixed seating? The measurements...

Featured Posts

I'm having some fixed seats made in my new narrowboat. Bench seat style. What's a good depth and height for the seating along just one side? I was thinking a depth of 80cm... so -10cm for the foam backing, this would make them 70cm deep and a height of 40cm +10cm thick foam. So height would 50cm. Does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance!

thanks for that... not far off then. any idea about depth? all my mates have got free standing furniture otherwise i'd go and measure theirs!

I'd recommend not having the backs of the fixed seating completely vertical. It's a pain sitting on them for any length of time when they are. Not sure what the perfect angle would be but I'm someone would know!

It really depends on available space, in front of the seat.

You shouldn't feel "perched".

70cm sounds fine (though 28" sounds better :lol: ) but, if the backrest is sloping, this will increase the distance the seat sticks out.

many thanks ... anyone fancy measuring their fixed seat so i can compare? :lol:

You mentioned 50 cm high larry. This is too high and will be uncomfortable. It has just cost us a small fortune to lower our fixed seating from 22" to 16" which has made all the difference. I think the depth should be slightly more say about 18" to a slightly sloping back rest.

hi thanks for height measurements, i see exactly whay you mean. however bit confused...

you say slightly more depth to 18".

my current depth is 31" but then you have to minus the backing foam and that's 5". so my depth at the moment is around 26"...? but i've not thought about a sloping back rest.. how does yours compare?

hi... also does the new lower seat of 16" include your foam base, or is that just the seat frame??

hi thanks for height measurements, i see exactly whay you mean. however bit confused...

you say slightly more depth to 18".

my current depth is 31" but then you have to minus the backing foam and that's 5". so my depth at the moment is around 26"...? but i've not thought about a sloping back rest.. how does yours compare?

hi... also does the new lower seat of 16" include your foam base, or is that just the seat frame??

Our new seat height of 16" includes the foam which is quite firm. I would suggest 17" if your foam is soft. The current depth of your seats at 31" seems far too wide. Measure from inside your knees to the back of your backside !! It is far more comfortable to sit with one's feet firmly on the floor than dangling in the air.

Ours is 16" high including 4" of firm foam, (try saying that when pissed) 21.5" deep + foam backrest and 15" high exc foam seat. All this works well for us for dining with a cushion in the small of my back, for lounging a backrest slope woul be advised but this will take it to approx 30" of depth req. for the whole fitup

Ours is 16" high including 4" of firm foam, (try saying that when pissed) 21.5" deep + foam backrest and 15" high exc foam seat. All this works well for us for dining with a cushion in the small of my back, for lounging a backrest slope woul be advised but this will take it to approx 30" of depth req. for the whole fitup

that's great... it's for a lounge area. so i'm about right with my measurements. time to get the tool kit out!!

many thanks!

This is a scan taken from 'Human Dimension and Space' by Zelnek and Panero. This gives the optimum dimensions for banquette type restaurant seating which is the nearest to a boat dinette I can find. The book deals with the ergonomics of fueniture and space design. Whilst it is somewhat dated - and the ergonomic measurements are based on white americans about 25 years ago it is probably still the best on offer. I use it on a regular basis for my work as designer.

banquette.jpg

The important things to note are that the seat should slope backwards by up to 5deg and the angle between seat and back is 105deg. It helps if the front of the seat cushion is rounded, this prevents pressure on the underside of the thighs. On our boat I built a dinette using a 1220 wide sheet of ply cut in two length ways - can't remember the split and I've trashed my drawing. I'll do some check dims when I'm next on board. With two cushions this makes a very confortable double bed. It fits under the gunwhale and the back angle is adjustable. If you have further questions PM me.

Edited by Richard T

This is a scan taken from 'Human Dimension and Space' by Zelnek and Panero. This gives the optimum dimensions for banquette type restaurant seating which is the nearest to a boat dinette I can find. The book deals with the ergonomics of fueniture and space design. Whilst it is somewhat dated - and the ergonomic measurements are based on white americans about 25 years ago it is probably still the best on offer. I use it on a regular basis for my work as designer.

banquette.jpg

The important things to note are that the seat should slope backwards by up to 5deg and the angle between seat and back is 105deg. It helps if the front of the seat cushion is rounded, this prevents pressure on the underside of the thighs. On our boat I built a dinette using a 1220 wide sheet of ply cut in two length ways - can't remember the split and I've trashed my drawing. I'll do some check dims when I'm next on board. With two cushions this makes a very confortable double bed. It fits under the gunwhale and the back angle is adjustable. If you have further questions PM me.

Not forgetting of course that the table needs to be higher and nearer the person in a dinette, ours is 28" high with 3" overhanging the seat, which is spot on for me at 6' tall but a bit high for SHMBO at 5' 6"