Outrageous new mooring fees

stripey

Featured Posts

The first marina on the Huddersfield Narrow (Frenches Wharf at Greenfield) is due to open for moorings any time now, and the owners have quoted an entrance fee of £250 plus £3500 per annum, all payable up front.

A friend of mine has discovered this. It strikes me as a very high price to pay - what do others think? :lol:

The first marina on the Huddersfield Narrow (Frenches Wharf at Greenfield) is due to open for moorings any time now, and the owners have quoted an entrance fee of £250 plus £3500 per annum, all payable up front.

A friend of mine has discovered this. It strikes me as a very high price to pay - what do others think? :lol:

As you say, outrageous.

It's linked to a housing and pub development, so maybe the developer is trying to make up for lost values elsewhere.

Probably they have been shafted by the drop in house prices etc., and as you suggest, trying to claw some dosh back.

Simple business principle:

If the owners have correctly estimated the demand, they'll fill the marina and make a fortune.

If they have estimated it wrongly, they'll have an empty marina and lose everything.

It's estimated that the marina will hold up to 18 boats, so they won't make a fortune. I suspect that building the marina was a condition of the development. It's just a shame that the first ever Marina on the Hud Narrow is priced so prohibitively.

Well, they can always ask. Whether they get it ........

With such a small marina then surely they can't have many facilities for the boat owner. Are there any residential berths?

Stewey

We were paying slightly mor ethan that on a well known marina in Birmingham a couple of years ago and simply couldn't afford it, although evidently people could, especially if they could save up to get the discount if you paid 6 monthly.

On the HCN that seems simply outrageous, it's hardly as if it's easy cruising distance from anywhere!

Hi

£3500 p .an for what lenght? Might be that if there are some new houses round the marina and a condition of the planning consent was to provide a marina, the owners of the site don't actually want boats to use it.

Leo.

Hi

£3500 p .an for what lenght? Might be that if there are some new houses round the marina and a condition of the planning consent was to provide a marina, the owners of the site don't actually want boats to use it.

Leo.

You have hit the nail on the head! Exactly like new freight depots opening in greenbelt land which have a condition of rail access. No freight is sent by rail and after a few years the rail access is quietlysevered.

In the case of the marina, after a few years the developer will apply to fill it in because "there is no demand".

George ex nb Alton retired

Worth every penny IMHO. Should be the quietest moorings on the system.

Hi

Leo.

It wouldnt be the first time that has happened ( Tipton springs to mind) and owners of exspensive new properties will not want their view of the tranquil water spoiled by nasty boats and smoking chimneys.

It wouldnt be the first time that has happened ( Tipton springs to mind) and owners of exspensive new properties will not want their view of the tranquil water spoiled by nasty boats and smoking chimneys.

Quite right; bloody spongers if you ask me :lol:

A friend of mine has discovered this. It strikes me as a very high price to pay - what do others think? :mellow:

It's horrendous - but part of a process to make boating an expensive pastime. BW have, it seems, always wanted everyone off the cut and into marinas - that way they don't have to collect mooring fees and chase contiuous cruisers around. It will be a sad day when they succeed.

• 4 months later...

Goodness me that does seem a lot compared to what we are paying on the top of the South Oxford/GU. I suppose if they are the only Marina they are hoping that people will be prepared to pay as there is no alternative presently.

In the area we are around Napton where several Marinas compete in a fairly small area for business that as a new one has opened or an old one extended the price pressure has been downward and most Marinas here have vacant spaces.

The locals had a lot to say about this marina and more to say about the people who were developing it , remember reading one of the local papers and the objectors to the developers plans it seems have been proved right in the suspicions they had.

Goodness me that does seem a lot compared to what we are paying on the top of the South Oxford/GU. I suppose if they are the only Marina they are hoping that people will be prepared to pay as there is no alternative presently.

In the area we are around Napton where several Marinas compete in a fairly small area for business that as a new one has opened or an old one extended the price pressure has been downward and most Marinas here have vacant spaces.

Missed this when it first came out.

That is a horrible price for a small marina, that seems to have no car parking (the pub car park is cramped and was full to overflowing when we went).

It is also a long, long way off the beaten track, there is nowhere to go without a LOT of locks, and the new marina at Fairfield Junction is opening at the same time with an introductory price of £500 per annum (I think the long term price will be about £2,500) with far superior access to the system, and only a few miles away by road.

I can't see any takers at that price.

I pay less than that for fully serviced, in London. Yes it's alot.

really, where's that, and is it full??!!!!!!!!!!

On the Lee, in Lee Valley Park, in Tottenham. Lee moorings are alot cheaper than other London moorings, perhaps because they are in glamourous places such as Lower Clapton and Ponders End.

It is never, ever, not full. If anyone moves, BW invariably move a boat here from somewhere else, such is the shortage. The moorings never get chance to be put up for auction.