River Ure & Ripon Canal

Axe

Featured Posts

I have heard many comments about taking narrowboats up to Ripon, especially if they are longer than 57 feet in length.

As Axe is 60 foot long and the locks are 57 foot long it is reasonable to assume that she won't go!

Has any one had the experience or know about winding on the upper section of this navigation?

Jim MacDonald took his magnificent old n/b Elizabeth up there last summer. She is 61ft 9in long. Previously he had been all the way, but this time he was defeated by the last lock which BW have rebuilt shorter than it used to be (but I don't know by how much, sorry).

He also had a big battle with BW when they refused to allow him up the Tinsley (Sheffield) flight, saying there is a 60ft limit there. They eventually backed down when he threatened them with legal action for breaking the terms of the 1968 Transport Act.

Hi Axe,

Winding on the upper section will not be a problem. It is mostly wide river until you get to the Ripon canal for the last mile and then you can wind at two or three places as well as the basin at Ripon.

The issue will be the lock length. I am told of other 60ft nbs going through with no problem. They just use the whole width of the lock to lock up at an angle in fit in. I think it would be tight, but certainly possible as we lock up and down with plenty of space with our 55ft.

Hopefully someone who has actually done it with a 60 footer will answer your post.

Derek