Lichen patches on non-slip surfaces

Featured Posts

The non-slip surfaces on my boat have yellow/green lichen patches growing on them. Removing them with vigorous scubbing does work but only so long as I dont want any non-slip left. Can anyone suggest a chemical treatment that might remove them without harming the canal when rain washes it off?

047.jpg

Thanks

Mike H

I've had the same problem, and found Halford's car wash (can't remember the exact name) to be completely effective at destroying lichen; diluted and used as it says in the instructions. It claims to be 100% biodegradable so I'd imagine it would be OK when washed into the canal afterwards.

The non-slip surfaces on my boat have yellow/green lichen patches growing on them. Removing them with vigorous scubbing does work but only so long as I dont want any non-slip left. Can anyone suggest a chemical treatment that might remove them without harming the canal when rain washes it off?

I used a pressure washer for the first time on the boat the other day. I was a bit dubious about it removing all the paint along with the lichen which had built up over the winter, but it worked well. I was even able to clean the white cotton strings which don’t like being scrubbed.

washing up liquid,undiluted,just pour it on and walk away,it worked for me with that green that comes after you've been moored under trees in late summer and autumn.i didnt even bother with the scrubbing.if its rainy re-apply,just the cheap stuff from lidl.

washing up liquid,undiluted,just pour it on and walk away,it worked for me with that green that comes after you've been moored under trees in late summer and autumn.i didnt even bother with the scrubbing.if its rainy re-apply,just the cheap stuff from lidl.