Lidl walkie talkie

Mary 1

Featured Posts

Got mine, only two boxes left in Chard - Somerset, looking forward to using them this weekend, will fully charge at home before I go, tomorrow.

Mary 1

We bought ours last year before our hire trip doing the Four Counties Ring.

We were very impressed with the quality and functionality of the walkie talkie at the price and I hope you are as well! I'm not surprised that they have sold so well.

Stewey

We bought ours last year before our hire trip doing the Four Counties Ring.

We were very impressed with the quality and functionality of the walkie talkie at the price and I hope you are as well! I'm not surprised that they have sold so well.

Stewey

Purchased ours last year and very pleased with them.

Mick

I guess they're not dependent on phone masts being nearby, but are there any other advantages of walkie-talkies over mobile phones? (assuming one has lots of free minutes)

For short point to point communication between, say, two boats in convoy they are ideal.

Is there really any such thing as "free" minutes [??], because you have to pay a monthly etc charge, whereas with a walkie talkie you don't.

Edited by 1066

For short point to point communication between, say, two boats in convoy they are ideal.

Is there really any such thing as "free" minutes [??], because you have to pay a monthly etc charge, whereas with a walkie talkie you don't.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is "instant" communication - press and talk - no finding the number, waiting for the system to dial, waiting for the other person to answer etc - just press and talk - more advantageous when lots of short instructions need to be given / received - i.e. "tea, with one please".... :lol: just hang around your neck and switch on...

Nick

My neighbour bought a pair the other day and came to our boat to show me his purchase. Ialready have a pair and me and my wife use them regularly. one reply to the original question seems to think people using radios look like pillocks, well eveyone is entitled to their opinion, all i can say is that when me and lilian are lock wheelin it is a definate advantage to know whats happening at a lock which is still a quarter mile away. One tip the battery pack on these radios does'nt last verry long so each of you should carry a freshly charged set of three triple A batts, have fun, CHRIS.

Edited by canalchris

You can find radioheads that link these up through the net and via these portals you can talk to people all over the world. Not sure how it works, but I'm sure someone here will or you can goggle it.

Biggles

Whenever I've seen folk using these (at lock flights, for example) they've inevitably looked like right pillocks.

The use of a walkie talkie may not be entirely coincidental.

Actually, I think the use of a walkie-talkie is probably entirely coincidental.

I can confirm we have seen a significant number of people in lock flights over the last few days who look like right pillocks, none of whom were visibly using PMR radios! :lol:

Happy chatting then Mary............we don't feel the need to use them but then I suppose everyone is different. We prefer the lack of technology and it is amazing what you can say by hand signals !!!

Think the comment in earleir post that people who use wt's and pillocks is very coincidental as well.

Happy cruising - Tim

Happy chatting then Mary............we don't feel the need to use them but then I suppose everyone is different. We prefer the lack of technology and it is amazing what you can say by hand signals !!!

Think the comment in earleir post that people who use wt's and pillocks is very coincidental as well.

Happy cruising - Tim

Some say people who wear safety gear are pillocks.... who is the pillock who is harmed more when they didn't wear appropriate attire ? ...

Some say people who wear Hi-Viz clothing are pillocks.... who is the pillock when they are involved in an accident because "SMIDSY" ? ....

so, no doubt, some people who wear safety gear and wear Hi-Viz and use comms are complete pillocks ...

That's proof then - our firemen are pillocks.

I think those people making the sweeping statement from a first impression are the pillocks, making totally inappropriate and factually incorrect comments...

Just my opinion of course.... well maybe a few others as well .....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Hand, arm signals work very well, if you can see the person giving them. :lol:

Edit: sorry forgot to say I am a pillock, used radio communications all my life, since I left school.

Edited by bottle

If you live on your boat and your mobile phone is your only telephone, depending on how you use your mobile it's probably going to end up cheaper to have a contract than pay as you go. Whatever you want to call the minutes within your allowance that are not charged extra for, since you're already paying the monthly charge anyway it's not going to cost you any extra to call another boat assuming your allowance is large enough and you don't exceed it. I think I have 1000 mins for £15/month and I never go over it.

I generally move my boat solo, and have VHF for the tidal Thames, so for me there's no reason to have walkie talkies, but I've got no problem with those who do.

Edited by blackrose

Some say people who wear safety gear are pillocks.... who is the pillock who is harmed more when they didn't wear appropriate attire ? ...

Some say people who wear Hi-Viz clothing are pillocks.... who is the pillock when they are involved in an accident because "SMIDSY" ? ....

so, no doubt, some people who wear safety gear and wear Hi-Viz and use comms are complete pillocks ...

That's proof then - our firemen are pillocks.

I think those people making the sweeping statement from a first impression are the pillocks, making totally inappropriate and factually incorrect comments...

Just my opinion of course.... well maybe a few others as well .....

Nick

I'm afraid I don't understand the logic here. I have no evidence to suggest that the people to whom I was referring were firefighters. I was merely relating my own experiences and stating an opinion.

I just don't see the point of personal communication by radio when canal boating. When I get to the lock I'll go straight in if it's for me, and I'll wait if it's against me. The Memsahib is perfectly capable of judging whether to set it or wait for the boat coming the other way. We're not in a race, and I'm not interested in clocking up milestones.

If anyone wants to broadcast their intentions and have others eavesdropping (we don't get any choice, really) then they run the risk of me thinking them a pillock. It's a (relatively) free country.

If you live on your boat and your mobile phone is your only telephone, depending on how you use your mobile it's probably going to end up cheaper to have a contract than pay as you go. Whatever you want to call the minutes within your allowance that are not charged extra for, since you're already paying the monthly charge anyway it's not going to cost you any extra to call another boat assuming your allowance is large enough and you don't exceed it. I think I have 1000 mins for £15/month and I never go over it.

I generally move my boat solo, and have VHF for the tidal Thames, so for me there's no reason to have walkie talkies, but I've got no problem with those who do.

In a case such as your own, then a contract is certainly the best way to go. The more you can get for your money the better.

I was thinking more in terms of some of the so-called "free offers" that end up costing a small fortune, not necessarily about phones as such. I know that some of the bargains that I've picked up over the years have proven to be anything but! :lol:

I'm afraid I don't understand the logic here. I have no evidence to suggest that the people to whom I was referring were firefighters. I was merely relating my own experiences and stating an opinion.

I just don't see the point of personal communication by radio when canal boating. When I get to the lock I'll go straight in if it's for me, and I'll wait if it's against me. The Memsahib is perfectly capable of judging whether to set it or wait for the boat coming the other way. We're not in a race, and I'm not interested in clocking up milestones.

If anyone wants to broadcast their intentions and have others eavesdropping (we don't get any choice, really) then they run the risk of me thinking them a pillock. It's a (relatively) free country.

YOU are quite in order to state that in your opinion the people you see at locks look like pillocks because the are using two way radios, but it is only your opinion. if some people find it comforting to know that they are being forwarned about the situation at a set of locks ,or the fact that a one way system is in operation because of bw workings or some other unforseen occurence. then can you not at least have the grace to accept that its their decision to do so. without designating them as pillocks. I spent 17 years as a full time firefighter and I know that communications is a priority. YOURS FAITHFULLY .A.PILLOCK

more advantageous when lots of short instructions need to be given / received - i.e. "tea, with one please".... :lol: just hang around your neck and switch on...

Nick

Gin and Tonic - go easy on the Tonic!

Just got the last lidl walkie talkie in Worthing. Thanks or the tip off!

Stickleback

If you are, (for example) working down a flight of double locks, it's quite a nice touch if you leave a lock with zero, one, or two gates open, depending upon what your lock-wheeler has told you about boats coming the other way.

Or indeed to allow you to stop further boat(s) behind you reversing the lock when someone is about to appear coming the other way.

Nobody is forcing people to work in this way, and in fact we only ever get our PMR446 radios out if it gets busy. But there is no doubt if all crews were so equipped, large numbers of boats would slip through the worst congestion points more freely.

But if you like to come around the corner to see the gates just closed, and paddles being drawn against you, then I'm sorry if we have disappointed you by arranging instead a lock you can go straight in to!

There has recently been much discussion on this topic here and here. A most useful suggestion is to adopt channel 8 as the one to monitor for other users. On our last holiday my son droped one of the pair I purchased from Netto reduced from £25 to £15. I have just purchased a pair of Currys equivalent on e-Bay for £7.23 including P&P (I believe the Currys price was £50!!!). These were new in about 2000 I think but they have been very usefull over the years.

There has recently been much discussion on this topic here and here. A most useful suggestion is to adopt channel 8 as the one to monitor for other users. On our last holiday my son droped one of the pair I purchased from Netto reduced from £25 to £15. I have just purchased a pair of Currys equivalent on e-Bay for £7.23 including P&P (I believe the Currys price was £50!!!). These were new in about 2000 I think but they have been very usefull over the years.

Great but do not forget to some you will look a pillock :lol:

We have 2 way radios also, really handy when locks are quite close together but out of eye or ear shot. Once in the lock Lynn will walk ahead to the next lock, by the time I exit the lock, all being well the next lock is ready to cruise into, and all this time in radio contact. She would also tell me if any boat was approaching the lock I was about to exit, so would tell anyone behind me to hang on a couple of minutes as a boat was coming. Quite often saving a lock full of water.

Also when cruising if Lynn's in the cratch, instead of me bellowing out for a cup of tea, just a couple of clicks on the radio and hey presto Tea LOL. Joking aside though, Lynn has occasionally warned me of obstructions she's seen from the cratch that I haven't from the stern

We also cruised with my brother for a 3 week jaunt, had a radio each, again great at locks as we couldn't share, so Bro would go on ahead single through the next lock, then tie up and reopen for us if clear.

Their clearly not a necessity and we don't use them all the time, but they do come in very handy at times. The ones we have float too and would be cheap to replace a single unit unlike the mobile phone suggestion :-)

Great but do not forget to some you will look a pillock

That's more a problem to them rather than to me LOL

Edited by Julynian