Mooring Wardens

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Our local Mooring Warden has been told by BW that they will not be renewing his contract. The dispute has now gone to a Stage 2 Complaints procedure, so I don’t want to go into the details.

Is this an isolated case? Are other wardens feeling the pressure? Are any being moved to less popular sites? At present Mooring Wardens do not pay a mooring fee in return for the work they do for BW.

Does BW, I wonder, want to take back much sought-after moorings which can then but put out to tender and produce a high income for the site?

Our local Mooring Warden has been told by BW that they will not be renewing his contract. The dispute has now gone to a Stage 2 Complaints procedure, so I don’t want to go into the details.

But can you say where you are moored?

KK,

I think at the Cowroast BW linear moorings the Warden is retained on the new scheme whereby they pay up front for the mooring and then BW make an allowance/re-payment for the work they do.

In fact the Warden at Cowroast does a good job but is badly let down by BW who fail to act upon the information the Wardens provide.

Overall I suspect BW have a new policy of dispensing with Mooring Wardens and putting the sites vacated up for auction.

Leo.

Considering the number of people who complain about "overstayers" and people who hog short term moorings perhaps BW has realised how ineffective the system is and is planning a new approach.

I would very much doubt that BW have thought of any 'new approach' to dealing with this situation. What I'll bet they have thought of is how much they might get bid for the newly vacant mooring slots under their mooring scam (sorry, auction) scheme. If you have known BW for as long as some of us have, you would agree, never, never trust BW.

I can see a process evolving whereby license dodgers and those abusing the system have their boats seized immediately, in line with current legislation regarding cars. Or "prop clamps." or welding them to the bank. It's quite hard to prosecute someone who is a paint can away from being someone else.

Considering the number of people who complain about "overstayers" and people who hog short term moorings perhaps BW has realised how ineffective the system is and is planning a new approach.

I for one was a bit peed off that on one of the most popular visitor moorings in London the warden was keeping both their old and their new boat there. It didn't leave much room for visitors!

I also think that BW are leaving no stone unturned in their quest to save money. We saw the results of the closed sanitary station removal of bins etc. at Feildes Weir (on the Lee). The overstayers are still there and rubbish is simply being dumped where the bins used to be.

The nearest boatyard has suddenly started charging for Elsan emptying - I spoke to one of the overstayers and he said the boatyard don't like them going there for water and emptying because they never spend any money there.

It doesn't take Einstein to work out where the portapottis are being emptied instead.

I think it's simply BW (eventually) getting its act together regarding the informal employment of MW's that's gone on for years. The IR doesn't like public bodies giving 'stuff' away.

Been on the cards for years: not pleased it's actually being implemented but not surprised either, the pressure must have got too much :lol:

Happy boating all.

I would very much doubt that BW have thought of any 'new approach' to dealing with this situation. What I'll bet they have thought of is how much they might get bid for the newly vacant mooring slots under their mooring scam (sorry, auction) scheme. If you have known BW for as long as some of us have, you would agree, never, never trust BW.

Well I passed 2/3 mooring wardens boats today and I can't imagine BW trying to auction the spots. The first was on the bend just down from Old Lindslade Manor by bridge 110 on the bit that Nicholson's mark as a wining hole. Two boats moored, one in the spot marked "Warden" the other with "Wardens" sticker in the window. The next one was on the off side just above the Grove pub. I don't think even BW could auction these spots.

Well I passed 2/3 mooring wardens boats today and I can't imagine BW trying to auction the spots. The first was on the bend just down from Old Lindslade Manor by bridge 110 on the bit that Nicholson's mark as a wining hole. Two boats moored, one in the spot marked "Warden" the other with "Wardens" sticker in the window. The next one was on the off side just above the Grove pub. I don't think even BW could auction these spots.

It's not unknown for people just to choose a length of towpath and claim it for themselves; putting up a sign saying "warden" gives the appearance of a fake legitimacy. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case near Bridge 110, but I do notice that BW does not list any BW-managed moorings near there (and the towpath there is of course BW-managed)

It's not unknown for people just to choose a length of towpath and claim it for themselves; putting up a sign saying "warden" gives the appearance of a fake legitimacy.

True, but I can think of several established, long term mooring sites on the Southern GU where BW could easily rake in thousands if they got rid of the mooring warden.

I passed these two 'warden' controlled sites last year. The warden at Grove, before I had even tied up said 'I could only stop one night' and became fairly belligerent. I doubt either are condoned by BW. but have made up some very realistic signs.

Whilst I can see the logic of the 'Benefits in Kind' theory, it is negated if the retained warden pays 'up front' for his mooring and then is paid by results. I think it's BW cutting costs to the minimum and have worked out it's cheaper to employ one 'licence checker' to do the work of a number of wardens and then auction off the vacant sites.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

I think it's simply BW (eventually) getting its act together regarding the informal employment of MW's that's gone on for years. The IR doesn't like public bodies giving 'stuff' away.

They don't seem to mind roping in volunteers to perform routine maintenance tasks, though.