Most beautifull waterway

bastonjock

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

This one is aimed at the well travelled amongst you,what are the prettiest parts of the Waterways system,i can drag my plastic boat anywhere and was thinking about where to go,i have done the Calledonian canal and the crinan,so those two im aware of,but where else is stunning?

Hi Guys

This one is aimed at the well travelled amongst you,what are the prettiest parts of the Waterways system,i can drag my plastic boat anywhere and was thinking about where to go,i have done the Calledonian canal and the crinan,so those two im aware of,but where else is stunning?

My favorite is the Shropshire Union, But no doubt others have a different view.

Hi Guys

Would probably be a dead heat between the Llangollen Canal and the Mon & Brec. Thankfully the latter has now reopened after the lengthy closure.

Mind you, I do agree with Rojo that the Shroppie is also a wonderful canal with its spectacular cuttings and embankments.

Er....... I also do love the Caldon Canal! Oh heck! :lol:

Stewey

Hi Guys

If you can drag your boat anywhere then the Mon & Brec has to be a 5 star candidate. Almost the whole route is halfway up the side of a mountain - fantastic.

The Rochdale for me. It has it all. Fabulous views as you go up and over the Pennines. The urban stretches are interesting, to say the least, but it's not long before you're back in beautiful peaceful countryside once again. Not the easiest of canals, with heavy and difficult locks, but then we like a challenge!

If the Rochdale doesn't tempt you, then how about my local canal, the Leeds and Liverpool? From Barrowford through Gargrave and on to Skipton is just lovely, with several long lock free stretches. The locks tend to come in groups, the best of them being Bingley Five Rise. Well worth a trip!

I used to live on the banks of the Caledonian Canal. I can't wait to get back up there and do the Crinan. I've walked most of it, but it would just be SO good to do it on a boat.

Janet

Hi Guys

You have been there! The Caley.

In England / Wales my favourite is the Rochdale, especially going E-W above Hebden Bridge to Littleboro'

In Ireland my favourite is the Barrow Navigation.

Very subjective, this....you could have a look at the bottom end of the Staffs and Worcs, say from Kinver south, bottom end of the Oxford above Thrupp,I recently boated on the northern end of the T&M and the stretch out of Middlewich above Big Lock was lovely too. Don't forget the Peak Forest around Furness Vale...but there are so manypretty areas on so many waterways...I'm an Avon fan too!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Glad to see the Rochdale getting a couple of nice mentions. I am very lucky, and appreciative, to live in Littleborough and am able to cycle along it to Sowerby Bridge whenever i choose, mind i have to get the train back.

We have holidayed on the Llangolan, done the 4 counties, the Cheshire ring, the Caldon and bits and pieces elsewhere but i have yet to see a stretch as nice as Littleborough to Sowerby Bridge.

Leicester section summit on the Grand Onion for seclusion

I would tend to agree with that. Between Crick and Foxton is a particulary lovely stretch.

Nick

Shroppie, Llangollen & Monty!

I would agree with that too. It will be good when they get the next section of the Monty open.

Nick

Llangollen and Shropie for me.

I would agree with that too. The embankement just below Audlem has stunning views.

Nick

Get up to Scotland The Caledonian Canal esp arround Fort Augustus

Loch Lochy is particularly fine.

Nick

I think that I agree with everyone. It must be because I am such an agreeable person. :lol:

The Monty through Welshpool. It is not connected to the main canal system but there is enough open canal on this section for a two day run in beautiful countryside. And it's all yours - apart from the sunshine boat at one end and a horse drawn hotel boat that keeps the cut deep.

:lol:

Hi Guys

Hi

Much as I love the canals, the Macc & Shropy in particular, I still feel the rivers are the most beautiful.

The Avon & Seven and Thames would be my favourites.

Alex

I think that I agree with everyone.

No you don't :lol:

Hi

Much as I love the canals, the Macc & Shropy in particular, I still feel the rivers are the most beautiful.

The Avon & Seven and Thames would be my favourites.

Alex

If we're talking rivers I have to cast a vote for the River Nene between Wellingborough and Peterborough.