Do you know these Boat Builders?

Bat & Frog

Featured Posts

Lady Muck can I borrow you for a 'photo' shoot so I can show pictures of a fine lady instead of fine boats which I would have thought one would expect from a boatbuilders web-site.

Perhaps they have not built any ! (Sorry !)

It would have been wiser to have done your research before ordering a boat surely?

Edited by bargeeboy

Facts seem to be in short supply on their website. Who have they worked for? Have they actually built any boats? Why just a mobile UK contact number? No reason to suppose they're not okay but I can't see any reason to favour them over the many established firms. If the answer is 'they're cheaper' then I'd be asking 'why?' The gallery picture looks nice, though - I don't know why but I was expecting to see boats there

Facts seem to be in short supply on their website. Who have they worked for? Have they actually built any boats? Why just a mobile UK contact number? No reason to suppose they're not okay but I can't see any reason to favour them over the many established firms. If the answer is 'they're cheaper' then I'd be asking 'why?' The gallery picture looks nice, though - I don't know why but I was expecting to see boats there

No offence intended to the original poster but I often wonder how anyone can spend such a large sum of money without properly researching the product first. I know of someone who bought a brand new boat, having sold their house, and almost as soon as they moved aboard found that it wasn't really what they wanted - he has now moved back to the land and the boat is for sale at less than half what he paid for it.

Because of the very individual way that inland waterway boats are built, it is surely essential for potential buyers to carry out thorough research before committing their hard earned cash on the strength of an advert or brochure.

I'm not quite sure what is implied by "New Patient?" :lol:

That pointy bit at the front was not designed by someone who has travelled through a lock with wooden gates.

Presumably they are trying to make a feature that is recognisably a "Viking Boat", and they thought a dragon prow was a little OTT - perhaps these are long boats, not narrow boats.

Cheers

Cath

Edited by Catrin

Well the picture on the introductory screen of the lady in a boob tube and big hat seems to be posed on some fairly weather-worn boat - certainly not a new build.

There is clearly bending of the handrails - perhaps done when bags of smokeless fuel or that old bike were being hauled on to the roof.

Not that the lady really looks dressed for the live-aboard life of lugging fuel and other items on to the roof. :lol:

Presumably if they had actually built many boats they would picture one of those instead of this, which clearly has nothing to do with what they say they are supplying.

Sorry, but it would worry me. :lol:

We bought our first boat secondhand to see if it was what we wanted. We then built this boat virtually the same, just 10ft longer & with single beds. We made a profit on our first boat so it worked really well.

Sue

Not having a land line telephone as well is a bit unprofessional. I suspect the boats are being built somewhere rurally or even in the open. The web site is quite smart though, but anyone with a bit of comp use can make a decent site.

I suspect they're very new and operating on a shoe string awaiting orders to get the business off the ground. Not necessarily a bad thing as if they intend to have a business that has some longevity, then the first boats they build will be done so to a good standard so to use as examples and adverts in the future.

They do seem to be offering a lot for the money, although I'm not up to date with current prices.

The one thing I would check out is if any of the directors have had any bancruptsy history. They are a LTD company it seems.

Also find out where the build will take place and view the workshops.

As in anything DYOR but especially with regard to building boats.

Hello, as suggested by another member, we are asking if anyone knows about this new company who'll be building our canalboat (60ft x 10ft).

Viking Canal Boats

http://www.vikingcanalboats.com/

PM experiences please

cheers the Frog of Bat&Frog

Not impressed, too sparse on info, only one hull to show off, no customer feedback, even if I could afford one I'd want someone with a bit more experience than they appear to have, also I'd want to be able to visit as and when convenient to keep an eye on the build, Poland on a weekend visit, no thanks.

Edited to add.

Only mobile No:s for contact, could be the large cost of the build :lol:

Edited by johnjo

Well the picture on the introductory screen of the lady in a boob tube and big hat seems to be posed on some fairly weather-worn boat - certainly not a new build.

There is clearly bending of the handrails - perhaps done when bags of smokeless fuel or that old bike were being hauled on to the roof.

Not that the lady really looks dressed for the live-aboard life of lugging fuel and other items on to the roof. :lol:

Alan - I think referring to the lady as "that old bike" is a bit harsh.

The reference to "new patient" on the website implies they have used a website template aimed at doctors and they've forgotten to change the wording. Doesn't say much for their attention to detail!

Paul H

They approached me to offer to build me a 60 x 10ft boat.

As soon as I saw the dodgey bird on the website I knew it was not for me, but the othe half said if she came with the boat then go with that.

I have now 'narrowed' down my search to Amber or JD Narrowboats, decision to be made soon after a long search.

All the best to you.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the comments, some were very useful. We had done a fair bit of reseach before we started, but got some butterflys. Prior to ordering we spoke with a marine surveyor, one Barrie Morse who seemed to know what he was talking about and gave us the confidence to go with this new company.

Our boat has now been delivered, after a few sweaty weeks delay (but I understand only five weeks late is quite good for boats) and part of this was due to our choice of windows. We visited the factory during the build to inspect and I was quite happy with what I saw there. Four boats in production, 1 narrowboat, 2x10' widebeams and a 12' (i think) widebeam.

The main concern I have had with the build was the boat being late, with the factory being so far away its not easy to pop round and check on progress, always nice when you're making staged payments. With it being late there was that fear it had gone tits up, but then again does the distance matter as most builders won't tell you until its all over and the gates are locked !

As it was delivered to Bristol floating harbour, Bristol marina lifted it in and there seemed to be a general concensus that it was a well made boat built to a good standard. Also some disbelief at the price, although I didn't welcome such comments as I was trying to haggle the cost of some extras due to the delay and this hasn't helped my fight !

Would I do it again. for the price yes. In the present economy no builder is a guaranteed sure thing, at least being a new company there was a fair chance we were not shoring up their overdraft.

Ps I told them about the comments regarding the boob tube so hopefully this will be removed. Having built a number of boats now, they should have a selection.

• 4 weeks later...

Good! And yes, Barrie Morse sure does know his stuff as, before he was a surveyor, he was a boatbuilder - he was the last one to be based at Tooley's in Banbury. He surveyed our first 2nd hand boat eleven years ago, it's nice to know that he's still involved in the waterways.

I think you have posted pictures of your boat but they don't come out on my screen - all I get is little rectangles with crosses in. Is anyone else having a similar problem.

I don't get pictures either.

As it happens I was in Bristol yesterday (sucked into the metropolis while w**king) and passed over a bridge just as a couple of narrowboats were going under (No idea where I was, I was blindly following satnav and hoping for the best). The sun was shining, and I was very jealous!!

Glad you're please with your boat and congratulations. May you have many happy years cruising in her.

Edited by Amduck

Hello, as suggested by another member, we are asking if anyone knows about this new company who'll be building our canalboat (60ft x 10ft).

Viking Canal Boats

http://www.vikingcanalboats.com/

PM experiences please

cheers the Frog of Bat&Frog

Like this one

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=119098