sailaway questions

Featured Posts

i have a few fit out questions,my diesel tank currently has 10 litres of fuel in it as i leave it in a rural location and have no locking cap,but judging by the ammout of water from condensation in the water tank i must presume,i have some in the diesel there is a seperator on the engine but how much can this remove and do i have to drain it?

Also where in birmingham can i get quality faced ply

i have a few fit out questions,my diesel tank currently has 10 litres of fuel in it as i leave it in a rural location and have no locking cap,but judging by the ammout of water from condensation in the water tank i must presume,i have some in the diesel there is a seperator on the engine but how much can this remove and do i have to drain it?

I would say a lot!

When you have a large area open to atmosphere and sat in cold water in damp conditions, you could collect more water than diesel in the tank? By filling it up (or keeping it as full as possible) the amount of condensation is minimised.

If fuel is flowing, water separators can separate out quite a lot (not 100%), if not water will remain in the tank!

Yes, on water separating filters there should be a drain at the bottom, good idea to check these regularly (monthly/weekly).

Doing this will also give you a good idea of how much water you are getting!

With red diesel this should be easy, use a jam jar or something similar, as you drain the water off it will go pink when you get to the fuel!

After some recent bad experiences, (not in Birmingham though), my impression is that getting quality faced ply is get harder with each passing year.

I could only get it at all, (oak faced in Hertfordshire), by ordering it in, and whilst the veneer was fine, it was far from flat, and some of the ply behind contained an awful lot of filler.

All suppliers said that everybody goes for faced MDF now, and that's what they carry in stock. I suspect in a few years time the ply will be very hard to buy.

(I didn't fancy using MDF, particularly as everything else is in ply).

Alan

Isn't in Birmingham, but Harvey's Boat Builders in Tamworth supplied and delivered mine. 12mm faced ply, but the 18mm is blockboard (Still better than MDF, though, IMO). They also offered to machine hardwood trim to my specification, too.

Arnold Laver's timberworld, aka Birmingham Boards in Oldbury do 6 & 8mm faced ply, anything thicker and it's MDF.

I tried tracking down some 12mm last year and there's a place in Tyseley that'll make it to order that I could look for at an ask, however they were asking about 110 quid a sheet for 12mm maple face so I stuck to MDF.