Dog Poo Bags

Featured Posts

There is one thing that really riles me, and that is the sight of dog poo bags tossed into the hedgerows by their inconsiderate owners!

We moored up at Stoke Breune fr the week-end and I was working the locks. At this time of year, the hedges are bare of any foliage and I couldn't help but notice the large amount of dog poo bags tossed away, hanging from the hedgerows and bushes, where the shit literally festers and ferments!

Is it not more environmentally friendly to remove the offending smelly "barkers eggs" with the aid of a small shovel or spade from the verge of pathways and nonchalantly toss it aside, safely out of shoes way into the undergrowth, where the offending mess can biodegrade and return to nature, rather than literally be in your face for a number of years?

Grrrr!

Rob

There is one thing that really riles me, and that is the sight of dog poo bags tossed into the hedgerows by their inconsiderate owners!

We moored up at Stoke Breune fr the week-end and I was working the locks. At this time of year, the hedges are bare of any foliage and I couldn't help but notice the large amount of dog poo bags tossed away, hanging from the hedgerows and bushes, where the shit literally festers and ferments!

Is it not more environmentally friendly to remove the offending smelly "barkers eggs" with the aid of a small shovel or spade from the verge of pathways and nonchalantly toss it aside, safely out of shoes way into the undergrowth, where the offending mess can biodegrade and return to nature, rather than literally be in your face for a number of years?

Grrrr!

Rob

hi , yes its the same all over we see a lot up this end . ban the dog i say .shit machines . rant over till next time .Bob .

Grrrr!

Rob

I agree entirely. I walk my dog along the canal three times a day minmum, and get thoroughly p****d off by the inconsiderate idiots who do the plastic bag slinging thing. I can't for the life of me understand why they bother to bag it then just sling it in the hedge/tree/whatever. Why not just leave it to rot if they are not going to bin the bag? To bag it then leave it behind is the worst of both worlds.

To qoute Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”

Grrrr!

Rob

Some people might think we are a bit sad but we have always trained our dogs to "go" on command, really easy if you start when they are pups. We just get them to perform at home before going walkies. The command is "be quick and come straight back" very useful when it's pouring and you just need to let them out in the garden!

hi , yes its the same all over we see a lot up this end . ban the dog i say .shit machines . rant over till next time .Bob .

It isn't the dog's fault mate, it is the dickhead owners.

Some people might think we are a bit sad but we have always trained our dogs to "go" on command, really easy if you start when they are pups. We just get them to perform at home before going walkies. The command is "be quick and come straight back" very useful when it's pouring and you just need to let them out in the garden!

A good idea, but a word of warning: I think it was a forum member who had a dog that used the garden in such a fashion. Some neighbours shopped them to the environmental people, who made them spend a small fortune on digging out the "contaminated" soil and replacing the top soil. The person swore that he alwyas bagged the dog excrement up regularly from his garden and disposed of it properly. I am not making a case for letting our dogs use the canal bank/street/local park whatever as a toilet, but I feel that the experience of this person is worth keeping in mind.

As a dog owner, the poo bags in the hedgerows annoy the daylights out of me. We have bought bio-degradable poop bags, we scoop and take the poo home to biodegrade. The bags rot down in a matter of days (about 20 I think). Seeing the 'poo trees' is a bloody disgrace. Its not all of us dog owners, just a few thoughtless ones.

If they are going to chuck it in the hedge, why don't they just have a bag with a little trowel in and just chuck the poop in, as said earlier in this thread.

Seeing the bags floating in the cut gets me really angry too.

As a dog owner, the poo bags in the hedgerows annoy the daylights out of me. We have bought bio-degradable poop bags, we scoop and take the poo home to biodegrade. The bags rot down in a matter of days (about 20 I think). Seeing the 'poo trees' is a bloody disgrace. Its not all of us dog owners, just a few thoughtless ones.

If they are going to chuck it in the hedge, why don't they just have a bag with a little trowel in and just chuck the poop in, as said earlier in this thread.

Good point, I meant to say the same. I know loads of dog owners who are very responsible about cleaning up after their dogs.

these few irresponsable dog owners must have a hell of a lot of dogs each because the crap is everywhere , it is not a few owners that dont clean up it is a lot , if no one is there to see the dog doing the deed then to clean up there is no need.

There are a couple of reasons for bags festooning the path sides - the usual one is that with increased enforcement, people are careful to clean up if there is a possibility of witnesses. They can then dispose of the bag as soon as possible once the coast is clear, so to speak. It is usually a relatively small number of individuals doing this, but bags are obvious and do not degrade, therefore the numbers add up very quickly if the same bod walks their dog in the same place a couple of times a day.

The other is more esoteric - certain reprobates have taken to hiding their stash in dog bins - in fairness, coppers aren't going to routinely check the bins full of dog eggs. When they return they throw the real bags out to get at their stuff. Apparently it also puts the search dogs off.

Trivia - the Toad in the Hole once shared an office with someone who disected dog eggs to count worm cysts for their masters thesis. They had a certain....miasma, that tended to follow them around.

Definitely a case of unforeseen circumstances. The do gooders who decided that dog poo should be placed in bags didn't realise that they were creating another problem. Just like the anti smoking brigade who have created the problem of groups of smokers standing outside pubs, which I find quite threatening.

Sue

Maybe complaining to the relevant people as it being a health hazard especially if its near a permanent mooring and keep on doing it every week until something is done or even doing the environmental people bit may get something done.

The banning of dogs?

Sue

A good idea, but a word of warning: I think it was a forum member who had a dog that used the garden in such a fashion. Some neighbours shopped them to the environmental people, who made them spend a small fortune on digging out the "contaminated" soil and replacing the top soil. The person swore that he alwyas bagged the dog excrement up regularly from his garden and disposed of it properly. I am not making a case for letting our dogs use the canal bank/street/local park whatever as a toilet, but I feel that the experience of this person is worth keeping in mind.

I think that could be possibly be a wind up.

Yeah we use the biodegradeable poo bags as well, it's insane that they sell bags that don't degrade, just bonkers. it only takes one lazy dog owner to create a load of poo trees - one bag a day= 365 bags in a year.

Reminds me of some litter near our mooring, the same person (who probably works on the industrial estate) goes to the sandwich shop every day and on the way back they throw the hand written receipt down - there are dozens of these receipts littering the grass verge.

There isn't so much dog sh*t in London, people do tend to be a bit more responsible and some places that are more posh that you can visit (such as Highgate Woods) you never see any dog poo or bags lying around. We have poo bins here in the 'Nam (Tottenham) and they do get used, much of the time, probably half the dog owners pick up (wish it was more). But when I go up to my mothers (on the Aire and Calder in Knottingley) , it's a disgrace, no bins and barely anyone picks up and if they do, they create poo trees. Horrid.

why cant someone goto council and offer too be a voluntry or paid dog warden for the local canals and rivers and issue tickets too offenders that dont clean up . i like others get fed up with treading in it ,cant even take my toddlers out for a walk with out being on constant guard for the mine field of dogs mess .boaters moan about fishermen and canoes but dog walkers got too be the biggest health issue on the canal .on a lighter note could have voulnteer police boats as well for speeders in their barges

Definitely a case of unforeseen circumstances. The do gooders who decided that dog poo should be placed in bags didn't realise that they were creating another problem. Just like the anti smoking brigade who have created the problem of groups of smokers standing outside pubs, which I find quite threatening.

Sue

Sue,

I cannot understand why you feel threatened by gaggles of men, gathered round pub doors, leering, letching and making comments about you. ;o)

Rob

The other is more esoteric - certain reprobates have taken to hiding their stash in dog bins - in fairness, coppers aren't going to routinely check the bins full of dog eggs. When they return they throw the real bags out to get at their stuff. Apparently it also puts the search dogs off.

never read about any stashes been found in dog shit bins , when they go back for the stash do they carry the dog bags along the towpath and spread them out , the bags are not thrown around the bins they are dumped wherever is handy for the dog owners.

Sue,

I cannot understand why you feel threatened by gaggles of men, gathered round pub doors, leering, letching and making comments about you. ;o)

Rob

I think I notice them more than they notice me :lol:

Sue