Injectors

Featured Posts

My sea boating friends all seem to take out their diesel injectors and have them serviced on a yearly basis. I don't know of any real boater (ie narrow boat owner) who does this ever, let alone every year! Is this our sea going friends taking extra care since an engine breakdown for them might well be life-or-death, a waste of money, or is it something worth doing? How what is involved in servicing an injector - doesn't seem a lot one could do to them.

I don't know of any fairly recent diesel that needs the injectors servicing on an annual basis. The service manual for my Lister Petter Alpha (an 18 yr old design) suggests that the injectors should be tested at 2000 hours, which is certainly not annual unless you run 6 hours a day 365 days a year. I would do it by hours.

At testing they can show to be worn (poor spray pattern I believe) and then you can get them re-furbished at yor local diesel injector workshop. For me by the time I had taken them out and travelled to a Lucas outlet to get them tested I just got them refurbjished anyway.

I have an Isuzu and the recommendation is to check the injectors every 1000 hours but when we were at Crick this year I asked the Isuzu man and he said that as long as there was no problems such as misfires or undue smoke, they should be o.k.

When testing, the break pressure is observed as well as the spray pattern but unfortunately, I don't have a connector for between a test pump and an Isuzu injector. (That is my project next time I'm on my ship because we do our own injectors).

Colin

I had my injectors refurbed and it has made a world of difference. They tend to build up carbon deposits and this causes dribbling, which in turn causes smoke and poor starting. In order for your engine to start and run as well as it should I would reccommend you have them done from time to time, especially if you have an older engine, or have not had them done in a few years.

Whilst doing that job a tip is to clean out the heater plug holes with a drill bit.

Your engine will start first turn! At least mine now does :lol:

I have an Isuzu and the recommendation is to check the injectors every 1000 hours but when we were at Crick this year I asked the Isuzu man and he said that as long as there was no problems such as misfires or undue smoke, they should be o.k.

When testing, the break pressure is observed as well as the spray pattern but unfortunately, I don't have a connector for between a test pump and an Isuzu injector. (That is my project next time I'm on my ship because we do our own injectors).

Colin

25575[/snapback]

Hi most tractor engines have the injectors serviced every 1000hrs normally only need decarboning and setting up may be a low reving boat engine may need it sooner than 1000hrs

The act of taking your injectors out and putting them back in again carries a far greater risk than any possibility of failure or improvements that might be made. If your engine starts OK and does not smoke excessively it is far better to leave them alone.

My sea boating friends all seem to take out their diesel injectors and have them serviced on a yearly basis. I don't know of any real boater (ie narrow boat owner) who does this ever, let alone every year! Is this our sea going friends taking extra care since an engine breakdown for them might well be life-or-death, a waste of money, or is it something worth doing? How what is involved in servicing an injector - doesn't seem a lot one could do to them.

25569[/snapback]

I have done some time with salty boat engines and as you say, injectors seem to be recalibrated or renewed quite regularly, so when I bought my first Diesel vehicle back in 2000, a used Astra van, I asked at the local Vauxhall dealers what was the life of the injectors. The guy in the parts dept. didn’t know but told me he hadn’t supplied one in the 12 years he had been there. Good enough fer me. Haven't touched anything since, cept the blasted spill-back tubes.

There must be an additive that is alleged to clean the injectors.

25622[/snapback]

Just bought a bottle of "WYNNS INJECTOR CLEANER FOR DIESEL ENGINES" today. Price £4.99 (325 ml)

Claims to :-

1 Clean injectors and restore spray patttern

2 Clean & protect entire fuel system

3 Lubricate pumps and injectors and compensate for the reduced lubrication of low sulphur diesel

4 Improve combustion

5 Reduce soot particulates

6 Prevent fouling of the fuel filter

7 Reduce diesel knock

Shouldn't think item 3 applies to us though, as I've just read that "red-diesel" has a limit of 2,000 mg of Sulphur per kg., compared to road diesels's 50 !

(Waterways World July 2005 Page 42)

Brian (La Peniche 11)