Water hammer

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm trying to get to the bottom of water hammer and splash on my cold water taps and shower. Strangely, when my hot water is hot, I do not get hammer or splash from the hot tap. (the boat is 45 feet long)

I have a 3 year old 12 volt Johnson Aquajet pump WPS 3.4 with a cut in pressure of 25 psi and a cut out pressure of 41 psi and a 1 litre surflow accumulator, which I have pressured to 25psi. I can increase the pressure on my accumulator, but this does not alter the hammer / splash. If I entirely de pressure it, the hammer / splash improves, but is still there.

Someone suggested that it could be a problem with the pump diaphram. So I took the pump to pieces and all seems well. (apart from the fact that I cannot get a servicing kit for my pump, as Johnson do not seem to do them anymore).

Any advise would be gratefully received

Thanks

Mark M.

Mark,

I assume that your hot water is supplied from a calorifier. If so have you checked to see if the relief valve on the calorifier is lifting? The 'water hammer' you describe could be the relief valve reseating once the water pump has cut out.

A feathering relief valve could also cause the splashing you describe.

Terry