Ice

Smelly

Featured Posts

City Centre Birmingham and the ice is so thick I'd have serious concerns about sinking the Nod cruiser opposite us if we head out for water; if we can make it that far which is questionable. It's not the first time I've been stuck in the ice but the last time at least it was in the cundryside where you'd expect it to get cold enough (and boy was it cold, minus 14 that year...)

I'm not sure whether to curse or celebrate the fact that we're actually having some proper winter for the first time in ages.

Anyways, to the substantive point, we're moored at 90 degrees to the cut, so just in case we do move, has anyone any good icebreaking suggestions?

City Centre Birmingham and the ice is so thick I'd have serious concerns about sinking the Nod cruiser opposite us if we head out for water; if we can make it that far which is questionable. It's not the first time I've been stuck in the ice but the last time at least it was in the cundryside where you'd expect it to get cold enough (and boy was it cold, minus 14 that year...)

I'm not sure whether to curse or celebrate the fact that we're actually having some proper winter for the first time in ages.

Anyways, to the substantive point, we're moored at 90 degrees to the cut, so just in case we do move, has anyone any good icebreaking suggestions?

And it looks as though the rest of the week is set to remain frozen - minus 5 degrees tonight in the Midlands is forecast. If you really have to move the biggest difficulty is getting the boat to go round a corner. If you have a bowthruster don't use it as there is chance you will smash the blades with the ice. What I have done in the past, if I had to move, was to go through the laborious process of smashing the ice around the boat with a pole.

Anyone out there with a nearly full pump out loo?

Its been frozen over every night for about 5 days now, someone always comes ice breaking though. Today it was at 08.10, as usuual the noise was out of this world, could hear them coming from around half a mile away. Your head while lying in bed is perfectly lined up with the ice :lol:

The noise does make me wonder what damage.if any, those people ice breaking are doing to mi hull while I'm sensibly moored up ??? :lol:

Does look gorgeous today though with its sprinkling of snow across the top :lol:

And it looks as though the rest of the week is set to remain frozen - minus 5 degrees tonight in the Midlands is forecast. If you really have to move the biggest difficulty is getting the boat to go round a corner. If you have a bowthruster don't use it as there is chance you will smash the blades with the ice. What I have done in the past, if I had to move, was to go through the laborious process of smashing the ice around the boat with a pole.

And I'll raise you a nearly empty water tank!

The noise does make me wonder what damage.if any, those people ice breaking are doing to mi hull while I'm sensibly moored up ??? :lol:

It will be knocking some of your blacking off probably. To avoid that hang planks down the side at waterline level. Or sadly accept that a visit to the dry dock come warmer weather may be necessary.

I hope that's the fresh water tank, not the pump out one. :lol:

Purleeeeeze Alan. I'm about to have lunch.

In these temperatures, wouldn't that be a shovel-out?

Well, if you insist on getting bogged down with detail.

Yours truely had to move his boat a short distance in the ice yesterday.

Being on my own, I stuck her in gear at tickover then headed to the bow with my "fending off" pole.

By tactically smashing the ice in the direction I wanted to go, I found that some sort of rather slow but controled movement could be managed, but its hard on the arms.

Coal boat came past yesterday out on the main cut (I was in a boatyard basin, and in the way to boot, hence the movement), he seemed to be doing fine on a open her up well, and smash your way through aproach. I don't know how many sunken GRP boats he left behind him mind you...

I managed to do mine on Sat'. The rinse hose was a tad rigid, but the suction still worked. The lumpy bits went :lol:

It was noted last night the the 'Milly M' had taken on a marked list (I had to hold the wine glass to stop it sliding). One sided pumpout tanks are a distinct diss-advantage :lol:

I managed to do mine on Sat'. The rinse hose was a tad rigid, but the suction still worked. The lumpy bits went :lol:

It was noted last night the the 'Milly M' had taken on a marked list (I had to hold the wine glass to stop it sliding). One sided pumpout tanks are a distinct diss-advantage :lol:

It's a good indicator of problems to come. :lol:

Sue

It will be knocking some of your blacking off probably. To avoid that hang planks down the side at waterline level. Or sadly accept that a visit to the dry dock come warmer weather may be necessary.

You may not need to do that. Back in the 1960s we only ever bothered to black the Wind/waterline, on our ex-working boat. To do that we shifted all the ballast and contents of the boat onto the non-towpath side of the boat, which brought the towpath side wind/water line several inches above the water line. That was then cleaned off with a scrubbing brush and given a couple of coats of blacking. The boat was then turned round and the other side was given the same treatment.

Given that it is only the wind/waterline that will be seriously affected by the scraping action of the ice, just blacking the line may well be sufficient until your next scheduled docking. If my boat wasn't due for docking this summer, that is what I would have been doing.

Before you move it may be worth checking your water tap is not frozen up - its a right pain if you have made all the effort and then still cant fill up .

We have an empty water tank and although the mains tap has defrosted it seems the pipe is frozen underground so its lots of trips to an indoor tap some way away with containers . :lol:

We have an empty water tank and although the mains tap has defrosted it seems the pipe is frozen underground so its lots of trips to an indoor tap some way away with containers . :lol:

I am desperate to do my washing but I daren't deplete my water tank- the pipes on the marina are frozen solid. :lol:

I am desperate to do my washing but I daren't deplete my water tank- the pipes on the marina are frozen solid. :lol:

Thats been my problem to. Hopefully its been a little warmer today might be able to get something out of them when I get home.

Tried to empty the portapotti early sunday. The marina emptying point was all frozen up as was the tap at the other local point. Luckly the flush was working so I managed to at least get rid of the waste.

We've been having lots of fun smashing ice even out in my pajamas doing it the other night. Someone walked up our pontoon and scared the life out of me at 8 on sunday morning though. The ice does make one heck of a noise, even just from people walking above it!

I'm loving it! :lol::lol:

Pump out machine has died at meadow farm...broken fitting and frozen up ....

Good time to test out my new toy....a jabsco 12v macerator pump that screw into the gunnel fitting.

Ended up with a battery on the roof, jump leads to connect it, and decanting into a plastic container with a lid via half inch pipe...

Worked a treat! Four trips to the elsan disposal later and the tank is virtually empty and I still have the 12 quid in my pocket the pump out would have cost!

Few more 'self' pump outs and the £68 the pump cost me will be recouped....

Most importantly SWMBO can relax in the comfort of our own facilities rather than a frosty totter up the hill to the toilet block!

These pumps are about £150 in your local 'swindlery'...mine came from a dealer in the states via ebay, brand new and boxed with no extra customs duty.

Glad I took a 'leap of faith' and ordered it back in the summer.

Mid loo pump out required since last wednesday, rear loo filling nicely!

All places we've passed last few days have frozen water supplies & can pump out but not flush through :lol:

Managed to fill water tank at Hillmorton after defrosting supply.

We've just had a thought....its been warmer in bed last few nights, is it due to the poo tank warming us (situated below the bed) :lol:

We allways wait for at least two boats to break the ice before we set off each morning :lol:

Coal boat came past yesterday out on the main cut (I was in a boatyard basin, and in the way to boot, hence the movement), he seemed to be doing fine on a open her up well, and smash your way through aproach. I don't know how many sunken GRP boats he left behind him mind you...

Somewhere in the byelaws there is (I believe) a requirement that any boat on the canal should be 'fit for the purpose' or words to that effect.

Logically that would mean that any boat kept on the line of a canal over winter should be able to withstand ice being pushed against it, as that is a predictable hazard. Other boats (grp or wooden cruisers) should be hauled out for the winter or kept offline.

BW have certainly supported that view in the past.

Tim

Another thought. Is it normal to get ice on the inside of the windows at the moment?

Got the fire going as well as we can do but when I woke the other morning the window by my head was frozen on the inside. :lol:

If you have ice on the inside, then the glass surface is at freezing point because of the amount of heat you are losing through it to the outside air temperature.

Have a look at this thread for some ideas Cheap double glazing

Roger

Somewhere in the byelaws there is (I believe) a requirement that any boat on the canal should be 'fit for the purpose' or words to that effect.

Logically that would mean that any boat kept on the line of a canal over winter should be able to withstand ice being pushed against it, as that is a predictable hazard. Other boats (grp or wooden cruisers) should be hauled out for the winter or kept offline.

BW have certainly supported that view in the past.

Tim

I agree!

It is the responsibility of the owner of a fragile boat to ensure it is protected from ice-breaking activities. I dropped ice planks, every year (usually just after being woken by the first boat, on thre first icy morning) and, when it was especially thick, broke a channel, past my mooring, before anyone else was up, for the boats to follow.