Chertsey

AMModels

Featured Posts

Hi,

The Big Woolwich motor Chertsey is the one photographed at Valencia Wharf, Oldbury. She has been moored there for 20+ years now, fitted with a twin cylinder Lister.

Barnham currently moors at Delph Marine, Stourbridge and as far as I am aware is currently up for sale.

Kind Regards

Matt

I believe it was Chertsey and Meteor who were camping up north until resonably recently??

Regards

Original pairing on this camping work 'up North' was Chiswick and Meteor, later Banstead and Meteor. I understand Chiswick was hired in as a stop gap when restoration work on Banstead ran over. The operator was forum member HughC.

Thanks everyone, Paul I dont know anything more, I received an email asking about her whereabouts and what her name was these days but it was from someone who thought she was a small woolwich so I dont think its someone with a long term attachment to her. As and when I get any more information I will share it here again.

I believe the Chertsey is currently in Aylesbury basin (along with Cambourne and Exe) and it's the Barnham at Allen's.

Regards

David

I believe it was Chertsey and Meteor who were camping up north until resonably recently??

Regards

Last time we were in Aylesbury, Chiswick was amongst those present - I don't think I've ever seen Chertsey.

It is Chertsey at Valencia Wharf and Richard has recently died. Pretty certain that the engine is a Petter though. It was the big northwich moored there that had the Lister engine

Sorry to hear of Richard's death. I knew him when I was living on Pluto at Burscough in the mid 1970s, and Richard I think was involved with Nidd or one of the long ex Ainscough boats. He was living part time on Chertsey at Burscough, and we got permission from the local section inspector to dispose of a canalside pile of lock gates, about eight or ten high. After removing the odd bit of useful wood, we had a fantastic bonfire and then removed the remaining ironwork for scrap using Chertsey. I don't think you'd get away with it today!

Ditto very sorry to hear of Richards death. I hadn't seen him for a couple of years, but living at the top of the Thirteen I used to see him regularly when I worked beside the locks. Chertsey used to moor beside the narrows by Tindal Bridge in the later 70s, occasionally venturing into Gas Street.

Richard also owned quite a fleet of other boats, including a large Tug which he took to Ellesmere Port one Easter. I took him back to Weston Marsh in the car on that occasion to cllect some gear and had a tour of the tug during the weekend. Can't remember now if it was the 6 or 8 cyclinder Gardner, but it dwarfed the 2 cylinder ones in several of the narrow boats around at the time.

Regards to Madcat and Pluto for the Season.

• 1 month later...

In 1964 we attended the National Rally at Stratford upon Avon in Vesta and moored up opposite the theatre with Spitfire. Late in the evening Chertsey arrived and asked to moor up outside us. Early next morning enormous vibrations shook us awake. Chertsey had an organ on board, it must have loosened the caulking.

• 6 months later...

Well, where do I start.... Just heard this morning that our offer has been accepted by the executors and Jim and I should shortly be the very proud owners of Chertsey. It all happened so quickly, after pursuing a completely different (in many ways) big Woolwich for the last six months, a chance conversation on the way to Braunston led to us viewing Chertsey on Tuesday and offering the asking price there and then. It is a stunning boat in many ways and I very much look forward to learning all I can about it from those of you on the forum who have known it over the years.

Well, where do I start.... Just heard this morning that our offer has been accepted by the executors and Jim and I should shortly be the very proud owners of Chertsey. It all happened so quickly, after pursuing a completely different (in many ways) big Woolwich for the last six months, a chance conversation on the way to Braunston led to us viewing Chertsey on Tuesday and offering the asking price there and then. It is a stunning boat in many ways and I very much look forward to learning all I can about it from those of you on the forum who have known it over the years.

How exciting! I look forward to the blog post with all the details.

MP.