Chertsey

AMModels

Featured Posts

Do you think that's in order, before we've actually taken possession? Cos I'd love to post some....

I don't own this one yet, but I will on Monday and I'm still allowed to post pictures:

3401.jpg

(Did I mention that I needed a weekend lottery win, though?)

Edited to swap for a picture that is actually in focus.

Edited by carlt

Well, where do I start.... Just heard this morning that our offer has been accepted by the executors and Jim and I should shortly be the very proud owners of Chertsey. It all happened so quickly, after pursuing a completely different (in many ways) big Woolwich for the last six months, a chance conversation on the way to Braunston led to us viewing Chertsey on Tuesday and offering the asking price there and then. It is a stunning boat in many ways and I very much look forward to learning all I can about it from those of you on the forum who have known it over the years.

Fantastic. Have you got any pics?

I love that traditional range peering through the back doors!

What's the engine, please ? Anything interesting, (or just another Gardner or Kelvin ? :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

EDIT:

I posted before I saw the extra pictures.

Looks like it's an air cooled engine - a nice Petter would be great!

Does the BSS man pass the Calor gas arrangements - I can't quite see the location of that cylinder conforming, or do working boats get an exemption on this ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Engine is Waterways issue PD2, currently seized but we hope that's just because it's been standing for eight years.

The cooker isn't staying with the boat!!! (perhaps I shouldn't have posted that - do you think they'll have a BSS raid? It is on private water at the moment I hasten to add.)

We think the engine room is original - anyone know anything to the contrary?

And the boat comes with mast and stands, and cratchboard, stamped with its fleet number. How cool is that?

Engine is Waterways issue PD2, currently seized but we hope that's just because it's been standing for eight years.

Swoon !

A real boat engine, and the ones I remember.

Truly great sounding engine, although the Armstrong AS2 is pretty damn fine too.

I certainly hope it can be made to go - I love 'em.

I have to admit I am not a great fan of the Big Woolwich as they always seem to appear slightly clumsy to me but having said that I was looking at Chertsey from the road bridge the other day and there was something about her which was just right in my eyes . She certainly gave me the impression she was all near original.

Considering whose boat she is moored next to in the picture I would be very surprised if her Bss status was not known.

Anyway I hope you get much pleasure from owning her and not too much grief.

The cooker isn't staying with the boat!!! (perhaps I shouldn't have posted that - do you think they'll have a BSS raid? It is on private water at the moment I hasten to add.)

We think the engine room is original - anyone know anything to the contrary?

And the boat comes with mast and stands, and cratchboard, stamped with its fleet number. How cool is that?

I see CHERTSEY is sporting a different pigeon box to the one I remember. I recall Richard preparing and taking CHERTSEY to one of the Black Country Museum working boat gatherings in the early 1980's and it had a conventional shaped pigeon box complete with an oval porthole on each flap which he claimed to be an original (although the oval portholes are desirable they were not fitted as standard to Large Woolwich motors).

(Did I mention that I needed a weekend lottery win, though?)

Don't give up hope on the lottery win Carl, a chap I work with won £762,000 last week ! (first prize split 4 ways)

Edited by pete harrison

I spy a Flavel Courier? What are you going to do with it?

Treat it carefully if it's in working order. Best cooker we ever had! If it's still around in mid August (we're off to France tomorrow), I'll ask again.

Derek.

It won't be ours - it belongs to the people that are handling the sale. Sorry!

Im not surprised your engine is siezed it was left with nowt over the exhaust to stop the wet and besides was sitting up the arm for years.Im glad "Chutney" got a good new home and will get some TLC.

Ian Kemp is your man for Petter knowhow and I think David Harris did some of the steelwork but Im not sure.

Good Luck and have fun, GU towns are absolutely the bestest ever in my view.Hope to see you about the Black country ,very best wishes from Madcat and Halsall

Well, where do I start.... Just heard this morning that our offer has been accepted by the executors and Jim and I should shortly be the very proud owners of Chertsey. It all happened so quickly, after pursuing a completely different (in many ways) big Woolwich for the last six months, a chance conversation on the way to Braunston led to us viewing Chertsey on Tuesday and offering the asking price there and then. It is a stunning boat in many ways and I very much look forward to learning all I can about it from those of you on the forum who have known it over the years.

Well done you guys. I know you've been hankering after one for many years and now the dream is a reallity.

You must be well chuffed. Keep us updated with your plans.

:lol: