mink

CJR

Featured Posts

The mink traps are out again,Mr browning loaded and ready.The hairy hoodies are back with vengance and running amuck around the boatyard.Wondered why the dog wasnt too keen to wander to far at night.She is not to keen after a face to face encounter with one.They seem to be getting bigger or is it me.

Ive only ever seen one. It was a brazen so and so. It wandered across the car park through the sales pitch then proceeded to scare some woman refueling her boat. Poor woman nearly fell in. According to security there are a family of them in the marina but only the one sighting so far.

I have only knowingly seen one. When we were moored outside the Cape of Good Hope in Warwick, it strolled nonchalantly along the flagstones at the water's edge, right past our boat. It looked quite cute, but I gather that mink are carnivorous and kill many smaller creatures. Which species in particular are threatened by them?

I have only knowingly seen one. When we were moored outside the Cape of Good Hope in Warwick, it strolled nonchalantly along the flagstones at the water's edge, right past our boat. It looked quite cute, but I gather that mink are carnivorous and kill many smaller creatures. Which species in particular are threatened by them?

There was one at Huddersfield that was reputed to have taken a whole brood of ducklings. That was fairly bold. Ugly little face.

ALL!! well you name the mink will probably have a go at it.I believe otters drive out mink,but i am not sure if they actually kill them or just scare them to another area.

ALL!! well you name the mink will probably have a go at it.I believe otters drive out mink,but i am not sure if they actually kill them or just scare them to another area.

Dont know if thats true. There is a family of otters live around a drainage culvert near the marina entrance and the mink live within the marina so their paths must cross at some point.

Dont know if thats true. There is a family of otters live around a drainage culvert near the marina entrance and the mink live within the marina so their paths must cross at some point.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/m...ack-584630.html

Research by zoologists at the University of Oxford has found that, for the first time in 40 years, otters are displacing American mink along river banks across the country. In rare cases, otters are even killing mink in direct combat. And the decline is dramatic, with mink numbers falling in the Home Counties by as much as 50 per cent. From a nationwide peak of 110,000 mink in the 1980s, mink numbers could now be as low as 40,000.

Mink are nasty fearless creatures which kill off most of the other wildlife on and in the canal. We used to have a good population of swans, ducks, moorhens, coots etc on the Union canal but not any more. Over a fairly short period, Mr Mink has reduced the bird populatioon so that it is now almost an event to see other wildife.

They are absolutely fearless and will face up to anything and unlike most wildlife they don't seem to mind wandering where there are people about.

The mink farmers and others who released them into the wild have a lot to answer for.

haggis

Edited (I hope) to sort out typos :-)

Edited by haggis

The mink traps are out again,Mr browning loaded and ready.The hairy hoodies are back with vengance and running amuck around the boatyard.Wondered why the dog wasnt too keen to wander to far at night.She is not to keen after a face to face encounter with one.They seem to be getting bigger or is it me.

I don't know? Are you getting bigger?? Mink are for sure! I saw one today and mistook it for a cat!! No, it was a mink!!

My neighbour's Jack Russell sorted out the mink that ate everything in our pound.

Brave dog.

I use to work for Birds Eye Foods and they had a mink farm where all the fish waste went. Vicious little so and so's

Mink are nasty fearless creatures which kill off most of the other wildlife on and in the canal. We used to have a good population of swans, ducks, moorhens, coots etc on the Union canal but not any more. Over a fairly short period, Mr Mink has reduced the bird populatioon so that it is now almost an event to see other wildife.

They are absolutely fearless and will face up to anything and unlike most wildlife they don't seem to mind wandering where there are people about.

The mink farmers and others who released them into the wild have a lot to answer for.

haggis

Edited (I hope) to sort out typos :-)

I don't think you will find it was the farmers that released them

I don't think you will find it was the farmers that released them

Although the Animal Rights people allegedly released mink, some farmers did too when they realised that the "get rich quick" scheme which they had bought into wouldn't actually make them rich quick. Far cheaper to cut their losses and leave the cages open than to have the mink humanely destroyed.

Haggis

Although the Animal Rights people allegedly released mink, some farmers did too when they realised that the "get rich quick" scheme which they had bought into wouldn't actually make them rich quick. Far cheaper to cut their losses and leave the cages open than to have the mink humanely destroyed.

Haggis

The Great Ooze at Bedford was overun by mink that had for sure been released by a local farmer who joined the "get rich quick" brigade. At the time I was vaguely involved with the local cruising club and they eventually took the matter into their own hands and started trapping and shooting the little fellows. You can imagine the outcry from thos misguided animal lovers!!!

A few years ago we had a mink that decided to live under the front deck of an old narrow boat we had. The first we knew was one day on a Sunday cruise with friends the wife was making a cup of tea in the galley and saw it looking through the window at her. Once the screaming stopped we quickly pulled in to the bank and encouraged it with a boat pole to abandon ship.

When we lifted the deck the smell and mess was horrendous, Feathers and fish bones everywhere It took hours to clean out and repaint. All gaps were sealed and never saw any sign of it again - it was a couple of miles away from our mooring though where it jumped ship :lol::lol:

I was told this weekend that two different people have seen a Mink on our moorings... I suppose it will do the rat population some good and they will probably move on once they have exhausted their "favourite dishes".

Wow I want a Mink and stop those dogs that are just let out at night. Guess you are one of those people who let there dogs out at night to S**t on the Towpath maybe if you went out with the dog on a lead and a plastic bag it would be better.

Wow I want a Mink and stop those dogs that are just let out at night. Guess you are one of those people who let there dogs out at night to S**t on the Towpath maybe if you went out with the dog on a lead and a plastic bag it would be better.

Well if we are going to jump to conclussions, I guess you are one of those people who have nothing better to do than count dog turds on towpaths and leave notes on peoples doors. For your information, I don't live on a towpath I live in a boat yard where we are the only liveaboard, and we also maintain security by letting the dog out in the evening to deter the local itinerents from liberating property that does not belong to them.

Perhaps you should check the facts before making assumptions.

Well if we are going to jump to conclussions, I guess you are one of those people who have nothing better to do than count dog turds on towpaths and leave notes on peoples doors. For your information, I don't live on a towpath I live in a boat yard where we are the only liveaboard, and we also maintain security by letting the dog out in the evening to deter the local itinerents from liberating property that does not belong to them.

Perhaps you should check the facts before making assumptions.

Unfortunatly I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the dog turds left on the towpath by dog owners who only clear up when they are being watched and then quite often do not even clear up when being watched. I do not leave notes as it would take to much time with the amount of dog owners that just don't care.

Unfortunatly I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the dog turds left on the towpath by dog owners who only clear up when they are being watched and then quite often do not even clear up when being watched. I do not leave notes as it would take to much time with the amount of dog owners that just don't care.

Yes i have sympathy. Just a thought,have you thought about buying a camera and taking a photo of the offender in full motion so there is no question,to whom the offending substance belongs.Bag the evidence and take it to BW HQ they may fine the owner.

Yes i have sympathy. Just a thought,have you thought about buying a camera and taking a photo of the offender in full motion so there is no question,to whom the offending substance belongs.Bag the evidence and take it to BW HQ they may fine the owner.

I have never met a dog owner who can see anything wrong with their disgusting practice of taking a dog to a public place to empty itself.

Rant over.

We had a 'nest' of them under the caravan (2 big 'uns, 3 little 'uns). When the dogs eventually flushed them out, the chaos and screaming that ensued very nearly had the neighbours calling the police. Haven't seen another one in the several years since, but there are now otters back on the river, so perhaps that is significant.

Mac