BATTERIES

arlow11

Featured Posts

hellooo,

Iam awating completion of my sailaway and am looking for stuff as you do ,iam considering a 24 volt electics to save on cable are these batteries on ebay as good as they sound, and how would i check if there ok?

My 3 reasons for saying "NO" to these:

1. They are only 76AH. This is very small for a NB domestic battery. That also may not be at the 20hr rate as these are used as power supply backup batteries. So they may be specced at a different hour rate and therefore may only be 30 or 40 AH at the 20 hr rate. That's the first question I would ask the vendor, viz: what's the hour rate at which the 76AH is determined. If he/she answers "wazzat", walk away.

2. They are sealed batteries. These require careful charging at no higher than 14.4v, so they will charge much slower than wet cells. Also, they must not be abused or else they will eject electrolyte thrrough the safety valve which can never be restored, resulting in a loss of capacity and life.

3. They are used, second-hand batteries. You have no way of knowing what has happened to an individual battery. You will often be miles from anywhere on your boat and reliant on these batteries. Not worth the risk to me.

Chris

As an aside, I remain unconvinced of the benefits over the downsides of 24 volt electrics on a typical narrow boat.

Apart from issues around sourcing an engine with 24 volt alernator(s), and possibly 24 volt starter motor, 24 volt equipment is generally a lot less available.

Any canalside chandlery will sell you a 12 volt water pump, if yours has failed, but how many will stock such things in 24 volts.

Personally I'd pay for, and find space for, the fatter cabling, and stick at 12 volts throughout.

A lot of things like rechargeable torches, vacuum cleaners, etc etc will also plug directly into 12 volt, with no adaption required.