News

Featured Posts

Well, I've started on a design and I've bought some domain names.

I'm going with Towpath Telegraph (thank you Eugene and good to see you again). The main URL will be towpath-telegraph.com. I also have towpath-telegraph.net and towpathtelegraph.net. There are some other iterations already taken, one doesn't respond, another belongs to a company that says a news site is coming soon but the name's been registered since '02.

Anyway, I've started work on a proper list of topics or categories. This is shaping up to be more of a magazine so there will be some defined overall categories and maybe some specific categories but a lot of the categories will be created on the fly as an article comes to fill them or they are needed.

Waterways News

- No specific sub topics, will use tagging/categories as needed.

Waterways Living

- Live-aboards

- Events

- Recipes

- Pubs and Places

- Photos

- Towpath

- Environment

- Boat Hire

- Pet Life

Maintenance and Boat-building

- Upkeep

- New Boat Review

- Buyers Tips

- Maintenance Tips

- Improvements and Restoration

Equipment

- Gadgets

- Product Reviews

- Waterways Traders

Features

- Trip Reports

- Letters

Columns

- Fuzzy Hates You

- Dave and Carl Disagree

- I <3 Rosie & Jim

- :lol:

History and Heritage

- This day in history

Weather

I want to do this but I've not found a good data source yet.

I've also had an idea for making it user-driven. The page would have a map with locks and points of interest marked. Users can report conditions in the area and it will track how old the report is.

If I can find a good source for flow states and other info it will be incorporated.

Thanks for all the help so far. There is no way this will come off without all for your help... unless you're interested in a site about current conditions on a 10 mile stretch of the York River and the latest updates on whether my neighbours house has sold... perhaps I should ad that under columns.

How about 'Towpath Telegraph'? Fairly popular term already that helps give the site the boost for readership.

I'm looking forward to seeing it come online and reading the contributions. If there was room for an annonymous contributor column.........

All the best, Eugene

But now we'd know it was you...

Ha...who says?! It was only a suggestion after all, and I'm sure there are numerous others who could contribute annonymously....even if you always thought it was me!

Eugene

Maybe we could all write as " Eugene " that way nobody would know who was who !!

Will the real Eugene Baston please stand up

:lol:

Chris

Edited by Baldock

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite still mulling over the structure I've got a design coming together for the new Towpath-Telegraph.

3045738255_8a8bd11d30.jpg

You can see a larger version at the link.

I'm not quite sure what to do with that second from bottom section. I'm thinking of registration at first then having a few different modules users could chose from when they're logged in (recent, weather, etc) Also thinking of a user driven stoppages ticker.

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
Unsuitable content removed

If you have a genuine problem with John the Duck's presence on this site then might I suggest you contact a member of the Admin team and tell them of your concerns. Otherwise, either post genuine posts that contribute positively to the discussion in hand, or go away.

Natalie.

Edited by NB Alnwick