Report Unlicensed Boats!

MartinClark

Featured Posts

I'm sorry to hear that Tusses, all the best with your latest boat project, best get a crane for storage though!

Similar thing happened to me, but they told me it would be ok while I was sorting it out, then took my boat, bollarded my access, and claimed the offside of the canal as theirs, now their boaters use my field, one stole my house(unfortunately abandoned, so legally squatted for 18 years, then mysteriously burnt down useing accelerants, acording to the fire brigade) BW stole my back garden, tools, equipment and car, then atacked me on several occasions using a registered mentally ill warden with a shovel, my life is made unbearable if I go near the place!

rant not over! :lol:

That a bum deal you got there :lol: sorry to hear that

I dont have a latest project - and probably wont get another boat. well.... maybe a salty one , if I find myself single :lol:

not unless the system get's its act together :lol:

Its a shame - cuz it could be nice !

What a great topic! Here's my two penneth....

If you are a member of society, then you must morally abide by the rules of that society.

If you have a boat on BW waters then you need a licence and possibly a BSS.

On the roads I assume no one is defending not having a licensed, insured and MOT'd car. What is the difference?

The option does not exist to pick which rules you obey and which you do not.

As to the point that the boater is too poor to buy a licence...Well, if you see them give them a knock and offer them the money for one (I think cash would be prefered), and wait to see how long it takes them to display the licence.

The canals are not a freeloaders paradise, and I for one will report any boats I see without a licence.

What a great topic! Here's my two penneth....

If you are a member of society, then you must morally abide by the rules of that society.

If you have a boat on BW waters then you need a licence and possibly a BSS.

On the roads I assume no one is defending not having a licensed, insured and MOT'd car. What is the difference?

As to the point that the boater is too poor to buy a licence...Well, if you see them give them a knock and offer them the money for one (I think cash would be prefered), and wait to see how long it takes them to display the licence.

The canals are not a freeloaders paradise, and I for one will report any boats I see without a licence.

:lol:

/rant on

Oh my god.

In a country that has more cctv cameras pointed at you than most other countries in the world, where compulsary ID cards are on their way, where our internet usage, emails, browsing history etc are all stored for years and monitored by big brother, where your car registration plate is logged everytime your move up the motorway..... there are actually people that think that being encouraged to spy on each other is a right and necessary thing?

The last thing we need are schemes like this.

To divide one of the last few communities in the country by encouraging people to spy, snoop and snitch on their neighbours is one hell of a bad idea.

Why not just arm the population with guns... then anyone with a clipboard and the inclination to spot a minor "crime", can shoot dead the offending thieving scum? Surely that is problem solved, as all the boats of the freeloading parasites can be sold for scrap, and all the good honest law abiding upstanding citizens can have more free space on their rivers and canals, and earn gold stars towards their citizen of the year award.

I'm truly sickened by this thread.

/rant off

Looks like these people were Grassed Up

Tim

:lol: How on earth could they have run the lights to grow pot on a boat? A genny running 12-18 hours a day would be enough for me to ring the police, I wouldn't mind if they just were selling a bit of weed! I spose the heat generated would offset the coal bill though. :lol:

Why not just arm the population with guns... then anyone with a clipboard and the inclination to spot a minor "crime", can shoot dead the offending thieving scum?

Welcome to the U S of A

:lol: How on earth could they have run the lights to grow pot on a boat? A genny running 12-18 hours a day would be enough for me to ring the police, I wouldn't mind if they just were selling a bit of weed! I spose the heat generated would offset the coal bill though. :lol:

Canabis will quite happily grow un-aided in this country, You do not need artificial heat, it just won't grow as quickly or a big as the artificially heated plant.

How do I know? because my Grandfather used to grow it in his garden in Buckinghamshire, he also grew tobacco and made his own cigars. Whether he mixed the two is not known, but he was good fun.

To all the spys/snoopers/snitches out there...

Can any one of you honestly claim to never have broken a single law (however minor) in their entire lives?

If not, did you get away with it?

If the answer is no and yes respectively, then it would be a bit hypocritical to start snitching on others for the minor crime of an unlicenced boat wouldn't it?

To quote Terry Pratchett 'everybody is undoubtedly guilty of something'

/rant on

Oh my god.

In a country that has more cctv cameras pointed at you than most other countries in the world, where compulsary ID cards are on their way, where our internet usage, emails, browsing history etc are all stored for years and monitored by big brother, where your car registration plate is logged everytime your move up the motorway..... there are actually people that think that being encouraged to spy on each other is a right and necessary thing?

The last thing we need are schemes like this.

To divide one of the last few communities in the country by encouraging people to spy, snoop and snitch on their neighbours is one hell of a bad idea.

Why not just arm the population with guns... then anyone with a clipboard and the inclination to spot a minor "crime", can shoot dead the offending thieving scum? Surely that is problem solved, as all the boats of the freeloading parasites can be sold for scrap, and all the good honest law abiding upstanding citizens can have more free space on their rivers and canals, and earn gold stars towards their citizen of the year award.

I'm truly sickened by this thread.

/rant off

Don't be too sickened. At least as many people here have opposed it as have supported it.

Ridiculous comparison.

It is not a comparison. Eastern stated quite clearly that :

According to that line if the rules say kill your child then you have no option but to obey the rule and do it.

I used the extreme example that I did to illustrate a point, if a rule is imoral, unjust or otherwise wrong, you should not obey.

Canabis will quite happily grow un-aided in this country, You do not need artificial heat, it just won't grow as quickly or a big as the artificially heated plant.

How do I know? because my Grandfather used to grow it in his garden in Buckinghamshire, he also grew tobacco and made his own cigars. Whether he mixed the two is not known, but he was good fun.

Maybe but I bet he didn't grow it in a steel box with holes in the side...

I wonder whether Granddad made rope? I've always wanted to meet a fender maker :lol:

This is ridiculous! Unlicenced boats are an issue that concerns BW as they like to assert their ownership of the right to be on the canal with a boat. It has very little to do with actual law and order. I know someone who challenged BW over this issue for decades, BW tried to stop him being able to go on the towpath or canal anywhere on the network, with or without a boat in the end! The courts tried to take BW seriously, but of course could not grant them any right to do this. What kind of agency would think it had such powers!

I wonder if anyone realises that in many places there was no system for paying to have a boat there,indeed it was sometimes a miracle anyone got themselves moveing or moored up at all, and that people had to lobby BW to accept their allowing boats to be lived in. BW for some of us are the cuckoo brained new kids on the block kicking cans arround.

/rant on

Oh my god.

In a country that has more cctv cameras pointed at you than most other countries in the world, where compulsary ID cards are on their way, where our internet usage, emails, browsing history etc are all stored for years and monitored by big brother, where your car registration plate is logged everytime your move up the motorway.....

there are actually people that think that being encouraged to spy on each other is a right and necessary thing?

The reality is that despite all of these controls, there are still those who think it's just fine and dandy to use all of the resources, free of charge, that the rest of us law-abiding citizens are paying for.

You free-loader, me resentful payer of all my dues who will report you if I spot you. What's the problem?

"The reality is that despite all of these controls, there are still those who think it's just fine and dandy to use all of the resources, free of charge, that the rest of us law-abiding citizens are paying for."

Hmm, you actually think you pay a license fee ti use "these facilities"?

Are you sure that is the case?

What IN REALITY does your license allow you to do?

You free-loader, me resentful payer of all my dues who will report you if I spot you. What's the problem?

There are two things here, as I see it.....

1) The complexities as to whether it is right or reasonable for some of us to be spying on others and filing reports

and

2) Whether having that kind of information logged will actually bring about real change in dealing with unlicensed boats.

I personally don't need to get embroiled in the debates about (1) because it is my firm belief that (2) will simply make no difference.

I say (yet again) I see this largely as a way of trying to silence complainers, both those who publically moan about the situation, and those who ring BW up to complain about individual boats.

So in my view, it doesn't matter about the rights or wrongs - what is being done will not work any better than current arrangements.

My reason remains that on the whole it will not give them significantly better data than they have by the regular recording of all boats. Worse, if people chose to clog the system with inaccurate reports, any attempt to action, could waste a great deal of BW resource. (If I own an unlicensed boat in Hertfordshire, I could chose to file reports that it is in Yorkshire.....)

Exactly that comment is the problem.

You've obviously found my boat name and reg number and entered it on the bw site. It might have come up as "unregistered", congratulations! Another gold star in your citizen badge? Do you feel all warm and fuzzy now? Do you have a sense of moral superiority?

The question you should have asked... is does my boat require a bw licence at this point in time? The answer would be "no".... but what do you care... i am a free-loader, and you resent me for that.

"What's the problem?"

errr... in this scenario... you.

Thanks for your input.

Marc.

not inside a narrowboat it won't, it will need artificial light, unless there is a huge sky-light on the boat, there will be very little light in the boat for it to grow.

not inside a narrowboat it won't, it will need artificial light, unless there is a huge sky-light on the boat, there will be very little light in the boat for it to grow.

Most of the ones I've noticed are mixed in with the rooftop tomato plants.

And then there was the waterways Johnny Appleseed.....

I've certainly seen it growing wild beside some remote locks.

I can't remember where that was though, (and that's not like in the old joke about "If you can remember the sixties, you probably weren't there"....).

There are two things here, as I see it.....

1) The complexities as to whether it is right or reasonable for some of us to be spying on others and filing reports

and

2) Whether having that kind of information logged will actually bring about real change in dealing with unlicensed boats.

I personally don't need to get embroiled in the debates about (1) because it is my firm belief that (2) will simply make no difference.

I say (yet again) I see this largely as a way of trying to silence complainers, both those who publically moan about the situation, and those who ring BW up to complain about individual boats.

So in my view, it doesn't matter about the rights or wrongs - what is being done will not work any better than current arrangements.

My reason remains that on the whole it will not give them significantly better data than they have by the regular recording of all boats. Worse, if people chose to clog the system with inaccurate reports, any attempt to action, could waste a great deal of BW resource. (If I own an unlicensed boat in Hertfordshire, I could chose to file reports that it is in Yorkshire.....)

Oh no, this makes me think it's all just an excuse for BW to get out of the office and waste some more money walking off a business lunch and a few beers!

tidal's got a point there, about what is it you get. As I see it you get the right to be part of a group of people who manicure a much needed wildlife coridoor to death, as whilst abandoned in some places, that's what it became, enabling development of other areas as the wildlife still had somewhere to go, a kind of industrial set asside rotation scheme. But now the abandoned areas become retail parks, and wetlands classy housing estates, so this wildlife corridoor is needed more than ever. You would have thought with all the envioro hype these days that people would be looking out for such places, unfortunately the opposite is the case. Please remember it is not just your canal but also that of the plants and animals, and they are a bunch of freeloaders and have a can't pay won't pay attitude to boot!

Between us all there is enough energy to look after this, BW are just enjoying getting away with syphoning it off. BW are the dirty thieving freeloaders of today, times have changed.