Rainwear

NBMike

Featured Posts

If anyone is interested in Drizabone coats, they are available on special offer at the moment on this website http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/sho...0&cat_id=26. The service is fantastic, I ordered one on 11th September and it arrived this morning.

Mike :lol:

I hope that you are pleased with coat, but I must tell you that I bought one and I am very dissapointed with it. The construction of the sleeves is such that the turn up where the lining is attached is very small. Water runs down the sleeve and wicks up the lining giving you a damp arms. I have tried waxing the lining for a couple of inches up from the bottom of the sleeve, but it still happens.

I also bought a sou'wester type hat. This is even worse. It leaks where the 'Drizabone' label is sewn in and the lining of the hat rubs on the shoulders of the coat, thus wicking the water up and onto my head. Again waxing the lining reduces this, but does not eliminate it.

I'm afraid it is another brand that has 'style over substance'

East

If anyone is interested in Drizabone coats, they are available on special offer at the moment on this website http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/sho...0&cat_id=26. The service is fantastic, I ordered one on 11th September and it arrived this morning.

Mike :lol:

11 days is fantastic service!

Tim

I have a Drizabone, which I love with a passion. However, it wasn't fully waterproof until it received it's second accidental coating of engine oil. As for water wicking up the inside of the sleeve I reckon that a lifetime in Gor-Tex has softened you lot up! I should also point out that they weigh half ton at least when soaked and takes about three days to dry out in front of the Squirrel. Still adore it though ......... :lol:

These drizabone coats seem to be highly thought of.

Are they really that good or are they just a style statement for narrowboaters?

I've been looking at them for a while but I'm not convinced I can be bothered with all that re-waxing - I've got barbour coats and trousers hanging in workshop that need doing.

Sending off to Oz is ok but what about this lot - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Yorkshirecountryman - they're in the uk. Has anybody used them?

There is definitely more user friendly wet weather gear on the market - but I must admit I do like the styling.

I've a long Drizabone like the one advertised and whilst it was fine when just stood steering I found the extra length just flapped around and got in the way when doing locks. A half-length, non-wax, Barbour is now my waterproof of choice.

I have a Drizabone, which I love with a passion. However, it wasn't fully waterproof until it received it's second accidental coating of engine oil. As for water wicking up the inside of the sleeve I reckon that a lifetime in Gor-Tex has softened you lot up! I should also point out that they weigh half ton at least when soaked and takes about three days to dry out in front of the Squirrel. Still adore it though ......... :lol:

What I wanted to convey in my earlier post is that the style of the drovers coat is great. It's just as a practical piece of wet weather gear that it falls down.

I would have thought that preventing water being wicked up the sleeve was a basic requirement, which has been solved on my Daks waxed jacket by using a inner storm cuff. I would buy a pair of cuffs and sew them in to the Drizabone, if I knew where you buy them.

Drizabone could easily solve the problem by increasing the size of the turn up on the cuff.

I find mine is great for taking the dog for a walk etc, but useless as when steering a narrowboat in medium and heavy rain. Better to get a wax jacket on offer at Lidl next week - £29.99 IIRC!

East

This is what I use, ex Royal Navy foul weather gear it's the best bargain I ever bought. I tried waxed cotton and found it almost useless; it weighs a ton when wet and goes as stiff as a board when the temperature drops. £200 gortex jacket which was replaced twice, still leaked and stopped breathing when wet, according to the manufacturer apparently rain blocks the membrane and stops the material breathing!

Determined not to waste more money on fashionable crap I bought one of these on the local flea market complete with matching trousers, superb. I have worn it on winter north sea fishing trips over the top of a ski suit and been perfectly dry and warm, worn it on some grim days stood on the back of a narrow boat and again dry and warm.

If you a serious about staying dry it is what you need. :lol:

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr161.html

In a word MUSTO worn mine in the pouring rain for hours at a time and not a drop came in not cheap though! ,Also have a nato heavywieght gortex jacket and trousers bought from army surplus again worn for hours sat in the rain fishing or walking the dog and not a drop got in downside is it makes you look like action man :lol: but they do work Steve.

What I wanted to convey in my earlier post is that the style of the drovers coat is great. It's just as a practical piece of wet weather gear that it falls down.

I would have thought that preventing water being wicked up the sleeve was a basic requirement, which has been solved on my Daks waxed jacket by using a inner storm cuff. I would buy a pair of cuffs and sew them in to the Drizabone, if I knew where you buy them.

Drizabone could easily solve the problem by increasing the size of the turn up on the cuff.

I find mine is great for taking the dog for a walk etc, but useless as when steering a narrowboat in medium and heavy rain. Better to get a wax jacket on offer at Lidl next week - £29.99 IIRC!

East

I have had a long Drizabone coat for about 5 years, have re waxed it about 4 times but still get my arms wet. I thought it was coming through the seams but maybe its wicking up.

The style is great as it takes the water right down to below the boot line and if my arms were dry it would be great.