What do you think of this welding and paint job?

Featured Posts

Guest TerryL
Many of thousands of pounds was paid for this work to be done. including these 2 hatches being put in and a whole paint job. What do you think of it ?

Robust but not very pretty. About my standard of welding! :lol:

They look like countersunk screws holding the hatch, but they aren't countersunk. Second rate

Some appear not to be even screwed fully home, which is third rate.

As has been discussed in other threads, paint jobs cost thousands even for basic work, a job like that wouldn't be cheap even at the economy end of the market.

That's no excuse for bad work, though.

Tim

The welding not pretty but doesn't look as if its going to drop of anytime soon. Personally I would have liked to have seen the weld bead tidied up using a corner flap wheel and prehaps the application of a little filler just to smooth the low spots before painting.

As for the paint run not really acceptable.

The welding not pretty but doesn't look as if its going to drop of anytime soon. Personally I would have liked to have seen the weld bead tidied up using a corner flap wheel and prehaps the application of a little filler just to smooth the low spots before painting.

As for the paint run not really acceptable.

They buckled the roof when cutting out the roof hatch, so now there is quite a big dent in the roof, they said that it was because there was not enough supports in the roof, I would of thought they should of checked that out before cutting it out.

Edited by moggyjo

Hi,

It's interesting, but it depends on the spec. you gave them, it looks as though the camber of the roof did not lend itself to fitting a 'Houdini' hatch.

Did you want light or ventilation? - if the former I would have gone for a 'prism' a much neater option.

looks as though they did not have a rolling machine.

Basically wrong fitting for roof of this style.

Did they advise you before fitting it.

Albi

Hi,

It's interesting, but it depends on the spec. you gave them, it looks as though the camber of the roof did not lend itself to fitting a 'Houdini' hatch.

Did you want light or ventilation? - if the former I would have gone for a 'prism' a much neater option.

looks as though they did not have a rolling machine.

Basically wrong fitting for roof of this style.

Did they advise you before fitting it.

Albi

Hi Albi, its not my boat but I did tell the owner of the boat about the guy that was at Braunston rally this summer, that makes up fittings, that you then bolt onto the roof and sit the hatch on the top. I thought they looked quite good as he makes them to fit any curve. The ownr mentioned it to the yard but they said, no and that welding was a much better option. :lol:

take some piccies, send them to the place that did it and ask them whether they REALLY want to let the boat be like this? I persume the guy has already paid the money, so I guess the only way is to see whether they actually want work like that coming out of their yard.

I saw a very poor sign writing job on a new boat, and when I asked the boatyard why they let it out of their yard looking so bad, they didnt seem that bothered, and certainly didn't seem to know it was 'bad'. I persume it is just an indication of their general standards, and aren't bothered y their reputation nor want business sent their way (good job as I know wide beam and narrowboat folk who have gone elsewhere). They do use a different painter now, but that doesn't change the fact that the boats signwiring is awful, I think it should be re-done! That is by the by of course.

So, if the yard that did the boat you have put pictures up of is in a similar position you wont get anywhere. I would however, be surprised if that were the case, and it is worth saying something and/or drawing their attention to it. Repercussions like this are not good for any yard.

The welding is appalling. It wouldn't even be acceptable to me if I had done that. He/she clearly has no idea how to setup their equipment. :lol:

The painting is alright, its the quality of the prep that is pretty shocking .. and those screws just tell you everything you need to know.

Would I take it back? Absolutely. I'd probably also be rather angry. I'd certainly be speaking to the boss of the outfit. If he wasn't sympathetic then I'd simply make it clear I want a full refund on the work or I want the work done to a professional standard within a reasonable time frame. Boat yards and staff in boat yards can often be rather tough people to take a grievance against so I can understand how folk might be tempted to let it go.

- Hobbs

The welding is appalling.

- Hobbs

i am glad some one else has said that. I think its terrible. The settings are wrong, penitration is minimal (ok it wont fall off just glad its not structural) some beads are under cutting (under cutting reduces the thickness of the steel so weakening it) the sheet, others have missed the joint, the start & stops between rods dont merge (or the person doing it was trying to minimise the distortion by doing short runs with a mig but still no merging of runs). I would be ashamed to say I did that & so should they. I would say they got a trainee or a "jobber" to do those welds not a welder.

Justme

PS cant comment on the paint job cos my painting is crap.

Edited by Justme

The welding is appalling. It wouldn't even be acceptable to me if I had done that. He/she clearly has no idea how to setup their equipment. :lol:

The painting is alright, its the quality of the prep that is pretty shocking .. and those screws just tell you everything you need to know.

Would I take it back? Absolutely. I'd probably also be rather angry. I'd certainly be speaking to the boss of the outfit. If he wasn't sympathetic then I'd simply make it clear I want a full refund on the work or I want the work done to a professional standard within a reasonable time frame. Boat yards and staff in boat yards can often be rather tough people to take a grievance against so I can understand how folk might be tempted to let it go.

- Hobbs

Badly set up. lot of wire low amps.

Personally, I'd say that this job looks less than second rate, more like an inexperienced DIY job than professional!!! I'd get the boat owners to go to Trading Standards, as they paid for a professional job and got a pile of crap in return!!! If the welds have cut into the steelwork, it could also cause leaks, which I'm sure you know can cause a lot of damage and expensive repairs... :lol:

Very poor work... :lol: