Fitting a domestic gas hob

Featured Posts

I'm fitting a domestic hob into my boat (it has LPG jets and thermocouples) but I'm not entirely clear how it ought to be coupled up. The fitting coming off the hob is an elbow with a 1/2 inch BSP male end and it's meant to be joined to the pipework with a female fitting that includes a fibre type washer (the washer was supplied with hob). I'm sure I've read that fibre washers aren't suitable with LPG so I'm a little mystified what to use. Anyone able to offer advice?

I'm fitting a domestic hob into my boat (it has LPG jets and thermocouples) but I'm not entirely clear how it ought to be coupled up. The fitting coming off the hob is an elbow with a 1/2 inch BSP male end and it's meant to be joined to the pipework with a female fitting that includes a fibre type washer (the washer was supplied with hob). I'm sure I've read that fibre washers aren't suitable with LPG so I'm a little mystified what to use. Anyone able to offer advice?

Not sure about the washer, but hobs are always fitted witha flexible hose which connects to hob and gas feed.

Do you not have to be CORGI registered to carry out this work?

Tim

As far as I am aware you don't have to be CORGI to work on your own boat so long as you are 'competent' and, before anyone says, I have done lots of plumbing and gas work on my boat and on dry land - just not this particular job - so I consider myself 'competent' especially compared with some of the CORGI horror anecdotes I've read previously on this site.

Can you not fit a 8mm or 3/8" comp. to 1/2" BSP female connector? Then you can connect a 8mm (or 3/8") braided flexible pipe to it, with the other end connecting to the isolation valve.

Interestingly, whilst it is normal practice to connect a LPG hob with flexible hose on a boat, domestic gas hobs have to be connected by rigid pipe.

Edited by dor

there is no reason to use a flexi pipe where the stove is fixed, as on a canal boat. I suppose the concept derives from gimballed stoves on sailing boats. In fact the BSS discourages hoses unless they are absolutely necessary, and the BSS was written for ALL types of pleasure boats.

I used a 180degree half loop formed in the pipe before making the final connection, to allow some flexibility to avoid straining the connections. Keep the loop tight, you have fix the pipe within a short distance of the connection (6inches if my memory serves me right - it's in the regulations).

Slightly

:lol:

but I replaced all the flexible braided gas hoses on our boat for the BSS, including the one to the hob, (which is a fixture in a worktop).

Although I had no problem sourcing suitable hoses, (they are much cheaper from BES), the examiner said that this idea is about to be discontinued, and that in future only the orange hose will be used, (which is what the braided ones are inside anyway).

He said this was because you can't se the condition of, or damage to, the hose if it's braided.

What is certainly true is that the orange hose has the date stamped on it, whereas the braided has little clip on tags that can be easily removed from a "new" hose and substituted on an "old". (Less work than changing the hose, if someone's just trying to get a BSS pass quickly at any cost... :lol::lol::lol: )

I've not seen this info elsewhere, but might be worth checking before you buy flexible hoses, as one choice might be more "future proof" than another.

On Chris' point, if you use a flexible hose, it does permit individual kitchen units to be detached, and drawn forward slightly, if necessary for any other work. Solid copper means breaking connections to move things, if you have to.

Alan