woolhampton pub

Mrs Panda

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.

I have been trying to find the name of the pub at Woolhampton and possibly the post code for out sat nav. I remember it to be by the swingbridge, on the canal. Just a little way from the station.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Many thanks

Mrs P

I don't think any " when trad pubs go bad" experience quite sapped the spirit as much as walking into "The Blue Lias", in the late-nineties and being inflicted with the thatched, "caribbean island style" decor.

I can't bring myself to go back, until someone tells me it was a brief moment of madness and the landlord has returned the pub to reality.

Yeah, it's lost a lot of its charm indoors. But it's still a good place to be on a sunny day, sitting by the canal with a beer, watching the hireboats wipe out.

:D

I agree, its never short on boaty entertainment especially if there is a bit of flood water in the river, i've never seen so many fenders on a boat as there is on the one below the lock :D

Paul

I agree, its never short on boaty entertainment especially if there is a bit of flood water in the river, i've never seen so many fenders on a boat as there is on the one below the lock :D

Paul

That boat needs those fenders! Ashamed to say I ran into it last week; got caught one a sandbank (apparantly, its a good excuse anyway), then got caught in the current and pushed straight onto it. Crash. Boat behind was the same. One lock up the next day met a BW dredger coming down to clear the sandbank for monday; the owner will be pleased, he had a good old moan about BW and the sandbank (they'd even been charging him eofG mooring fees although he was the riparian owner of the river bed!

Was bought a meal in the pub; expensive and not too good.

That boat needs those fenders! Ashamed to say I ran into it last week; got caught one a sandbank (apparantly, its a good excuse anyway), then got caught in the current and pushed straight onto it. Crash. Boat behind was the same. One lock up the next day met a BW dredger coming down to clear the sandbank for monday; the owner will be pleased, he had a good old moan about BW and the sandbank (they'd even been charging him eofG mooring fees although he was the riparian owner of the river bed!

Was bought a meal in the pub; expensive and not too good.

When I was a kid the sand bank stretched 2/3 the way across the river, its a regular job nowadays to remove it, but TBH if you hit the sandbank you were heading for trouble anyway, as it only gets in the way if you try and 'straight line' the crossing of the flow.

Paul

I don't think any " when trad pubs go bad" experience quite sapped the spirit as much as walking into "The Blue Lias", in the late-nineties and being inflicted with the thatched, "caribbean island style" decor.

I can't bring myself to go back, until someone tells me it was a brief moment of madness and the landlord has returned the pub to reality.

And all the Scotch Whiskies had disappeared, the Vampire bomber no longer filled the car park, and we were served pints of disgustingly cloudy undrinkable beer then when we complained they said "No it's real ale so it's supposed to be like that!". We haven't been back again either.

When I was a kid the sand bank stretched 2/3 the way across the river, its a regular job nowadays to remove it, but TBH if you hit the sandbank you were heading for trouble anyway, as it only gets in the way if you try and 'straight line' the crossing of the flow.

Paul

It's not just the hirers that wipe out, .... we've seen the boss do it too :D mind you he was taking one of the 70 footers through for the hirers because the river was running a bit. A certain amount of straight line is the only way to get a 70 footer in.

simon.

It's not just the hirers that wipe out, .... we've seen the boss do it too :D mind you he was taking one of the 70 footers through for the hirers because the river was running a bit. A certain amount of straight line is the only way to get a 70 footer in.

simon.

I've never tried with a 70' but mine's a 67' and I've not hit anything there for years, mind you I've done the passage 60 odd times at least. The first few times were a little fraught and i even managed to hit the footbridge once in one embarrasing misjudgement of flow and boat speed :D

But now a slow, wide approach then get its nose into the current and a soft hand on the tiller to allow the boat to do what it does best, then at the appropriate moment, a quick bit of opposite lock and a little throttle, normally allows an paint saving entry into the lock.

Paul