Advice - thames

Mrs Panda

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

Sorry haven't been on for a long time.......

We are taking Ellesmere out on Sat, while some of you are going to Ricky, we will be going in the opposite direction and dropping down to Brentford. On Sunday, depending on tides we hope to go on to the Thames and leg it up to the K and A. then onto Woolhampton.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on coping with the Thames. What to look out for, What not to do etc..... The last experience I had of the Thames a few years back was not good. So starting to feel a little nervous.

Anyway, if anyone sees Ellesmere from this Fri to Bank Hol mon. Give us a wave and the kettle is always on. (or bottle of wine open!!!!!) you would be most welcome.

Take care

Mrs P

Hi Everyone,

Sorry haven't been on for a long time.......

We are taking Ellesmere out on Sat, while some of you are going to Ricky, we will be going in the opposite direction and dropping down to Brentford. On Sunday, depending on tides we hope to go on to the Thames and leg it up to the K and A. then onto Woolhampton.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on coping with the Thames. What to look out for, What not to do etc..... The last experience I had of the Thames a few years back was not good. So starting to feel a little nervous.

Anyway, if anyone sees Ellesmere from this Fri to Bank Hol mon. Give us a wave and the kettle is always on. (or bottle of wine open!!!!!) you would be most welcome.

Take care

Mrs P

St Pancras Cyusing Club do a useful guide at:

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk

BW also do Tideway guides - go to bottom of page.:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boa...seful-downloads

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Thanks for the replies, am busy downloading the SPCC notes on the Thames for me to study.

Forgot to ask, also where is the best places to stop for food, pubs and to buy provisions on that route.

Thanks again in advance

Take care

Mrs P

Thanks for the replies, am busy downloading the SPCC notes on the Thames for me to study.

Forgot to ask, also where is the best places to stop for food, pubs and to buy provisions on that route.

Thanks again in advance

Take care

Mrs P

Shopping around Brentford is a bit sparse - best to get provisions at the big Tescos at Bulls Bridge which has canalside access.

Tim

Shopping around Brentford is a bit sparse - best to get provisions at the big Tescos at Bulls Bridge which has canalside access.

Tim

hear him

tesco at bulls bridge plus 24 hr mooring. A bit noisy with delivery lorries but a crackin little place to stock up.

The tidal section is lovely, Just make sure you catch the incoming tide to see you through richmond half tide sluice and then its all plain sailing. The lockie at teddington will probably ask you to tie up just past the footbridge and walk back to sort out your visitor licence, unless your gold of course, and then either stay there over night, nice spot or plod on to the next eyot and hope the visitor mooring there is clear.......wildfowl pooh is a bit of a pain at that loc though.

Dont forget to have your anchor 'deployable' on the tial section

Ok for what it's worth....

-==== CHECK YOUR WEED HATCH === CHECK YOUR ENGINE HAS ENOUGH DEISEL === CHECK THE COOLANT IN YOUR ENGINE ===-

Bit of a story here, actually we used to be moored on the Thames. The key is have respect for her! When her currents are running even on the Non-tidal some boats battle with her and when she's running fast moor up and wait for things to slow down.

The key is to make sure you are not going to have any form of engine failiure, on the canals, if your engine fails you can just drift haplessly to the side, on the Thames you will have the current pulling you and it could all be rather messy. The number of boats who don't check their weed hatch regularly amazes me.

The last time we came down from T to B there were two boats who the previous morning had left Teddngton, given up and returned back up. The other thing to watch is your timescale, allow an extra day. We lost a day once because the Thames Barrier was shut so there was no water at Brentford.

Another time at band camp, we arrived in Brentford lock next to a small boat who's skipper said that he had borrowed the boat from his "NANA" and "NANA" thought it was full of deisel but he wasn't so sure, (also emerged they had no water supply either because the water pump was broken!). Anyway, they'd come off of the Wey navigation, I said to him "It's ok, you go first, if you run out, I'll tow you", low and behold we Towed it from just after Brentford up to Packetboat Marina. Poor things.

Respect that big river. She has a lot of power. Anyone who's done Limehouse (like us) in the winter will know what I mean.

Have a look on the PLA website to see whether there is anything on that day. http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_dyna...site/recreation

The tide tables are all there too.

The last time I went up to Teddington I snapped a fanbelt as soon as I left Brentford even though I had checked them (obviously not well enough!) Fortunately it was slack water and I was able to float about until my mate in another boat could come back and give me a tow.

Just after Richmond, we were stopped by the PLA who gave us a right bollocking and told us the river was closed and we should turn round and go back to Brentford. Apparently there was an event on that day and they had about 300 smal boats coming down from Teddington. "Nobody told us at Brentford" we said - "Why did the lockkeeper let us out, he knew where we were going?" "Your boat and your journey is your responsibility!" they barked. "It's up to you to check the PLA notices, not the Brentford lockkeeper."

Ok, lesson learned, but I still think that episode showed there is a dire lack of communication between the PLA and BW. In the end they let us moor up on a pontoon in Richmond until the tide turned again so we got to Teddington in the end.

Anyway, it's a nice journey. Get to Thames lock at Brentford in plenty of time and be aware that the section after Brentford guaging lock is also semi tidal so watch your ropes when you moor up while you're waiting.

This is a good website too - http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/riverthames.htm

Edited by blackrose

For about 10/15 minutes either side of the top of the tide, you cant get under Brentford High Street Bridge, between the Thames Locks and the Gauging Locks beside the Holiday Inn. Its not a problem waiting but dont take a run at it when the tide is still rising and end up stuck!

I am sure you know already, but you need a VHF Radio and a license to operate it for the tideway below Brentford. Already mentioned, you absolutely must have a proper big anchor complete with the right amount of chain and rope and tied to something really solid on the boat, not the pathetic welded dolly on the rear counter. It would be really quite stupid to go out on the tideway without proper lifejackets too. It is quite likely you will be approached and even boarded by the police around Westminster so allow a bit of time for that.

It has been suggested to me that you drain your water tank down before going out on the tideway (assuming it is in the front) to keep the bow high, and also to fill the diesel tank (assuming it is at the back). The full diesel tank is wise too because in rough conditions with a low tank-full your fuel will slosh about causing grit from the bottom to make its way into the fuel lines.

Above Teddington, head for Kingston Bridge where you can moor outside Waitrose/John Lewis and do some shopping.

Edited by WJM

Thanks again in advance

Take care

Mrs P

There is a Sainsbury a short walk from Staines bridge (to the left going upstream)

The island where the railway crosses at Windsor is a nice quiet place to stop and hide from the sun there is a water point just above the island by the slipway, it's all part of the leisure centre, i think the Waitrose has been re-built now in town.

Big Tesco just above the K&A entrance at Reading with plenty of trees to tie to and stop overnight, since there's not much to stop for on the first stretch of the K&A.

Are you going past Woolhampton?

Sainsbury at Newbury, stop by the wooden footbridge at Greenham Island moorings, also puts you next to the laundrette.

Edit to add, pubs wise we just stopped near lunchtime wherever there was a space with variable quality.

Simon.

Edited by bristol & argo

Tim

Moor at the bottom of Hanwell for excellent shops, including Lidl's, and Wickes, at the top of Green lane

If you stop on the Teddington visitor moorings there's a Tesco's a short walk to the east. But perhaps best of all is Kingston - moor up by John Lewis - Kingston has everything you need

Moor at the bottom of Hanwell for excellent shops, including Lidl's, and Wickes, at the top of Green lane

If you stop on the Teddington visitor moorings there's a Tesco's a short walk to the east. But perhaps best of all is Kingston - moor up by John Lewis - Kingston has everything you need

Talking of Lidl, I just bought an excellent fold up trolley (at that very branch) for about £17. Unlike many fold up jobs it's quite sturdy and supposed to take up to 120kg.

Edited by blackrose

There is a Sainsbury a short walk from Staines bridge (to the left going upstream)

Simon.

Or tie up at 'Homebase' and shortcut across their carpark. Whilst you are there at Sainsburys, reflect that this place was once the Petter Engines factory and before that, Lagonda cars were built on the site.

Also a riverside Tesco with excellent moorings just past Kennet Mouth at Reading

As for pubs, don't miss the Flower Pot, Aston Ferry, just short of Hambledon lock.

I am sure you know already, but you need a VHF Radio and a license to operate it for the tideway below Brentford.

Is is below Brentford (as stated in Waterways World last month) or below Teddington (as I'd always thought)? We're planning to go from Brentford to Teddington, and not sure whether we need to do it - I've heard that it's Teddington in theory but Brentford in practice, but I don't want to risk being turned back at Teddington...

Also, if we did get the VHF and proceeded a bit further to Wandsworth, where we have friends we might meet, is there anywhere to tie up there?

From Port of London. link

</h2>

<h2>Use of VHF Radio

Whenever possible have your vessel fitted with VHF. When navigating on the tidal Thames, recreational craft should monitor the appropriate VTS area VHF channel at all times. In addition to fitting a VHF, recreational boat users are also urged to carry a well-charged mobile phone whenever they are afloat. Mobile phones, however, cannot be regarded as a substitute for marine VHF.

Legal Requirements

Under PLA General Directions for Navigation, vessels of 20 metres or more in length, irrespective of vessel type, must carry a VHF radio capable of communicating with the PLA VTS Centres. Each such vessel must maintain a continuous listening watch on the VHF channel appropriate for the part of the Thames in which it is navigating. Except in emergencies where it may not be possible, the person operating the VHF must be suitably trained and qualified, or under the supervision of a qualified person. Additionally, vessels of 40 metres or more in length and vessels of above 50 gross tons, must report their arrival, departure and passage through the port, at the designated reporting points.

VHF and Narrow Boats

Special arrangements are in place for narrow boats over 20 metres in length, which are in transit between the Grand Union Canal and the non-tidal Thames via the Brentford and Teddington Locks. These vessels should monitor London VTS on VHF channel 14 as described above. However, if no VHF is carried, such vessels should telephone London VTS (Thames Barrier Navigation Centre) to report immediately before, and again on completion of, their transit of the tidal Thames.

Note: The Environment Agency (EA) is the navigation authority for the nontidal Thames above Teddington Lock. If you are planning to use your craft above Teddington you must contact the EA direct. Contact details are included at the back of this booklet.

Is is below Brentford (as stated in Waterways World last month) or below Teddington (as I'd always thought)? We're planning to go from Brentford to Teddington, and not sure whether we need to do it - I've heard that it's Teddington in theory but Brentford in practice, but I don't want to risk being turned back at Teddington...

Also, if we did get the VHF and proceeded a bit further to Wandsworth, where we have friends we might meet, is there anywhere to tie up there?

You definately don't need VHF between Brentford & Teddington .

Treat the tideway as if it were a motorway - i.e. no stopping. (Unless of course you've pre-arranged something with one of the wharfs or docks.)

Edited by blackrose

I thought the 20 metre limit for VHF had been reduced to 15 metres or similar ?

I used to be able to get away with claiiming that our boat had shrunk by 0.4 metres on hitting the cold waters of the Thames, but I couldn't get away with claimng over 5 metres. Luckily we have a permanent VHF fitted nowadays.

I thought the 20 metre limit for VHF had been reduced to 15 metres or similar ?

I used to be able to get away with claiiming that our boat had shrunk by 0.4 metres on hitting the cold waters of the Thames, but I couldn't get away with claimng over 5 metres. Luckily we have a permanent VHF fitted nowadays.

Yes, it was changed late 2006 - I think it's 14.5m now anywhere downstream of Brentford.

Further to my previous quote which states 20m here is another one from 'General directions for navigation' (2006) apparently they are about to be re-issued ( with changes), this states 13.7m.

4. USE OF VHF RADIO

(1) This Direction shall apply to: Reporting Vessels;

Passenger Boats;

Tugs;

Bunker Vessels;

Vessels engaged or intending to engage

in fishing; and

Vessels of 13.7m or more in length overall;

except:

a) recreational narrow boats greater than 13.7m in length overall

navigating between Brentford and Teddington; and

:D other leisure vessels greater than 13.7m in length overall navigating to

the west of Bow Creek, provided that:

i) they are travelling in company or a flotilla;

ii) they are not the lead vessel of that company or flotilla; and

iii) there is a lead vessel, which complies with the requirements of this

Direction and is able to communicate immediately and effectively

with all other vessels in the company or flotilla.

The smillie is nothing to do with me, :D

Edited by bottle

Further to my previous quote which states 20m here is another one from 'General directions for navigation' (2006) apparently they are about to be re-issued ( with changes), this states 13.7m.

I thought I read 14.5m somewhere but perhaps I got it wrong?

Edited by blackrose

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

Hope to be at Brentford on Saturday eve to go on the Thames sometime on Sunday. Still very nervous about it but I have Mr P and my adult stepson with me to sort me out!!!! Some one needs too! :D Have downloaded all the info you have given me and will study it with the others on Saturday.

We are taking Ellesmere from Uxbridge to Woolhampton, but it will be based at Bath-ish for the season. If anyone sees us or the family (Mr P's mum and dad and aunt and uncle) give us a wave.

Take care

Mrs P

Leave Brentford at 12.45 on Sunday so that you go up on the incoming tide. It is perfectly possible to go at other times and punch against the outgoing tide but I have largely given up doing that. Even with a strong modern engine in very good condition, I have become uncomfortable working it so hard and watching it get very hot.

I can cruise for hours on the river at 1800 revs and the temperature sits at 100c. Punching the tide, if I go above 1600 revs I get temperatures of 110c.