Freezers

larkshall

Featured Posts

Are you on a shore line? Are looking at 230V or 12V?

Look at the Shoreline website www.boatfridge.com But if you are going for 12V< check very carefully what your power consumption will be, and what it will cost you if the batteries drop to the point where the low voltage cutout operates, or if on shore line - what if the supply trips?

Has anyone experience of freezers onboard?, I would lik a fridge freezer combo of some description..Have habit of batch cooking and freezing surplus.

No experience of fridge/freezer combos on board but I lived on board for 3 years and used one of these........

http://www.johnlewis.com/230420528/Product.aspx?source=14798

It was fine. Compact enough for a boat and didn't drink electricity.

Edited to add: I was CCiing at the time with no shorepower. kept it full, opened it for the shortest time possible, and only when necessary, and it used about 28 Ahrs per day. Which isn't bad at all.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

in the spec its lists power cut out time 17 hours ,does this mean it will be ok with no power for 17 hours,?? ie if i used a generator when i got home for say four hours would it get down to temp then i could leave it over night and the following day and return and do the same again ice cream would me nice? :lol:

thanks

I suspect that combo fridge/freezers with a little internal door over the freezer compartment use very little additional energy once they ae frozen up.

Presumerably it will be the fridge which loses the most coldness when the door is opened several times a day.

We have a Shoreline one as well.

Hi Larkshall, You do not say how much space you have which is a consideration, we have a shoreline 12v fridge freezer combi, the freezer is only the small type at the top of the unit but you can get quite a bit in it, we run it 24/7 and are very happy with the electricity consumption.

Sorry should have said size, approx 3.5 cubic feet should be ok...

SO far useful suggestions.

Note one comment Good freezer must maintain -18 or lower to maintain storgae times (star rating)... Leaving freezer off for 17 hrs ok once maybe twice, but is to be avoided.. Note some freezer items (Movenpick icecream, should be kept lower than -25c)..

Ah for a -40c unit

We have a wide beam with on shore power (very variable voltage) and run a domestic 6ft 50/50 Hotpoint fridge freezer. It was new 3 1/2 years ago and was a high efficiency model costing £250

It seems to use very little electricity to keep it ticking over. We run both fridge and freezer at absolute minimum settings, keeping the freezer full with bread, ice cream, milk, and all the usual pies, meat etc. If we are on the move, we turn it off when the engine isn't running and make sure we run the engine a couple of hours a day. It takes about 30 minutes for the freeze light to go out and we have never had any problem with things starting to thaw.

Roger