Cormorant

Bones

Featured Posts

'The Countryman's Cookbook' by WFW Fowler

This is my favourite recipe of the year, and I just know you will ALL love it. Many Thanks to my chum James for drawing my attention to it. Wonderful!

First, shoot your cormorant.

Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home . . . these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific.

Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who, if you are in the right area, will give you 3/6d or sometimes 5/- for it. Bury the carcass, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish.

Dig up, skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48 hours.

Remove, dry, and stuff with whole, unpeeled onions . . . the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater - to which two tbsp of chloride of lime have been added - for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry. Meanwhile, mix up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally, roast in a very hot oven for three hours.

The result is unbelievable.

Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

Wonderful. That's got to be high on the list of life's least appealing meals; right up there with concrete.

Imagine Delia - 'First, shoot your truffle.....'

Edited by Boaty Jo

I just read this aloud to my son in my best documentary voice over style

He loved it - very funny - I too must look out for the book

Edited to add

It's called "Countryman's Cooking" by the way - £14.41 from amazon.co.uk or £9.17 for a used copy

Edited by Bazza2

Alternatively, do as the Chinese do and train your cormorant to bring fish back to your boat!

As seen here, at Nanchang in Jiangxi Province. The fishing cormorants are being shepherded along by the three boats at the front.

2411996664_54338501b3.jpg

LOL.

As I started reading it I looked at the date stamp execting 1st April, but no its entirely serious, I can not believe it.

I am very serious I will have you know, and only ever post serious things.