Slow Down Will You!!!!

Featured Posts

A friend of mine was telling me he had to pull over twice in 2 hours the other day to let the speed merchants pass.....you know the ones?  Up your stern gland like there's no tomorrow?

Its not on......we dont want to loose sight of the 'lets slow down and chill', aspect here, do we? ..... Do we want a watery M25?

I remember a couple of yours ago on the Llangollen canal right by the ellesmere port a right speed freak behind us with a boat full of disabled people aboard. what was he thinking?

STOP, SLOW DOWN!

Our boat has a rev limit (the engine might bugger up if we go to far over or something or it vibrates too much :( )

So we never speed! Although I don't pull over when i'm steering much...

Just get some good photos which I can put on my site or just ask the people at the next lock what the hell they are playing at!

Why do some people believe that they have a God given right to lay down what speed others should be travelling at.

The number of times I have sat behind some sanctimonious pratt who believes that no one should travel faster than him, he refuses to let anyone past, he will make a point of not even acknowledging your presence, a toot on the horn will get little response other a superior sort of glare.

He will be taking his extended family for a two hour trip up the canal. If he wants to plod along at tick-over thats up to him, but he insists that everyone else does the same.

I don't like speeders with ghetto blasters on the roof, nor do I like the hollier than thou morons who see themselves as examples to all lesser beings.

Edited by John Orentas

Why do some people believe that they have a God given right to lay down what speed others should be travelling at.

We always go slower than most, but we always let people overtake as soon as its convenant.

- Whats the point of having a steamer if you have a diesal right on you tail!

Daniel

We always go slower than most, but we always let people overtake as soon as its convenant.

- Whats the point of having a steamer if you have a diesal right on you tail!

Daniel

I don't see the connection between having a steamer and a boat with a diesel engine behind you?

A friend of mine was telling me he had to pull over twice in 2 hours the other day to let the speed merchants pass.....you know the ones?  Up your stern gland like there's no tomorrow?

Its not on......we dont want to loose sight of the 'lets slow down and chill', aspect here, do we? ..... Do we want a watery M25?

Oh dear wynd lass on Black Pearl sounds like one of those selfish daudlers who think it's not the done thing to do more than about 2 m.p.h. The cut is getting it's fair share of them these days. These selfish individuals are just as much a menace as the speed merchants. They think its just great to have two or three boats stacked up behind them. Just try to pass if you dare. The first straight stretch will see them weave across to the port side to put you in your place which is according to them going to be in their rear. It really is time something was done to force these crawlers to give way. Fancy the friend of wynd lass having to give way TWICE in 2 hours. My heart bleeds for him. My GPS tells me I travel at 3.3 m.p.h. and leave little if any wash. Why should I be held up so often ?

I don't like speeders or dawdlers (fence)

I came up behind a private boat that was single handed ( I found this out later) he kept disappearing down below, the boat was moving, I slowed as much as possible even going into neutral on numerous occasions. After a while I got a little tired of this and tooted, just to catch his attention, and indicated that I wished to pass. No response. He carried on just the same. So I closed the gap. The other half went up to the bow to talk to him, I got that close, and he was cooking a meal. Well we did eventually get past and pleasantries were exchanged.

Hmm, I'm not so sure "Billypownall" can determine so much information from the post he is quoting. Also I think those people who go too fast past moored boats are a bit self occupied eh?

I too use a gps and I too dont usually go over around 3 1/2 mph. Its funny because 4mph at first seems slow but after, say, a couple of hours of travelling it appears too fast. Most narrowboaters, in my limited experience, are just ambling along at whatever rate they feel comfortable at. And so do I for the most part. Also few, I would assume again from my own limited experience, actually know exactly how fast they are going. Of course they are going fast enough! Which is fine by me.

For my part, and I have done this on more than one occassion, I can see if the boat behind is travelling quicker than I and I will just stop and wait for them to pass. Its OK, Im not in any hurry, not on my boat, not even when I should be. For me thats the whole point.

I dont care if you want to lead, go in front, go faster, I dont care if you want the best mooring, I dont care if you go through the lock first, leave it for me to finish, I dont care if you dont care about me. I'm doing just fine. :( . I love it, and nobodys going to spoil it. :D

Bit of an difficult one for me this topic, as a delivery skipper, I use all available day light and don't stop, apart from locks. So I stick to 4mph, 2mph past moored boats and anglers. Yes it can be frustrating when your on a straight piece of canal and the boat in front is doing 1.5 mph. I have no choice but to sit it out as the boat i'm delivering isn't mine! so I can't risk over taking and having an off!

:( What really annoys me are the boats who see you coming, knowing theres a lock further up and quickly pull out from there mooring in front of you aaaaaaargh :D:blink::(

Ok... feel better now :(

I dont care if you want to lead, go in front, go faster, I dont care if you want the best mooring, I dont care if you go through the lock first, leave it for me to finish, I dont care if you dont care about me. I'm doing just fine. :( . I love it, and nobodys going to spoil it. :D

Nice one, absolutly admrububble......