Paintwork

Featured Posts

Shall be grateful for advice on best methods and materials for cleaning and protecting paintwork above waterline on a steel hull NB not going anywhere near salt water, in particular with an eye on the effect any cleaning or polishing agents may have on future work required when repaint becomes necessary.

For example, some cleaning agents (Fairy liquied?) may not be good for long term protection of paintwork and I believe using some of the silicone based polishes may present problems for future repainting work (difficult to remove the silicone?).

Advice on cleaning and protecting non-slip paint on cabin roofs, such as 'Interdeck' paint, would be especially welcome.

Alan

For the glossy paintwork I always use Mer. Neat (as per instructions) once a year, and on the 3 or 4 other occasions when I give it a wash I add a capful to the bucket of water. Mer is easy to apply and dries to a powder that simply wipes off (note you MUST let it dry completely). The paintwork is glossy black, so looks awful if it isn't perfect, and has twice lasted 7 years between re-paints with this treatment, by which time it was fairly dull. The painters doing the repainting have not complained about it having given them any problems.

Do NOT try using Mer or anything like it on the non-slip areas. You just cannot get rid of the dried powder, ever. Once a year I use Halfords "Advanced car polish" which they claim is 100% biodegradable and is superb at dealing with any moss or algae after the winter. I don't know if it leaves a silicone film over the paint, but the non-slip texture presumably helps any new coats stick to it.

For the glossy paintwork I always use Mer. Neat (as per instructions) once a year, and on the 3 or 4 other occasions when I give it a wash I add a capful to the bucket of water. Mer is easy to apply and dries to a powder that simply wipes off (note you MUST let it dry completely). The paintwork is glossy black, so looks awful if it isn't perfect, and has twice lasted 7 years between re-paints with this treatment, by which time it was fairly dull. The painters doing the repainting have not complained about it having given them any problems.

Do NOT try using Mer or anything like it on the non-slip areas. You just cannot get rid of the dried powder, ever. Once a year I use Halfords "Advanced car polish" which they claim is 100% biodegradable and is superb at dealing with any moss or algae after the winter. I don't know if it leaves a silicone film over the paint, but the non-slip texture presumably helps any new coats stick to it.

I've used MER for many years on car paintwork and rate it highly. Unless someone votes against it, or offers better, I'll take your advice to use it on gloss paintwork but not on the non-slip areas. The bio-degradable Halfords product sounds just the job for non-slip surfaces.

Thanks.

The boat moored next to us was looking fairly dull until the owner wiped it over with ordinary 'baby-oil' which seems to have restored the colour and gloss quite nicely.

Forty five years ago, I was among a small gang of boys who offered to help clean the steam locomotives at Ryde engine shed on the Isle of Wight - the foreman gave us a bucket of diesel oil and several wads of cotton waste to do the job with and after a day's work the paintwork looked beautiful. Furthermore, they seemed to stay that way - at least for the rest of that week.

The boat moored next to us was looking fairly dull until the owner wiped it over with ordinary 'baby-oil' which seems to have restored the colour and gloss quite nicely.

Forty five years ago, I was among a small gang of boys who offered to help clean the steam locomotives at Ryde engine shed on the Isle of Wight - the foreman gave us a bucket of diesel oil and several wads of cotton waste to do the job with and after a day's work the paintwork looked beautiful. Furthermore, they seemed to stay that way - at least for the rest of that week.

There may be something in this oil thing! I've noticed after cleaning up a diesel spill on paintwork that it does seem to shine a bit better. Also, I recollect many years ago being advised to put a spoonful to parrafin (I think it was) in the bucket of water when washing a car.

Hi

Mer is indeed a cracking polish for cars, which are painted in 2 pack cellulose paints. Used on single pack paints (brush or roller applied and air drying) they can attack the finish and cause crazing. I only use water on our cabin sides, if you want to polish then try Craftmasters own polish (01384 485554) which is formulated for boats. Any silicone polish can cause problems at repaint time which is why the car body repair paint people have an anti silicone additive available to add to paint in repair jobs.

Cheers

Dave Moore

Hi

Mer is indeed a cracking polish for cars, which are painted in 2 pack cellulose paints. Used on single pack paints (brush or roller applied and air drying) they can attack the finish and cause crazing. I only use water on our cabin sides, if you want to polish then try Craftmasters own polish (01384 485554) which is formulated for boats. Any silicone polish can cause problems at repaint time which is why the car body repair paint people have an anti silicone additive available to add to paint in repair jobs.

Cheers

Dave Moore

I've not had that problem on mine which were single-pack brushed, Masons or International, but of course different paints may act differently.

Auto Glym for me if its good enough for HRH its good enough for me :Dbut dont even think about using on roofs that would be a death wish very slippery when wet

Edited by denis boyle

Hi

Cheers

Dave Moore

Agreed. I bought both the soap suds and polish from Craftmaster and can confirm whilst it isn't cheap it is fabulous.