medway moorings

Alastair

Featured Posts

A friend is looking to move onto a boat, and is interested in the Medway area.

Does anyone here moor in this area? Recommendations?

Don't really know a lot, but living in this are we spent some time wandering this area looking for boats for sale.

Rochester is a lovely area and the marina there appeared to have people living aboard - no idea if they're official ressys or blind eye, though.

There does seem to be rather more bountiful mooring here than nearby on the Thames, though, and it's cheaper! Also, we noticed in prices that there are some bargains to be had on the bits affected by the tide - but obviously this might affect getting on and off the boat too!

A friend is looking to move onto a boat, and is interested in the Medway area.

Does anyone here moor in this area? Recommendations?

Have been moored on the tidal Medway for over 3 years.

Now when you say Medway are you refering to the River Medway or The area Medway. The reason i ask as im sure your aware the River Medway is split into tidal and non tidal. The upper reaches of the tidal section are in areas quite industrial and the marina where we live has some big ships and lighters with wooden constructions on top of them. This is a residential marina where we have to pay council tax. There are other marinas along the tidal section that i can think of that are more sutied to the GRP brigade. However the ones listed below will take anything

Heres some links for marinas i can think of off the top of my head starting with the most expensive and these are all on the tidal section

Chatham maritime

Port Werburgh

Cuxton marina

Medway Bridge marina

Port Medway marina

The non tidal Medway IMHO probably much more suited to a narrow boat and is looked after by the environment agency. However as for moorings on the non tidal section, the few times i have ventured that way there was a lot of plastic floating around and little room for something 57' x 10'.

Hope that gives you a starting point

Have been moored on the tidal Medway for over 3 years.

Now when you say Medway are you refering to the River Medway or The area Medway. The reason i ask as im sure your aware the River Medway is split into tidal and non tidal. The upper reaches of the tidal section are in areas quite industrial and the marina where we live has some big ships and lighters with wooden constructions on top of them. This is a residential marina where we have to pay council tax. There are other marinas along the tidal section that i can think of that are more sutied to the GRP brigade. However the ones listed below will take anything

Heres some links for marinas i can think of off the top of my head starting with the most expensive and these are all on the tidal section

Chatham maritime

Port Werburgh

Cuxton marina

Medway Bridge marina

Port Medway marina

The non tidal Medway IMHO probably much more suited to a narrow boat and is looked after by the environment agency. However as for moorings on the non tidal section, the few times i have ventured that way there was a lot of plastic floating around and little room for something 57' x 10'.

Hope that gives you a starting point

Beat me to it,

We moored at Port Werburgh a few years back and back then it catered for most types of vessels inc a couple of narrowboats and cruisers, Now it seems there are mainly the bigger barges and various ships and lighters.

Chatham maritime or chatham marina is well laid out but they dont do residential moorings although i believe there are a few people living aboard, They also have rules that no grey water is to be discharged into the marina.

Cuxton is a nice little spot and where we lived for a few months and likewise port medway have a number of residential moorings but my mates barge sits on the mud and only ever truly floats on the very high spring tides a few times a year.

medway bridge marina also have some residential moorings and a decent and cheapest chandlary in the area.

On the Non-tidal river there are moorings at Wateringbury and Yalding and a couple of other spots but they mainly cater for cruisers. A lovely river to visit mind you but not much for the residential boat