Flojet pump lasted only 3 yrs!

Driffman

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I have a Flojet 4325 Series water pump which has just become very noisy. Turns out it has been leaking and its got into a bearing (still pumps ok though).

Now as you know, these pumps arent cheap and I would expect it to last longer than 3 yrs and 3 months. As a livaboard it does get a fair ammount of use but I almost always get showered at work so I wouldnt say its use is excessive.

I'm a bit miffed at having to shell out £150 (+ vat and delivery) for a new one from Aquafax, anyone know anywhere cheaper? Also, do I really need such a big pump (17 l/min at 40psi)? Yes I have 2 bathrooms, one with a bath and one with a shower but I never (well very rarely) use the bath but both toilets, sinks etc get used. The reason I ask is the pump has always been quite loud and that's with loads of towels wrapped around it, I'm guessing a less powerful pump will be quieter?

Cheers,

Dean.

Hi everyone,

I have a Flojet 4325 Series water pump which has just become very noisy. Turns out it has been leaking and its got into a bearing (still pumps ok though).

Now as you know, these pumps arent cheap and I would expect it to last longer than 3 yrs and 3 months. As a livaboard it does get a fair ammount of use but I almost always get showered at work so I wouldnt say its use is excessive.

I'm a bit miffed at having to shell out £150 (+ vat and delivery) for a new one from Aquafax, anyone know anywhere cheaper? Also, do I really need such a big pump (17 l/min at 40psi)? Yes I have 2 bathrooms, one with a bath and one with a shower but I never (well very rarely) use the bath but both toilets, sinks etc get used. The reason I ask is the pump has always been quite loud and that's with loads of towels wrapped around it, I'm guessing a less powerful pump will be quieter?

Cheers,

Dean.

Why not just change the bearing and seal?

I don't know anything about Flojet pumps but if your dissatisfied replace it with a different brand.

I would say that 3 years isn't that bad, but if you ever contact the manufacturers about 12v (or 24v) gear that breaks, they often tell you it was designed for "occasional use" and not liveaboard use (which in my opinion is just another way of saying it's crap), so it's worth asking this question before you buy.

My Shureflo Aquaking is 2 and a half years old now and seems ok, but it's noisy - when it needs replacing I'll go for a Jabsco. I saw them at the London Boat Show and they were very quiet.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for the suggestions guys, thought I'd give Jabsco a try, this is the best price I can find for the Par-Max 4 http://www.mackengineering.co.uk/31705-0092/35.htm

Johnson are supposed to be good:

http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/produ...quajet_wps.html

PM (private message) 'Gary Peacock' and he may be able to do one for a good price.

cheers,

Pete.

Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Dean.

Hello Dean,

I would count yourself lucky, my Flojet lasted 9 months before the pressure switch gave out. I sent the pump back to Flojet but they refused to repair under warranty as the pump was over-rated for my calorifier and accumulator and not recommended for a narrowboat system. After three 'phone calls and two letters getting nowhere I gave up and fitted a 10.6lps pump. Sadly, that's proved not to power the shower beyond half an inch in 15 minutes, so I now have two pumps, one 20psi and one 30 psi mounted in tandem. Hopefully that might work, if it doesn't, it'll be bathroom out time as to get to the mixer unit is going to require me to strip the bathroom from the ceiling down. I hate water pumps - four in two years seems really excessive to me.

Jill

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update,

I decided to take Smileypete's advice and went for a Johnson Aqua Jet WPS 4.0

It's a fair bit quieter (and cheaper) than the old Flojet with only a slight drop in flowrate (15l/min as apposed to 17l/min) but to be honest after 4 months of use I havent noticed any difference. Shower is still very powerfull so I'm a happy bunny!

Just thought I'd share this incase anyone else is looking for a new pump.

These pumps and so many other things should not be regarded as consumable items, in fact there are very few things on narrowboats which are not readily repairable.. I have never bought a replacement pump even though several times they have ceased to function..

It is even possible to buy repair kits for the Sureflow though the bit that usually needs attention, the eccentric ball-race is not included.. The motors are very good quality and seem to last forever.