WARNING

Featured Posts

I find this thread totally outrageous.............

You have judged and sentenced someone on the basis of a non specific rumour!

People have been barred from this forum for lessor offences

I cannot believe that the mods allow this scandelous gossiping

As pointed out it has already cost LB at least one order. If I owned LB I would sue

The Original post was very careful NOT to name names

Once again the snobs who delight in the (potential) misfortune of others seem determined to cause as much trouble as possible

As pointed out it has already cost LB at least one order. If I owned LB I would sue

Once again the snobs who delight in the (potential) misfortune of others seem determined to cause as much trouble as possible

I see you've also been careful not to name ('the snobs') names. :smiley_offtopic:

I disagree. If there are rumours flying about, which have no basis in fact, they could easily make a statement to that effect. It's in their own interest if the rumours are unfounded.

C

Not sure with what you're disagreeing, but if they don't happen to be religiously following this forum, they can hardly be expected to respond instantly.

Tim

I'm sure that if the said company is in trouble the last thing on their minds is to post on here!

There are a number of members who run companies who have posted on this thread, if your company ran into difficulty's would the first thing on your mind be to post on here?

I know that it is nowhere on the same scale but Northan Rock springs to mind with the rumor mill, as one member said it has already cost the said company £35000!

Just noticed on the New Boat Co website that there is no longer any reference to the Liverpool Boat Co based range, I seem to remember it was the Kingfisher and something else. They now appear to be concentrating on the top end, Aqualine etc.

I just hope LB are ok as I bought my boat from them in November and technically have 8 months of warranty remaining !!!

Cheers

Steve

I feel I need to clarify that this rumour has not lost LB a £35,000 sale. My point was that "IF" they stop trading I will not be able to purchase a boat as I cannot afford any other builders prices.

The reason for buying a sailaway is because after the initial outlay and transport to Ireland which will use up all my budget I can basically camp inside as it would be insulated and lined. This will allow me to work at fitting it out as and when monies are available.

The same money will not buy much secondhand as a narrowboat simply will not meet my needs. We don't have narrow guage canals here but depth is a problem in places making it almost impossible for dutch barges to navigate the canals without strapping barrels to the side to provide extra lift.

In a nutshell... If Liverpool Boats continue to trade, and I for one sincerely hope (to any diety that will lend me Their ear) that they do, well they will have my order and hopefully then I will yhen smile away as I struggle to complete the home they started for me.

Simple.

Long live Liverpool Boats

I feel I need to clarify that this rumour has not lost LB a £35,000 sale. My point was that "IF" they stop trading I will not be able to purchase a boat as I cannot afford any other builders prices.

The reason for buying a sailaway is because after the initial outlay and transport to Ireland which will use up all my budget I can basically camp inside as it would be insulated and lined. This will allow me to work at fitting it out as and when monies are available.

The same money will not buy much secondhand as a narrowboat simply will not meet my needs. We don't have narrow guage canals here but depth is a problem in places making it almost impossible for dutch barges to navigate the canals without strapping barrels to the side to provide extra lift.

In a nutshell... If Liverpool Boats continue to trade, and I for one sincerely hope (to any diety that will lend me Their ear) that they do, well they will have my order and hopefully then I will yhen smile away as I struggle to complete the home they started for me.

Simple.

Long live Liverpool Boats

This morning I have been talking to a friend who is very well placed to comment on all this . He confirms the reduncies at Liverpool Boats ( not 80 by the way - more like 50 odd POSSIBLY ) BUT he also says that there is no evidence whatsoever to justify rumours that they have gone out of business and that it would be impossible to keep the lid on it if there were. I for one would be very surprised if they went bust - but I wouldn`t be if they had felt the need to shrink their operation . Here`s hoping anyway - I would hate to be wrong when jobs and customer`s investment are at stake.

I wish I hadn`t started this stream . It was my intention only to suggest that customers and potential customers take sensible precautions when dealing with builders in a particular section of the market because we know that one ( or more - obviously ) are currently struggling. I felt it was the right thing to do. Now we have a whole load of gossip about one builder in particular about whom I know no concrete facts whatsoever other than that they have laid some staff off.

They aren`t even the only ones who`ve done that in the immediate past.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Just noticed on the New Boat Co website that there is no longer any reference to the Liverpool Boat Co based range, I seem to remember it was the Kingfisher and something else. They now appear to be concentrating on the top end, Aqualine etc.

I just hope LB are ok as I bought my boat from them in November and technically have 8 months of warranty remaining !!!

Cheers

Steve

That would probably explain the redundancies at LB as NBC apparently took 200 out of LB's 300 annual boats built. NBC are now offering the (Polish) Aqualine in any length from 57' up to 70'. Looks like the mystery may have been solved.

I remember commenting to the MD of NBC, when I bought my new boat (beginning of 2007), that the current situation was very dangerous for both NBC and LB due to too many eggs in one basket. He agreed and said at the time that he was addressing this issue.

Chris

OUCH, i think that was aimed at me

not sure how to take that i have never been called a snob before, and not sure how what I said classes me as one? i thought forums were made for rumors?

i have no problem with anyone knowing who i am my name, boat and location are clear to see, its secrets that cause problems not gossip

the statement i made was actually a bit more than a rumor it was direct from one of the unfortunate people laid off and as already stated they believe over 80 are going, 8 remaining (i never said LB had finished) and they will continue to trade

your last scentence is so far off the mark, how i could be seen to be delighting in misfotune from what I said I dont know, people are out of work and a company which could easily take orders without coming clean about their possible situation and possibly wiping out peoples savings has been highlighted on this forum

as for sueing me - what for exactly? get real, anyone who places an order for a boat without checking the builder out completely deserves what they get, if they find unsubstansiated rumors change their minds they are shallow and so be it, why do so many people on here feel the need to protect boat builders they are in business, its a dog eat dog world we live in we should all name names and tell it as it is about builders and all other service providers, that way only the best would remain

i actually believe the lower to middle market for English built boats is finished due to imports anyway

as for "People always slag products, and companies" I never slagged anyone i just passed on some info i was given and if it helps to stop someone losing their money i am happy, personaly i think LB did what they did very well (or is that do) but currently i would be re-examining them if i had them on my short list

signed the SNOB

I think we've gone far enough down this route. You will appreciate that I have to be very careful when we are discussing real businesses as the rumour mill could spark real trouble both for the business in question and us as a forum. (threats of legal action etc)

As nothing here can be substantiated (ie checkable source provided) I do not feel it is fair to the builder in question to let it continue.

Phil has put out a general warning and at no time has be stated that any particular builder is going out of business .

If in doubt contact your supplier.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Jon