liverpool boats

colin loach

Featured Posts

not sure i was there two weeks ago and there was about six boats in production, and i think they supply the new boat company along with others.

Yes, I think NBC get priority because they put in such large orders - that's why I went through them. There was hardly any difference in the price. But what's given you cause for concern about your boat now?

Edited by blackrose

Yes, I think NBC get priority because they put in such large orders - that's why I went through them. There was hardly any difference in the price. But what's given you cause for concern about your boat now?

people are saying that there is a slump in the boat trade, plus seven valley have just gone bust, but i think they did not build there own shells, unlike lbc

people are saying that there is a slump in the boat trade, plus seven valley have just gone bust, but i think they did not build there own shells, unlike lbc

Yes, I'm sure there is a slump in the boat trade. Luxury goods are the first things people stop buying when an economy starts to dip, but unless you know something specific about LB then we're just speculating.

As one of the biggest builders I'd imagine they'd be fairly resiliant, but I'm not a business expert.

What stage of production was your boat at 2 weeks ago when you visited? Have you tried calling them?

Yes, I'm sure there is a slump in the boat trade. Luxury goods are the first things people stop buying when an economy starts to dip, but unless you know something specific about LB then we're just speculating.

As one of the biggest builders I'd imagine they'd be fairly resiliant, but I'm not a business expert.

What stage of production was your boat at 2 weeks ago when you visited? Have you tried calling them?

The shell was built and awaiting engine and windows, i have paid most of the money, but i have held some back until the boat is finished, although they did ask for all the money but the boat was not completed, that was 2 days ago. i am waiting for them to phone me back with a delivery date.

me mate recently left the firm , orders down he said and not the same money to be earned but never mentioned any probs being talked about.

There you go!

It's fair enough to be worried. Although LB get a lot of bad press for knocking boats out too quickly and making mistakes, in some senses this can benefit customers. They built my sailaway in about 6 weeks - less time in production means less chance of them going bust while your boat's still in the workshop.

Edited by blackrose

There you go!

It's fair enough to be worried. Although LB get a lot of bad press for knocking boats out too quickly and making mistakes, in some senses this can benefit customers. They built my sailaway in about 6 weeks - less time in production means less chance of them going bust while your boat's still in the workshop.

yes mine was built in six weeks to, but our long did it take them to deliver your boat.

The shell was built and awaiting engine and windows, i have paid most of the money, but i have held some back until the boat is finished, although they did ask for all the money but the boat was not completed, that was 2 days ago. i am waiting for them to phone me back with a delivery date.

Colin

I think you are doing the right thing in holding back your money, seems strange that they want all the money and the boat is not finished.

My thoughts for what they are worth, a visit to LB is required and get them to show you what is yours (photographs and serial numbers) and how much it is worth.

I am sure they will try to put your mind at rest but you can tell them of your worries after the collapse of Severn Valley and others, see if their answer sounds convincing.

It is easy for me to say you should only pay for what is actually yours.

I hope there is not a problem but from what I have heard on this forum and other places, you need to be very distrustful of all boat builders until they prove you wrong.

Good luck

Colin

I think you are doing the right thing in holding back your money, seems strange that they want all the money and the boat is not finished.

My thoughts for what they are worth, a visit to LB is required and get them to show you what is yours (photographs and serial numbers) and how much it is worth.

I am sure they will try to put your mind at rest but you can tell them of your worries after the collapse of Severn Valley and others, see if their answer sounds convincing.

It is easy for me to say you should only pay for what is actually yours.

I hope there is not a problem but from what I have heard on this forum and other places, you need to be very distrustful of all boat builders until they prove you wrong.

Good luck

thanks for the advice i will phone tomorrow and see if i can get a delivery date, if not i will go down to lbc.

If you go there, make sure that the boat they show you really is yours! A friend went there and came away with the distinct impression that they were showed 'a' boat, not 'their' boat.

My feeling is that LB have been dodgy for a while, not helped by their dubious customer service. I understand they have been reluctant to file accounts for a while and have been a bit evasive with customer enquiries. Before you hand over any money, check what you are paying for. A recurrent theme in the stories of recent boat builder disasters is requests for money without evidence of what is what for.

"I understand they have been reluctant to file accounts "

Oh but that is so common these days!

Have a look at the Companies House WebCheck service HERE

It tells some interesting stories not only non filed returns but multiple companies (With same directors.) and well know names you wont find listed because the true company details will be well hidden away behind a trading name in the background.

Have a look and work your way through the adverts in this months magazine it's a real giggle if you have the time to spare! :unsure:

Colin

We got our fully fitted boat from LB in 1999, it took 10 weeks to build and was 10 days later than the original delivery date due to a bereavement.

Don't worry too much about the delivery date as they will want your boat out of the workshop as soon as it is completed so that they can start on another.

Rightly or wrongly we did take a chance and paid the balance about a week before the boat was finished. Whether this spurred them on to finish the boat before the others in the workshop I do not know.

Steve

"I understand they have been reluctant to file accounts for a while "

I have just checked LBC on Companies House and they show no sign of being reluctant to file their accounts.

I should add that I am nothing whatever to do with LBC just a supporter of fair play!

Regards,

Angus

hi

We purchased a sailaway made by LB through The New Boat Company about 18 months ago. From an engineer/ fabricators point of view, I looked at many suppliers and the value in relation to materials used, I think are quite good.

I must say that we have changed some cosmetic things, but on the whole we are happy with what we got, The New Boat company were spot on and delivery was quick and on-time.

Regards

Bear

hi

We purchased a sailaway made by LB through The New Boat Company about 18 months ago. From an engineer/ fabricators point of view, I looked at many suppliers and the value in relation to materials used, I think are quite good.

I must say that we have changed some cosmetic things, but on the whole we are happy with what we got, The New Boat company were spot on and delivery was quick and on-time.

Regards

Bear

Heading South on the A1 yesterday we were caught in a snowstorm behind a widebeam being delivered by LBC. So as of yesterday they were making deliveries.

Oh the irony, I can't even go on the roads without being stuck behind a widebeam!!!

"I understand they have been reluctant to file accounts "

Oh but that is so common these days!

Have a look at the Companies House WebCheck service HERE

It tells some interesting stories not only non filed returns but multiple companies (With same directors.) and well know names you wont find listed because the true company details will be well hidden away behind a trading name in the background.

Have a look and work your way through the adverts in this months magazine it's a real giggle if you have the time to spare! :unsure:

hi gary look at link to site ,,when it says over due does that mean tax returns ..IE (company in trouble ).... cheers mark

An annual return is a snapshot of certain company information at the made-up date. It is separate from a company's annual accounts. An annual return must contain the following information:

the name of the company;

its registered number;

the type of company it is, for example, private or public;

the registered office address of the company;

the address where certain company registers are kept if not at the registered office;

the principal business activities of the company

the name and address of the company secretary;

the name, usual residential address, date of birth, nationality and business occupation of all the company's directors;

the date to which the annual return is made-up (the made-up date).

And if the company has share capital, the annual return must also contain:

the nominal value of total issued share capital;

the names and addresses of shareholders and the number and type of shares they hold or transfer from other shareholders.

Further, If the annual return is filed late, or not at all, the company and its director(s) and secretary can be prosecuted.

Chris