Vinyl stencils for boat name???

purdey

Featured Posts

We are shortly having blacking done so will be re-naming when back in the water. Yes, I know its pathetic, but I am. Looking at the ad for marine vinyl stencils, and wonder if anyone can recommend???

Thanks v much.

We are Rugby.

Looking at the ad for marine vinyl stencils, and wonder if anyone can recommend???

Just think of the children of the poor signwriter that won't eat tonight because you got vinyl instead of having it done proper.

If you do go for stencils and it’s for the top bends at the front, bear in mind that if you get the writing printed straight it will look really naff when on a curved surface. For instance if you open a yoghurt pot flat, you'll see the writing is on a curve so it looks straight when the pot is made up. A signwriter will allow for that and the fact that the bends taper so the writing should too.

I've used them with excellent results, though will add I sprayed through rather than brushed. My local signmaker cut them from my own data supplied to him on a CD. Some of the graphics were multi colour and required overlaying four separate stencils, but it worked out a treat. I will say that the finished work still looks like stickers rather than craftsman applied by brush.

A signwriter will allow for that and the fact that the bends taper so the writing should too.
What you also find is that the human touch allows for altering shapes and spacings of letters that look wrong together (eg. L followed by O, G or C) whereas a computer just does as it's told..... :D

But a stencil as a base and then some frehand brishwork over the top to highlight or add detail, might lose that cartoony stencil effect and make it look more hand crafted.

We are shortly having blacking done so will be re-naming when back in the water. Yes, I know its pathetic, but I am. Looking at the ad for marine vinyl stencils, and wonder if anyone can recommend??? Thanks v much.
If you're after something more original, and have access to a reasonable pc (you're here so maybe you do...?) could you devise your own using Word, Publisher or Photoshop? And then it'd be almost free!

:D A wordsmith as always, Mister Jones! :rolleyes:

But it is, in fact, Mabel Stark.

Fair enough. I reckon either of my interpretations could be applied to someone who was "the worlds premier tiger trainer of the 1920s, specializing in highly sexualized circus acts".

In answer to the Purdey's original post - I've use them a couple of times, and found them fine for just a single line of writing on a flat board, provided you get the computer to space them right and don't mind them looking "too good to be true"; but they don't look quite right when there's more than one line of text (real signwriters make the size slightly different for each line) and as Chris says above, they really don't work on curved surfaces like the bows

Allan

stencils or stick-on writing?

I've used the stick-on tapes and writing from Sacboatnames with great success. There is a huge variety of lettering styles and lots of curly bits.

Very easy to apply, even single-handed.

Thanks for that. Will prob go that route, only one word and on flat panel, so maybe a curly also!! Next task is to take tibetan prayer thingy (we have tibetan terriers/terrorists) and get made into large transfer for other panel. Not clever enough to do myself. Any ideas gratefully received.

Vinyl's ok. It's supposed to last about 5 years, but I think I'll get mine done properly when I next repaint my boat.

I might try to figure out some way of going over the outline so that once I take the vinyl off I can fill it in myself with signwriting paint.

DSC00489.jpg

Sorry I can't remember who made the vinyl decals but there are lots of places that do them for vans, busses, etc.

Edited by blackrose

I might try to figure out some way of going over the outline so that once I take the vinyl off I can fill it in myself with signwriting paint.

Pretty nifty bit of design, did you do it?.

Could always paint over the lot then take the sticky stuff off and there will be an image left.

Pretty nifty bit of design, did you do it?.

Could always paint over the lot then take the sticky stuff off and there will be an image left.

It might be a bit difficult to see the image if I painted over the same colour, but probably good enough to see where the signwriting paint should go.

It wasn't my design. I did a google image search and found it. I think it was the logo for a Goth S&M group! If a member came strolling down the towpath they might get the wrong idea :D

Edited by blackrose

Vinyl's ok. It's supposed to last about 5 years, but I think I'll get mine done properly when I next repaint my boat.

Mike

I had vinyl name stickers on my f/g cruiser for 15 years and they were still in really good nick at the end of that time.

Chris