Fitting a Calorifier

Featured Posts

Hi

I would like some advice on the correct way of piping in my new calorifier to my 1.5L BMC Diesel (Keel Cooled) powered narrowboat.

I have connected the single coil calorifier in series with the keel tank but don't get any flow through of coolant. Can anyone advise me on how and where the pipes should be connected to the header tank / engine / water pump please.

thank you

Paul Jackson

Hi

I would like some advice on the correct way of piping in my new calorifier to my 1.5L BMC Diesel (Keel Cooled) powered narrowboat.

I have connected the single coil calorifier in series with the keel tank but don't get any flow through of coolant. Can anyone advise me on how and where the pipes should be connected to the header tank / engine / water pump please.

thank you

Paul Jackson

I will TRY and remember to write mine down in some sensible notion. DO PM me if I forget. Or PM me your phone number and I will call you and talk you through it.

Hi Paul

On the back of the BMC block between the rocker cover and heat exchanger/exhaust there should be a plug (sometimes used for drain tap or temperature sensor), this is the the point where the take off to the calorifier should be made (hottest water - furthest point from thermostat, inlet and outlet). Only problem is where to take the return, back to the hot side of the keel tank? or the cold input to the engine pump? Rather depends on the system, load and overheating characteristics.

When you say you have connected it in series, how big are your pipes, there is a danger that the flow will be restricted. The water pump on a BMC is not very efficient and does not like a large head, so if the engine is run for any length of time you will probably find it overheats under load. This also explains why your not getting any flow as you will have to wait for the thermostat to open!

Its a good idea to include valves or isolators in the connections for serviceing/removing engine without having to drain off!

Best of luck.

:wacko:

Hi Robin

Thank you for your advice. I am going to give this a try. Will let you know of outcome.

cheers

Paul J

Hi Paul

On the back of the BMC block between the rocker cover and heat exchanger/exhaust there should be a plug (sometimes used for drain tap or temperature sensor), this is the the point where the take off to the calorifier should be made (hottest water - furthest point from thermostat, inlet and outlet). Only problem is where to take the return, back to the hot side of the keel tank? or the cold input to the engine pump? Rather depends on the system, load and overheating characteristics.

When you say you have connected it in series, how big are your pipes, there is a danger that the flow will be restricted. The water pump on a BMC is not very efficient and does not like a large head, so if the engine is run for any length of time you will probably find it overheats under load. This also explains why your not getting any flow as you will have to wait for the thermostat to open!

Its a good idea to include valves or isolators in the connections for serviceing/removing engine without having to drain off!

Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Paul

Best of luck.

Hi Robin

Having located and removed the plug in the BMC block I am struggling to identify what thread size this is. Do you know? If so are there any standard fittings that I could obtain or do you have to make something special to adapt to a 5/8" hose?

regards

Paul Jackson