Are you a member?

ChrisG

Featured Posts

No.

Or am I. Seem to remember may be a member of one by being affiliated though being in the Lincoln Boat Club.

I hadn't thought about people being members via their existing club membership - I suppose that may well be true of many people.

The reason I asked the question is that there's a lot of stuff here about what people do or don't (usually don't) like about mooring costs, waterways management, etc - and I just was wondering if complaining here acts as a safety value, but makes people feel that they don't need to do something more actually worthwhile than just posting here.

We know that Eugene, for instance, used to read what appeared here, but does anyone else from BW? Or do they just giggle when they do, saying something like, let them complain all they like there - as long as they don't complain directly to us, to to someone who can make a difference or at least make a few waves, why should we care?

What other options are there, I have been a member of both outfits in my time.. The IWA became the running dogs of BW and NABO became little more than a talking shop though in fairness they probably did as much as was possible.. The problem is the average boat-owner it not the most naturally militant of folk, and can any organisation be more assertive and aggressive than the individuals.

Trouble is we lost the early pioneers and ended up with a useless crowd who are happier discussing the merits of inverters and curtain fabrics.

What other options are there, I have been a member of both outfits in my time.. The IWA became the running dogs of BW and NABO became little more than a talking shop though in fairness they probably did as much as was possible.. The problem is the average boat-owner it not the most naturally militant of folk, and can any organisation be more assertive and aggressive than the individuals.

Trouble is we lost the early pioneers and ended up with a useless crowd who are happier discussing the merits of inverters and curtain fabrics.

RBOA, HNOC, WRG. All of them have done more than the other two, perhaps because they are more focussed towards a section of the waterways.

The problem with the IWA pioneers is like most boaters (see this forum, for examples), they fell out and, unfortunately, the ego won.

RBOA, HNOC, WRG. All of them have done more than the other two, perhaps because they are more focussed towards a section of the waterways.

The WRG is the one which has the highest profile, of course, Carl, and it is owned by the IWA. The other two seem very minority, although both do some very worthwhile work in their respective areas.

Nice to see you, Eugene . . .

I think Carl is absolutely right to mention that there are many other organisation than IWA and NABO. I don't think it's too important which organisation to support (although as a NABO council member I am naturally biased ) but in these days of stringent cutbacks it is increasingly important to add your voice to the growing expressions of concern about some of the blatant mismanagement which takes place on the waterways. The best way of doing this in my view is to join an organisation which you think best represents your views.

Howard Anguish