Leylandii conifers & wood burning stoves.

tosher

Featured Posts

Has anyone out there used Leylandii logs on there wood burning stove? I've just chopped down several conifers in the garden which would make lovely logs for the multi fuel stove on the boat but I am a bit worried that the high resin content might cause problems. It would be a shame to dump them if they can be used for fuel. Any advice ?

I used some on my stove at home, they need to be split as the bark is fire resistant, and it works best if you get a good fire going first with some hardwood/coal. Don't know if my flue is now lined with resin waiting to burst into flames!

<_<

Steve

I used some on my stove at home, they need to be split as the bark is fire resistant, and it works best if you get a good fire going first with some hardwood/coal. Don't know if my flue is now lined with resin waiting to burst into flames!

:cheers:

Steve

Make sure you have a decent carbon monoxide alarm if burning any sort of wood. falls of soot and carbon blocked chimneys are lethal.

Sue

I've burned a complete load of leylandii logs before. They're fine if a little fast burning; they are softwood after all.

Burned some on a bonfire once, near frightened me to death. Went up like Napalm.

Funny that, I always have trouble getting them going and they don't burn vigorously at all, perhaps I haven't dried them enough.

I think John O's talking about burning them with all the brush on, and yes they do go whoomf!
Yeah its bloody good isnt it!

- We have about 14ft of laylandi (about 10ft high) as a 'tempepary' windbreak while the new hedge grows up, bloody horrable stuff, makes me itch as well if i get the stuff on me.

Daniel

Burned wood for thirty years, not dead yet. If it burns use it. thats what stoves are about.

Andy

I didn't say don't burn it. We have burnt wood for 20yrs on our boat. Just be aware of the problems. Our stove has tried to kill us three times. The first time the dog woke us, the next two the alarm went off. And yes we do maintain the stove.

Sue