Stopping points on 4 counties

Maverick

Featured Posts

Off to do the 4 counties ring this Friday.

Start from Etruria down heartbreak hill. 1st night stop at Hassle Green. 2nd night at Kings Lock. 3rd day we turn onto the middlewich branch and enter new terrortory for us until we rejoin the Trent & Mersey at Great Haywood.

Anyone suggest any good night stops please? :)

Nantwich

Audlem

Market Drayton

Gnosall

Wheaton Aston

Brewood

Isloated moorings 3 miles from Autherley on the Shroppie.

Penkridge

Radford Bridge

Moored at all of those places over the years - most of them for the pubs :)

Off to do the 4 counties ring this Friday.

Anyone suggest any good night stops please? :)

Nice trip... did it clockwise a couple of weeks back - I'll try to dig out my diary later in the week

For a start tho, the only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is to stop above the lock one up from Audlem and walk in. Oh - and avoid the Stroppy Fly at all costs! The Bridge is far more friendly (see previous threads on the subject)

Have a good hol

Allan

(edited cuz I can't spell)

Edited by AllanW

Nantwich

Audlem

Market Drayton

Gnosall

Wheaton Aston

Brewood

Isloated moorings 3 miles from Autherley on the Shroppie.

Penkridge

Radford Bridge

Moored at all of those places over the years - most of them for the pubs :wub:

I'd add High Offley (Bridge 42 on the Shroppie) for "The Anchor" (as long as you're happy to dine on beer and crisps) :) Norbury Junction is also always very popular with visiting boaters.

We always like to moor on the Weaver aqueduct on the Middlwich arm. Tip for this time of year go up Audlem late in the day, we started at 5pm last August and had a really easy time, try and avoid first thing in the morning when every man his dog and mistress are on the move! Moorings are good at the top and its a sobering walk back up from the pub. The damsons might just be ripe at the site of the cottage half way up as a bonus.

Penkridge is worth stopping at for the good bakers and butchers - both increasingly rare these days. avoid M Drayton its like a ghost town - all charity shops: most of them doing so badly that they have sales on.

The italian at Wheelock does a decent meal and so does the chippy there. There peaceful moorings just before Autherley junction as well. Have a good trip.

We always like to moor on the Weaver aqueduct on the Middlwich arm. Tip for this time of year go up Audlem late in the day, we started at 5pm last August and had a really easy time, try and avoid first thing in the morning when every man his dog and mistress are on the move! Moorings are good at the top and its a sobering walk back up from the pub. The damsons might just be ripe at the site of the cottage half way up as a bonus.

Penkridge is worth stopping at for the good bakers and butchers - both increasingly rare these days. avoid M Drayton its like a ghost town - all charity shops: most of them doing so badly that they have sales on.

The italian at Wheelock does a decent meal and so does the chippy there. There peaceful moorings just before Autherley junction as well. Have a good trip.

I would agree about Market Drayton. Not only is it now a ghost town, but there were a few cases of "trouble" last year, so perhaps best avoided.

However, I must disagree about Wheelock.

Sad to report the the Italian has gone, to be replaced by a Carvery that appears not to open evenings.

Not that this should concern you. We ate there a couple of weeks ago, and it joined a select list of only three establishments where we have found it necessary to answer the inevitable "was everything OK with your meal" in the negative.

The meal was just about totally inedible, and the only redeeming feature was that they accepted this with good grace and tore the bill up.