Visitor mooring at Keadby

Dragonfly-CNevin

Featured Posts

Heading to Keadby from Doncaster on Monday. Will have to moor up at Keadby Tues or Wed to wait for tide. Does anyone know if there are good visitor moorings there anywhere? :)

Nicholsons have visitors moorings just before the swing bridge at Keadby. If you need more info I'm sure the Keadby lockkeeper will be able to help on 07733 124611 0r 01977 554351.You could also stop at Thorne - there are morings available near Stanilands Marina and also just past Thorne Bridge.

HTH

Howard Anguish

Heading to Keadby from Doncaster on Monday. Will have to moor up at Keadby Tues or Wed to wait for tide. Does anyone know if there are good visitor moorings there anywhere? :)

There are secure moorings on short pontoon fingers at Thorne. Keadby is at least 4hrs further on. There are visitor moorings BEYOND (coming from Doncaster) the railway sliding bridge and BEFORE the main road swing bridge. There is a BW sanitary block there, water and a handy pub. The food in the pub is quite good, if a little pricey for the surroundings, but the whole area is peaceful enough. Only problem we had there last month was we had an early start, and some dozey fisherman had left three baited rods out overnight. He then thought it was my fault for not realising they were there as I broke one line after another. On the plus side there was a marsh harrier hunting on the southern bank and a hen harrier hunting on the northern bank within 200 yards of each other. Spectactular..............

Edited by Derek Porteous

Thanks, we are on our way up to Sandall for the night. :)

I think you will have to enter the Stainforth and Keadby.I believe you might be able to moor near the Sanitary Station there.Failing that, you will have to go to Thorne.
Great - this is what I needed to know. Cheers.Colette :lol:
Nicholsons have visitors moorings just before the swing bridge at Keadby. If you need more info I'm sure the Keadby lockkeeper will be able to help on 07733 124611 0r 01977 554351.You could also stop at Thorne - there are morings available near Stanilands Marina and also just past Thorne Bridge.HTHHoward Anguish
Thanks for the info - hope we don't break any fishing rods! :wub:
There are secure moorings on short pontoon fingers at Thorne. Keadby is at least 4hrs further on. There are visitor moorings BEYOND (coming from Doncaster) the railway sliding bridge and BEFORE the main road swing bridge. There is a BW sanitory block there, water and a handy pub. The food in the pub is quite good, if a little pricey for the surroundings, but the whole area is peaceful enough. Only problem we had there last month was we had an early start, and some dozey fisherman had left three baited rods out overnight. He then thought it was my fault for not realising they were there as I broke one line after another. On the plus side there was a marsh harrier hunting on the southern bank and a hen harrier hunting on the northern bank within 200 yards of each other. Spectactular..............

The food in the pub is quite good, if a little pricey for the surroundings,

There is another pub a short distance north of the swing bridge which, around 4 years ago, was serving very generous portions!

Only problem we had there last month was we had an early start, and some dozey fisherman had left three baited rods out overnight. He then thought it was my fault for not realising they were there as I broke one line after another. On the plus side...

You mean breaking three rods wasn't a plus?

<runs for cover>

I don't like to hurt anyone's enjoyment really - Fishermen can be a bit abnoxious at times I know, but most of them wave to us.

Thanks for the extra info about good pubs! :)

[color="#0000FF"

There is another pub a short distance north of the swing bridge which, around 4 years ago, was serving very generous portions!

You mean breaking three rods wasn't a plus?

<runs for cover>

Last time i went through keadby lock on the tide , i moored on the left (long term moorings) approaching from thorne , the right hand side is overnight but is a driveway width from a very noisy pub that has entertainment on the weekend.

If you moor on the left , there is a locked gate accessible with a bwb key.

If you want a decent good value evening meal, go through the gate and turn left, there is a pub on the left hand side on a bend in the road a few hundred yards down ..... but make sure you nip in earlier to book a table especially weekends as they get very busy.

Finally it is a good idea to book your passage through the lock as early as possible as a lot turn up on spec the day before and it can cost you an hour or two of tide if your not in first.

Enjoy the trip

Rick

Wow, I didn't expect so much help... thanks for the useful information. :)

Last time i went through keadby lock on the tide , i moored on the left (long term moorings) approaching from thorne , the right hand side is overnight but is a driveway width from a very noisy pub that has entertainment on the weekend.

If you moor on the left , there is a locked gate accessible with a bwb key.

If you want a decent good value evening meal, go through the gate and turn left, there is a pub on the left hand side on a bend in the road a few hundred yards down ..... but make sure you nip in earlier to book a table especially weekends as they get very busy.

Finally it is a good idea to book your passage through the lock as early as possible as a lot turn up on spec the day before and it can cost you an hour or two of tide if your not in first.

Enjoy the trip

Rick